BR: S-Works Epic

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mattb

I just got the M5 S-Works FSR frameset and built it up. My S-Works M4 was pretty nicely equipped
with XT and XTR stuff, 517's, SRAM 9.0 cassette, and a Manitou Black Elite Air (80 mm) so I put all
of those pieces on the new frame (with a couple of new ones, like the Strongarm II crankset & XT
splined BB). The end result was a 26 pound bike. Not bad for a FS. It's hard for me to give up a
few pounds coming from my weight-weenie background, but this seems like a reasonable trade. After
six rides I think I can make a reasonable assessment of it. Initially the bike seemed much more
laid back, angle-wise, than my old XC hardtail. It felt pretty good to be back a little more on the
bike. Not as twitchy as being up over the head tube like I was before. Climbing still feels very
solid and I can't tell if I've lost any technical responsiveness (so if I have it's insignificant).
No problems keeping the front wheel down on steep stuff and the traction is also very good. I like
the lower top tube position too. I would always bang my knee on my old top tube on technical
ascents. I haven't hit the new bike's top tube once. On the first real ride, I was definitely
noticing the suspension. Landing a jump on the back wheel felt so nice. The bike just sticks on a
landing. The Brain shock seems to work just like they said it would. When I stand up and crank on
it, it feels just like a hardtail. No lateral slop or bobbing. Very solid. Then, when I'd hit some
chop or a bump it would immediately be sucking them up and significantly taking the edge off. I
couldn't notice any lag between hardtail mode and FS mode. Rolling up on an obstacle I could bunny
hop it with a hardtail takeoff and then get a FS landing. It felt a little strange at first but I'm
already pretty used to
it. It still feels light and responsive, which was something I was afraid I might loose going to a
heavier bike with rear suspension. My only complaint is the slight rattling sound that the brain
makes from contact with the frame. When the bike was being built, the guy at the shop noticed
this as well and thought it was a loose mount or something along those lines. It's actually part
of how the brain works (according to Specialized) and it's supposed to do that. We ended up
gluing a little piece of inner tube on the part of the frame that makes contact (inside the rear
triangle). This has deadened the sound significantly and it's much better now. It's much softer
than the sound of chain-slap and I'm already having to listen for it if I'm trying to isolate
that sound. Once spring sets in up here I'll be (hopefully) getting out a lot more. That will
give me a chance to give a follow-up longer term evaluation. Overall I'm very happy with it and
have no major complaints.

Matt

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I just got the M5 S-Works FSR frameset and built it up. My S-Works M4 was pretty nicely
> equipped with XT and XTR stuff, 517's, SRAM 9.0
cassette,
> and a Manitou Black Elite Air (80 mm) so I put all of those pieces on the new frame (with a couple
> of new ones, like the Strongarm II crankset & XT splined BB). The end result was a 26 pound bike.
> Not bad for a FS. It's
hard
> for me to give up a few pounds coming from my weight-weenie background,
but
> this seems like a reasonable trade. After six rides I think I can make a reasonable assessment of
> it. Initially the bike seemed much more laid back, angle-wise, than my old XC hardtail. It felt
> pretty good to be back a little more on the bike. Not as twitchy as being up over the head tube
> like I was before. Climbing still feels very solid and I can't tell if I've lost any technical
responsiveness
> (so if I have it's insignificant). No problems keeping the front wheel
down
> on steep stuff and the traction is also very good. I like the lower top
tube
> position too. I would always bang my knee on my old top tube on technical ascents. I haven't hit
> the new bike's top tube once. On the first real ride, I was definitely noticing the suspension.
> Landing a jump on the back wheel felt so nice. The bike just sticks on a landing. The Brain shock
> seems to work just like they said it would. When
I
> stand up and crank on it, it feels just like a hardtail. No lateral slop
or
> bobbing. Very solid. Then, when I'd hit some chop or a bump it would immediately be sucking them
> up and significantly taking the edge off. I couldn't notice any lag between hardtail mode and FS
> mode. Rolling up on
an
> obstacle I could bunny hop it with a hardtail takeoff and then get a FS landing. It felt a little
> strange at first but I'm already pretty used to
> it. It still feels light and responsive, which was something I was afraid
I
> might loose going to a heavier bike with rear suspension. My only complaint is the slight rattling
> sound that the brain makes
from
> contact with the frame. When the bike was being built, the guy at the shop noticed this as well
> and thought it was a loose mount or something along those lines. It's actually part of how the
> brain works (according to Specialized) and it's supposed to do that. We ended up gluing a little
piece
> of inner tube on the part of the frame that makes contact (inside the rear triangle). This has
> deadened the sound significantly and it's much better now. It's much softer than the sound of
> chain-slap and I'm already having
to
> listen for it if I'm trying to isolate that sound. Once spring sets in up here I'll be (hopefully)
> getting out a lot
more.
> That will give me a chance to give a follow-up longer term evaluation. Overall I'm very happy with
> it and have no major complaints.
>
> Matt

Nice, thanks for the honest review...keep us updated for the long term...

- CA-G

Canadian Girls Kick Ass!

"Carla A-G" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>
>
> Nice, thanks for the honest review...keep us updated for the long term...
>
> - CA-G
>
> Canadian Girls Kick Ass!
>
>

Sure. This was the AM-B review. On MTBR I'll post the following:

The Epic is the bestest bike everrrrr!!!!!!!!! I know it's better than all other full suspension
bikes because it is #1!!!!!! Yeah, baby!!! iT'S PERFECT FOR ALL TERRAIN AND i KNOW THIS EVUN BEFORE
i HAVE RIDDEN ALL TERRAIN.

mAtT

Cool review. How was it on fast terrain that only had "little" bumps? Did the Brain absorb them?

--
- Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I just got the M5 S-Works FSR frameset and built it up. My S-Works M4 was pretty nicely
> equipped with XT and XTR stuff, 517's, SRAM 9.0
cassette,
> and a Manitou Black Elite Air (80 mm) so I put all of those pieces on the new frame (with a couple
> of new ones, like the Strongarm II crankset & XT splined BB). The end result was a 26 pound bike.
> Not bad for a FS. It's
hard
> for me to give up a few pounds coming from my weight-weenie background,
but
> this seems like a reasonable trade. After six rides I think I can make a reasonable assessment of
> it. Initially the bike seemed much more laid back, angle-wise, than my old XC hardtail. It felt
> pretty good to be back a little more on the bike. Not as twitchy as being up over the head tube
> like I was before. Climbing still feels very solid and I can't tell if I've lost any technical
responsiveness
> (so if I have it's insignificant). No problems keeping the front wheel
down
> on steep stuff and the traction is also very good. I like the lower top
tube
> position too. I would always bang my knee on my old top tube on technical ascents. I haven't hit
> the new bike's top tube once. On the first real ride, I was definitely noticing the suspension.
> Landing a jump on the back wheel felt so nice. The bike just sticks on a landing. The Brain shock
> seems to work just like they said it would. When
I
> stand up and crank on it, it feels just like a hardtail. No lateral slop
or
> bobbing. Very solid. Then, when I'd hit some chop or a bump it would immediately be sucking them
> up and significantly taking the edge off. I couldn't notice any lag between hardtail mode and FS
> mode. Rolling up on
an
> obstacle I could bunny hop it with a hardtail takeoff and then get a FS landing. It felt a little
> strange at first but I'm already pretty used to
> it. It still feels light and responsive, which was something I was afraid
I
> might loose going to a heavier bike with rear suspension. My only complaint is the slight rattling
> sound that the brain makes
from
> contact with the frame. When the bike was being built, the guy at the shop noticed this as well
> and thought it was a loose mount or something along those lines. It's actually part of how the
> brain works (according to Specialized) and it's supposed to do that. We ended up gluing a little
piece
> of inner tube on the part of the frame that makes contact (inside the rear triangle). This has
> deadened the sound significantly and it's much better now. It's much softer than the sound of
> chain-slap and I'm already having
to
> listen for it if I'm trying to isolate that sound. Once spring sets in up here I'll be (hopefully)
> getting out a lot
more.
> That will give me a chance to give a follow-up longer term evaluation. Overall I'm very happy with
> it and have no major complaints.
>
> Matt

"MattB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]... <snip>
> Sure. This was the AM-B review. On MTBR I'll post the following:
>
> The Epic is the bestest bike everrrrr!!!!!!!!! I know it's better than all other full suspension
> bikes because it is #1!!!!!! Yeah, baby!!! iT'S PERFECT FOR ALL TERRAIN AND i KNOW THIS EVUN
> BEFORE i HAVE RIDDEN ALL TERRAIN.
>
> mAtT
>
>

Call me shallow, but I quite like this one.

Westie

"Zilla" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Cool review. How was it on fast terrain that only had "little" bumps? Did the Brain absorb them?
>
> --
> - Zilla (Remove XSPAM)

Thanks. If the small bumps are jarring enough it activates the shock. I was riding this ridge-top
near my house on Sunday that gets a lot of exposure. The sun and cross wind had shaped the snow into
something similar to that texture they put on roads to warn you you're too close to the edge. It was
also very hard (I had been riding this crust like it was slickrock where the shapes were smoother).
Cruising along on it at a good clip I could tell the texture was there, but the shock just ate it
up. It felt very smooth. It was good and it made me happy. Now, weather or not that qualifies as a
"little" bump to you, I do not know. The overall feel of the bike is the shock is active when it
needs to be. Just like the advertising hype, it "knows".

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.