BR: S-Works Epic

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Mattb, Jan 27, 2003.

  1. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    I just got the M5 S-Works FSR frameset and built it up. My S-Works M4 was pretty nicely equipped
    with XT and XTR stuff, 517's, SRAM 9.0 cassette, and a Manitou Black Elite Air (80 mm) so I put all
    of those pieces on the new frame (with a couple of new ones, like the Strongarm II crankset & XT
    splined BB). The end result was a 26 pound bike. Not bad for a FS. It's hard for me to give up a
    few pounds coming from my weight-weenie background, but this seems like a reasonable trade. After
    six rides I think I can make a reasonable assessment of it. Initially the bike seemed much more
    laid back, angle-wise, than my old XC hardtail. It felt pretty good to be back a little more on the
    bike. Not as twitchy as being up over the head tube like I was before. Climbing still feels very
    solid and I can't tell if I've lost any technical responsiveness (so if I have it's insignificant).
    No problems keeping the front wheel down on steep stuff and the traction is also very good. I like
    the lower top tube position too. I would always bang my knee on my old top tube on technical
    ascents. I haven't hit the new bike's top tube once. On the first real ride, I was definitely
    noticing the suspension. Landing a jump on the back wheel felt so nice. The bike just sticks on a
    landing. The Brain shock seems to work just like they said it would. When I stand up and crank on
    it, it feels just like a hardtail. No lateral slop or bobbing. Very solid. Then, when I'd hit some
    chop or a bump it would immediately be sucking them up and significantly taking the edge off. I
    couldn't notice any lag between hardtail mode and FS mode. Rolling up on an obstacle I could bunny
    hop it with a hardtail takeoff and then get a FS landing. It felt a little strange at first but I'm
    already pretty used to
    it. It still feels light and responsive, which was something I was afraid I might loose going to a
    heavier bike with rear suspension. My only complaint is the slight rattling sound that the brain
    makes from contact with the frame. When the bike was being built, the guy at the shop noticed
    this as well and thought it was a loose mount or something along those lines. It's actually part
    of how the brain works (according to Specialized) and it's supposed to do that. We ended up
    gluing a little piece of inner tube on the part of the frame that makes contact (inside the rear
    triangle). This has deadened the sound significantly and it's much better now. It's much softer
    than the sound of chain-slap and I'm already having to listen for it if I'm trying to isolate
    that sound. Once spring sets in up here I'll be (hopefully) getting out a lot more. That will
    give me a chance to give a follow-up longer term evaluation. Overall I'm very happy with it and
    have no major complaints.

    Matt

    Tags:

  2. Carla A-G

    Carla A-G Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    from
    > contact with the frame. When the bike was being built, the guy at the shop noticed this as well
    > and thought it was a loose mount or something along those lines. It's actually part of how the
    > brain works (according to Specialized) and it's supposed to do that. We ended up gluing a little
    piece
    > of inner tube on the part of the frame that makes contact (inside the rear triangle). This has
    > deadened the sound significantly and it's much better now. It's much softer than the sound of
    > chain-slap and I'm already having
    > listen for it if I'm trying to isolate that sound. Once spring sets in up here I'll be (hopefully)
    > getting out a lot
    more.
    > That will give me a chance to give a follow-up longer term evaluation. Overall I'm very happy with

    Nice, thanks for the honest review...keep us updated for the long term...

    - CA-G

    Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

  3. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>

    > Nice, thanks for the honest review...keep us updated for the long term...
    >
    > - CA-G
    >
    > Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

    Sure. This was the AM-B review. On MTBR I'll post the following:

    The Epic is the bestest bike everrrrr!!!!!!!!! I know it's better than all other full suspension
    bikes because it is #1!!!!!! Yeah, baby!!! iT'S PERFECT FOR ALL TERRAIN AND i KNOW THIS EVUN BEFORE
    i HAVE RIDDEN ALL TERRAIN.

    mAtT

  4. Zilla

    Zilla Guest

    Cool review. How was it on fast terrain that only had "little" bumps? Did the Brain absorb them?

    --
    - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

> [...]
    from
    > contact with the frame. When the bike was being built, the guy at the shop noticed this as well
    > and thought it was a loose mount or something along those lines. It's actually part of how the
    > brain works (according to Specialized) and it's supposed to do that. We ended up gluing a little
    piece
    > of inner tube on the part of the frame that makes contact (inside the rear triangle). This has
    > deadened the sound significantly and it's much better now. It's much softer than the sound of
    > chain-slap and I'm already having
    > listen for it if I'm trying to isolate that sound. Once spring sets in up here I'll be (hopefully)
    > getting out a lot
    more.
    > That will give me a chance to give a follow-up longer term evaluation. Overall I'm very happy with

  5. Westie

    Westie Guest

    "MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]... <snip>
    > Sure. This was the AM-B review. On MTBR I'll post the following:
    >
    > The Epic is the bestest bike everrrrr!!!!!!!!! I know it's better than all other full suspension
    > bikes because it is #1!!!!!! Yeah, baby!!! iT'S PERFECT FOR ALL TERRAIN AND i KNOW THIS EVUN
    > BEFORE i HAVE RIDDEN ALL TERRAIN.
    >
    > mAtT

    Call me shallow, but I quite like this one.

    Westie

  6. Mattb

    Mattb Guest

    "Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Cool review. How was it on fast terrain that only had "little" bumps? Did the Brain absorb them?
    >
    > --
    > - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

    Thanks. If the small bumps are jarring enough it activates the shock. I was riding this ridge-top
    near my house on Sunday that gets a lot of exposure. The sun and cross wind had shaped the snow into
    something similar to that texture they put on roads to warn you you're too close to the edge. It was
    also very hard (I had been riding this crust like it was slickrock where the shapes were smoother).
    Cruising along on it at a good clip I could tell the texture was there, but the shock just ate it
    up. It felt very smooth. It was good and it made me happy. Now, weather or not that qualifies as a
    "little" bump to you, I do not know. The overall feel of the bike is the shock is active when it
    needs to be. Just like the advertising hype, it "knows".

    Matt