BR - SS's virtually trouble free? !

Discussion in 'Mountain Bikes' started by Shaun Rimmer, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    (BASTARD! Report.)

    Well, that's the idea, isn't it, for them to be virtually trouble free?

    Left work at 5 yesterday, dark, cold, and windy. Got 20 metres down the road and realised I had a
    flat rear (....).

    Moved along further down the road, and stopped outside of a shop for the light to fix it by. I got
    it done, but it seemed to take ages and I was frozen.

    Got home, took the wheel right off (through axle) to replace the tube - I wanted a solid repair.
    Sorted, put it all back together - no probs.

    Got ready to leave for work this morning, and the front was flat - bastard! Upended the bike, took
    the wheel off, removed the tube, replaced it, struggled to get the stiff tyre back on, went to pump
    it up.....nothing! In my hurry and struggle, I'd pinched the bastard tube. Feck. Pulled it back out,
    made a patch out of old tube (ran out, and couldn't find my 'spare extra emergency stash', having
    recently moved and still in chaos) didn't I. Patched up, tyre on, inflated - no probs.

    Out the door, pedalled twice, chain comes off - won't stay on. Feck again. Seems the rear axle isn't
    quite straight, and the old mech I am using as a tensioner needed tweaking. Did that with some
    struggle, as it was nearly at the limits of it's adjustment. Anyhow, I managed, and made it 2/3 of
    the way to work without incident.

    (Next prob no related directly to the bike).

    I stopped at the ATM, got some cash, picked up a few things from the shop, and was about to get back
    on the bike, when I smelt the smoke of melting plastic.....?.....Shit! Off comes the back pack,
    thrown onto the deck, ripped out the melting wiring coming out of it, ripped out the 12 volt 6.6 Ah
    lead acid pack, removed the rest of the molten blobs of wiring, swore like a foul mouth bastard, and
    sighed <cough!>.

    The wiring from batts to lamp had shorted, right up near the lamp end, and somehow, the overload
    protection hadn't worked. Good job I smelt it - a few minutes and it would have turned _nasty_.

    So, pretty uneventful all round - only 3 punctures, a mechanical, and an electrical fire to report.

    (Thank fuck I got this shit outa the way before tomorrow (13'th)).

    I put longer limit screws in the mech now, so it's fully and more easily adjustable. Managed to
    rebuild the batt pack and wiring, this time there is a lot more protection - each of the 2 batteries
    has a 3 amp constant 5 amp 'blow' automatically resetting special current breaker directly attached
    to the positive terminal, then the main lead from there has a 10 amp in-line standard automotive
    blade fuse, and the wiring/connectors are tougher.

    I will get new tubes and more patches at the w/e.

    Just thought I'd try to brighten all your days up with my minor misfortunes ',;~}

    Shaun aRe - HTH.

    Tags:

  2. Gabrielle

    Gabrielle Guest

    On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 06:52:32 -0800, Shaun Rimmer wrote:

    > (BASTARD! Report.)

    > made a patch out of old tube (ran out, and couldn't find my 'spare extra emergency stash', having
    > recently moved and still in chaos) didn't I.

    There's some rule of thumb for calculating how many flats you will have on any given ride, something
    like "n + 1, where n is the number of flats you have the ability/materials/tools to fix".

    > The wiring from batts to lamp had shorted, right up near the lamp end, and somehow, the overload
    > protection hadn't worked. Good job I smelt it
    > - a few minutes and it would have turned _nasty_.

    Crikey! Or does this rate a "blimey!" ;)

    gabrielle

  3. Andy Chequer

    Andy Chequer Guest

    <snip random havoc>

    Mate you really shouldn't be getting electrical fires on bicycles. You in trouble with the
    Karma Police?

    Andy Chequer, exploder of Transit engines.

  4. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > (BASTARD! Report.)
    >
    > Well, that's the idea, isn't it, for them to be virtually trouble free?

    Don't buy into the hype of singlespeeds and tubed tires.

    > I will get new tubes and more patches at the w/e.

    If you want reliable tires, go UST.

  5. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    > Just thought I'd try to brighten all your days up with my minor
    misfortunes
    > ',;~}
    >
    > Shaun aRe - HTH.

    Yeah, thanks. I feel like my day is going pretty good now ;)

    As for you, the gods are clearly trying to tell you something. I would wrap myself in bubble wrap,
    take a taxi home and hide under my bed. Its not your day!

  6. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    > (BASTARD! Report.)
    >
    > Well, that's the idea, isn't it, for them to be virtually trouble free?
    >
    > Left work at 5 yesterday, dark, cold, and windy. Got 20 metres down the
    road
    > and realised I had a flat rear (....).

    Seat to hard?

    > Moved along further down the road, and stopped outside of a shop for the light to fix it by. I got
    > it done, but it seemed to take ages and I was frozen.

    Try to fix your rear outside in the winter and that can happen.

    > Got home, took the wheel right off (through axle) to replace the tube - I wanted a solid repair.
    > Sorted, put it all back together - no probs.
    >
    > Got ready to leave for work this morning, and the front was flat -
    bastard!
    > Upended the bike, took the wheel off, removed the tube, replaced it, struggled to get the stiff
    > tyre back on, went to pump it up.....nothing!
    In
    > my hurry and struggle, I'd pinched the bastard tube. Feck. Pulled it back out, made a patch out of
    > old tube (ran out, and couldn't find my 'spare extra emergency stash', having recently moved and
    > still in chaos) didn't
    I.
    > Patched up, tyre on, inflated - no probs.

    Is your homebrew ice tyres causing the flats?

    <snip rest of SS trials and tribulations>

    > Just thought I'd try to brighten all your days up with my minor
    misfortunes
    > ',;~}
    >
    > Shaun aRe - HTH.

    Better luck tomorrow.

    Mike

  7. ----------
    In article <[email protected]>, bomba <[email protected]> wrote:

    > John Harlow wrote:
    >
    >> But then again I seem to have uncommon experiences. My Marzocchi has been the worst crap I've
    >> owned, while my RS SID has been perfect. Go figger.
    >
    > You misspelt 'nigger'.
    >
    > (I'll just apologise now)

    you related to Trent Lott?

    Paul

  8. Bill Wheeler

    Bill Wheeler Guest

    On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 14:52:32 -0000, "Shaun Rimmer" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >(BASTARD! Report.)
    >
    >Well, that's the idea, isn't it, for them to be virtually trouble free?
    >
    >Left work at 5 yesterday, dark, cold, and windy. Got 20 metres down the road and realised I had a
    >flat rear (....).
    >
    >Moved along further down the road, and stopped outside of a shop for the light to fix it by. I got
    >it done, but it seemed to take ages and I was frozen.
    >
    >Got home, took the wheel right off (through axle) to replace the tube - I wanted a solid repair.
    >Sorted, put it all back together - no probs.
    >
    >Got ready to leave for work this morning, and the front was flat - bastard! Upended the bike, took
    >the wheel off, removed the tube, replaced it, struggled to get the stiff tyre back on, went to pump
    >it up.....nothing! In my hurry and struggle, I'd pinched the bastard tube. Feck. Pulled it back
    >out, made a patch out of old tube (ran out, and couldn't find my 'spare extra emergency stash',
    >having recently moved and still in chaos) didn't I. Patched up, tyre on, inflated - no probs.
    >
    >Out the door, pedalled twice, chain comes off - won't stay on. Feck again. Seems the rear axle
    >isn't quite straight, and the old mech I am using as a tensioner needed tweaking. Did that with
    >some struggle, as it was nearly at the limits of it's adjustment. Anyhow, I managed, and made it
    >2/3 of the way to work without incident.
    >
    >(Next prob no related directly to the bike).
    >
    >I stopped at the ATM, got some cash, picked up a few things from the shop, and was about to get
    >back on the bike, when I smelt the smoke of melting plastic.....?.....Shit! Off comes the back
    >pack, thrown onto the deck, ripped out the melting wiring coming out of it, ripped out the 12 volt
    >6.6 Ah lead acid pack, removed the rest of the molten blobs of wiring, swore like a foul mouth
    >bastard, and sighed <cough!>.
    >
    >The wiring from batts to lamp had shorted, right up near the lamp end, and somehow, the overload
    >protection hadn't worked. Good job I smelt it - a few minutes and it would have turned _nasty_.
    >
    >So, pretty uneventful all round - only 3 punctures, a mechanical, and an electrical fire to report.
    >
    >(Thank fuck I got this shit outa the way before tomorrow (13'th)).
    >
    >I put longer limit screws in the mech now, so it's fully and more easily adjustable. Managed to
    >rebuild the batt pack and wiring, this time there is a lot more protection - each of the 2
    >batteries has a 3 amp constant 5 amp 'blow' automatically resetting special current breaker
    >directly attached to the positive terminal, then the main lead from there has a 10 amp in-line
    >standard automotive blade fuse, and the wiring/connectors are tougher.
    >
    >I will get new tubes and more patches at the w/e.
    >
    >Just thought I'd try to brighten all your days up with my minor misfortunes ',;~}
    >
    >Shaun aRe - HTH.

    Too good to snip. You're due for some good Karma.

    :-]

  9. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    gabrielle <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 06:52:32 -0800, Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    >
    > > (BASTARD! Report.)
    >
    > > made a patch out of old tube (ran out, and couldn't find my 'spare extra emergency stash',
    > > having recently moved and still in chaos) didn't I.
    >
    > There's some rule of thumb for calculating how many flats you will have on any given ride,
    > something like "n + 1, where n is the number of flats you have the ability/materials/tools
    > to fix".

    I know what you mean, but I'm normally fine for [no] flats - the tubes were a bit old and tired
    methinks, and when they were infated up to 50+ psi, they just gave way. Nothing actually pierced
    them, apart from me with the tyre lever of course......

    > > The wiring from batts to lamp had shorted, right up near the lamp end, and somehow, the overload
    > > protection hadn't worked. Good job I smelt it
    > > - a few minutes and it would have turned _nasty_.
    >
    > Crikey! Or does this rate a "blimey!" ;)

    At the time it rated "Shit! Fuckshit hell arrrggghhh!" as well as a few chice blasphemous phrases
    that I shall not repeat here......

    ',;~}

    Shaun aRe

  10. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    Andy Chequer <[email protected](removethisbittosend)secretworldgovernment.org> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > <snip random havoc>
    >
    > Mate you really shouldn't be getting electrical fires on bicycles.

    I wasn't technicall back on it though - I was just about to......

    > You in trouble with the Karma Police?

    Not really, but it might be their attempt to ballance things out, since I have been uncommonly
    _extremely_ happy this past couple of weeks.

    There's always some chick at the root of any trouble.......

    > Andy Chequer, exploder of Transit engines.

    You didn't wanna do that.

    Shaun aRe

  11. Shaun Rimmer

    Shaun Rimmer Guest

    John Harlow <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > (BASTARD! Report.)
    > >
    > > Well, that's the idea, isn't it, for them to be virtually trouble free?
    >
    > Don't buy into the hype of singlespeeds and tubed tires.

    I don't buy hype _period_. What I do 'buy', is experience and common, logical 'sense'.

    > > I will get new tubes and more patches at the w/e.
    >
    > If you want reliable tires, go UST.

    Useless Shitty Tyres - no thanks.

    Shaun aRe

  12. Bomba

    Bomba Guest

    Cinder Girl wrote:

    > Yeah, thanks. I feel like my day is going pretty good now ;)
    >
    > As for you, the gods are clearly trying to tell you something. I would wrap myself in bubble wrap,
    > take a taxi home and hide under my bed. Its not your day!

    Too true. I'd wrap my head in foil.

  13. Penny S

    Penny S Guest

    > gabrielle <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    > > On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 06:52:32 -0800, Shaun Rimmer wrote:
    > >
    > > > (BASTARD! Report.)
    > >
    > > > made a patch out of old tube (ran out, and couldn't find my 'spare
    extra
    > > > emergency stash', having recently moved and still in chaos) didn't I.
    > >
    > > There's some rule of thumb for calculating how many flats you will have
    on
    > > any given ride, something like "n + 1, where n is the number of flats
    you
    > > have the ability/materials/tools to fix".
    >
    > I know what you mean, but I'm normally fine for [no] flats - the tubes
    were
    > a bit old and tired methinks, and when they were infated up to 50+ psi,
    they
    > just gave way. Nothing actually pierced them, apart from me with the tyre lever of course......
    >
    > > > The wiring from batts to lamp had shorted, right up near the lamp end, and somehow, the
    > > > overload protection hadn't worked. Good job I smelt
    it
    > > > - a few minutes and it would have turned _nasty_.
    > >
    > > Crikey! Or does this rate a "blimey!" ;)
    >
    > At the time it rated "Shit! Fuckshit hell arrrggghhh!" as well as a few chice blasphemous phrases
    > that I shall not repeat here......
    >
    > ',;~}
    >
    > Shaun aRe

    yeah, you might offend someone.

    penny

  14. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > > If you want reliable tires, go UST.
    >
    > Useless Shitty Tyres - no thanks.

    Ever try 'em?

  15. Cinder Girl

    Cinder Girl Guest

    > Cinder Girl wrote:
    >

    > > Yeah, thanks. I feel like my day is going pretty good now ;)
    > >
    > > As for you, the gods are clearly trying to tell you something. I would
    wrap
    > > myself in bubble wrap, take a taxi home and hide under my bed. Its not
    your
    > > day!
    >
    > Too true. I'd wrap my head in foil.

    No, not safe, might attract lightning.

  16. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > If you want reliable tires, go UST.
    > >
    > > Useless Shitty Tyres - no thanks.
    >
    > Ever try 'em?

    I've had dealings with them. No thanks I'll pass.

    Mike

  17. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

  18. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > > > Ever try 'em?
    > > >

    > > I've had dealings with them. No thanks I'll pass.
    > >
    > Interesting. What happened?

    It was right when they first came out. Both of my riding buddies got a 'team' deal on matching
    Specialized S-works M4 bikes with crossmax UST wheels. Neither one could keep pressure in them with
    the stock Specialized tires. I helped one replace his with some Kendas he bought at the Snowshoe
    Norba race and they were a bitch to get on the rim. "They" said "Oh if you get a flat on the trail
    all you have to do is pop a tube in and go." I couldn't imagine having to get one of these on or off
    the rim on the trail. It took the Park shop tire lever to do the job. The other had the valve stem
    come out while removing the pump. He didn't have a spare UST stem so we managed to fix it by taking
    one out of a old flat tube. The other thing was the Crossmax's were crap. They wouldn't stay true
    for any length of time. I saw another rider wandering the pits at Snowshoe Norba looking to get one
    fixed after he tore a spoke out of the rim. He was SOL.

    One of my friends gave up on the whole thing and put his King wheelset on his bike. The other bought
    some IRC Serac tubeless which are working out well for him. I also have the IRC Serac (redwalls)
    tubed tires and run just as low pressure in them (another supposed advantage of tubeless) and have
    no pinch flat problems and excellent traction. After all that and having the Seracs I don't see the
    need to go UST myself.

    Mike

  19. John Harlow

    John Harlow Guest

    > > > I've had dealings with them. No thanks I'll pass.
    > > >
    > > Interesting. What happened?
    > >

    > It was right when they first came out.

    Yup, that's pretty common. Often times it takes a few revs to get the bugs worked out...

    Glad to hear it's working out for your friend though.

    All I can say in actually using them for a long while is they have increased my tire reliability
    substantially. As with everything of course, YMMV.

    But then again I seem to have uncommon experiences. My Marzocchi has been the worst crap I've owned,
    while my RS SID has been perfect. Go figger.

  20. Michael Dart

    Michael Dart Guest

    "John Harlow" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...

    > All I can say in actually using them for a long while is they have
    increased
    > my tire reliability substantially. As with everything of course, YMMV.

    Like I said since I found the IRC Seracs I can run low pressure, 28-34psi, and get great traction
    with only a very rare pinchflat. The new UST rims that you can use regular spokes look promising
    though. Esp. the DH ones. $15 tubes can be a motivation for going tubeless.

    > But then again I seem to have uncommon experiences. My Marzocchi has been the worst crap I've
    > owned, while my RS SID has been perfect. Go figger.

    Hehehe..My experience with these has been exactly the opposite. Which Marz?

    Mike