BR Old Skool route

DaveB

Guest
Just Gags, Blah and myself today largely due to the Hawthorn CC road
race (and we're all looking forward to the race report on that one).
Talk about a glorious day for a ride. Not a cloud in the sky, warm and
absolutely no wind. I had a very scary moment on the unsealed road works
section where I hit a deep patch of gravel and got the death wobbles.
Couldn't hit the brakes because skidding definitely would have sent me
down so just had to hang on and hope for the best with bitumen only 20
metres ahead. Made it but the heart rate was definitely up for a
downhill section.

Gags and I both had to get to our homes early so we turned off at
Kangaroo ground down to Wattle Glen. We hadn't done that since BR
started extending routes out to Panton Hill and I'd forgotten how
enjoyable that downhill section could be, especially when there is no
rain. Smooth road, long sweeping curves and downhill - Perrrrrrfect.

Stopped for a donut break at Diamond Creek and then the usual route
hope. The one lowlight was the ******** passenger who reached out of a
car to slap my arms as they drove past through the backstreets of
Watsonia. There was an initial surge to chase them but sanity prevailed
and we continued on our way.

DaveB

HCC RR:

Quick one before I go off and shower/eat/sleep

Elite Men: 7 riders down to 5 after two came down in the bunch - nasty
stuff, one suspected collar bone brake and one with deep gouges on knee/arm.
That put a dampener on things. Of the 5 of us left, three were working the
front, while two just sat on... 90kms later it was a bunch sprint and being
the nice guy I was I did the last 5-6kms on the front :).. Sprint went at
about 400-500m, I pushed along and just missed third by 1/2 a wheel.. first
road race, lots to learn.. Oh, 2nd and 3rd were the dudes who didn't work
all day.. lovely tactics guys.. still, there is no rule against that..

I won the 'potty mouth' award.. just when I thought I had 3rd secured, I
could see the dude's shadow on my wheel then just come past on the line...
which for some reason made me yell "FF**CCCCKKKKKKK!!!!!
FF**CCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!" really loud..

My other excuse: 1st was an A grade track sprinter, who sat on my wheel the
last few kms..

All up a great day, a bloody hard race, lots of fun, lots of tactics to
learn..

cheers,
GPL

oh, official times and gf's pic results... 1-2 were 2:40:50 and 3-4 was
2:40:51... I cant bring myself to even speak of how close 3-4 were... I'm
goin to have a sook now! ;)

heh

cheers,
GPL

"DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Just Gags, Blah and myself today largely due to the Hawthorn CC road
> race (and we're all looking forward to the race report on that one).
> Talk about a glorious day for a ride. Not a cloud in the sky, warm and
> absolutely no wind. I had a very scary moment on the unsealed road works
> section where I hit a deep patch of gravel and got the death wobbles.
> Couldn't hit the brakes because skidding definitely would have sent me
> down so just had to hang on and hope for the best with bitumen only 20
> metres ahead. Made it but the heart rate was definitely up for a
> downhill section.
>
> Gags and I both had to get to our homes early so we turned off at
> Kangaroo ground down to Wattle Glen. We hadn't done that since BR
> started extending routes out to Panton Hill and I'd forgotten how
> enjoyable that downhill section could be, especially when there is no
> rain. Smooth road, long sweeping curves and downhill - Perrrrrrfect.
>
> Stopped for a donut break at Diamond Creek and then the usual route
> hope. The one lowlight was the ******** passenger who reached out of a
> car to slap my arms as they drove past through the backstreets of
> Watsonia. There was an initial surge to chase them but sanity prevailed
> and we continued on our way.
>
> DaveB

As Dave said......I started to chase them down but decided to stay on our
normal route and turn right at a roundabout. The brave boys in the BMW put
the hammer down when they realised I was catching them and they basically
went through the roundabout without slowing down (luckily nothing was coming
from the right although it might have been a bit of poetic justice if a nice
big 4wd with a nice big bull bar had spun them around so that we could have
a chat - no injuries incurred of course).

I have the number plate locked into the photographic memory and I am sure
that I will see them again sooner or later (those personalised plates with
only 4 letters are easy to memorise!!!!).

Apart from that, it was a great day for a ride even if it was only just over
50km for me.

Ride On,

Gags

On 2005-10-02, Gags (aka Bruce)
> As Dave said......I started to chase them down but decided to stay on our
> normal route and turn right at a roundabout. The brave boys in the BMW put
> the hammer down when they realised I was catching them and they basically
> went through the roundabout without slowing down

Nice.

> I have the number plate locked into the photographic memory and I am sure
> that I will see them again sooner or later (those personalised plates with
> only 4 letters are easy to memorise!!!!).

So, um, what was it? :)

Just so I know who to look out for...

> Apart from that, it was a great day for a ride even if it was only just over
> 50km for me.

My sleep in was nice :)

--
TimC