BR tomorrow ...anyone ... anyone ... Bueller?

DaveB

Guest
Round The Bay is over, magpies are going back into hibernation, good day
forecast, anyone coming out for a ride in the hills. Daylight savings
starts tonight but I refuse to acknowledge that till Monday so I'll be
at the starting point 7:30 winter time/8:30 summer time.

DaveB

Forecast for Sunday: Fine. Some morning cloud clearing to a mostly sunny afternoon with light to moderate southerly winds.

We may be heading somewhere, not sure, for a spin. The Bloke maybe going for a longer spin, as he's ceased tapering since the last 200km Alpine. Also not sure where he's heading either, possibly Kingslake?

BTW - the hail this morning was bit of a *novelty*. ;)

cfsmtb said:
Forecast for Sunday: Fine. Some morning cloud clearing to a mostly sunny afternoon with light to moderate southerly winds.

We may be heading somewhere, not sure, for a spin. The Bloke maybe going for a longer spin, as he's ceased tapering since the last 200km Alpine. Also not sure where he's heading either, possibly Kingslake?

BTW - the hail this morning was bit of a *novelty*. ;)
Not where I was it wasn't!

cfsmtb said:
BTW - the hail this morning was bit of a *novelty*. ;)

I'll give ya bloody *novelty*.....Mt Macedon, 8am this morning riding over the top & it starts snowing, -1 deg...oh well, methinks...could be worse...& tho it did get worse....next minute its hailing bloody golf balls!....Now I reckon me Met strad is awesome because of the huge vents for airflow....I didn't reckon on getting concussion from being attacked by golf balls!...bloody *novelty*...I reckon another few hours & a few more stiff scotches (strictly medicinal you understand!) I might be able to feel me nose again!

Hitchy said:
I'll give ya bloody *novelty*.....Mt Macedon, 8am this morning riding over the top & it starts snowing, -1 deg...oh well, methinks...could be worse...& tho it did get worse....next minute its hailing bloody golf balls!....Now I reckon me Met strad is awesome because of the huge vents for airflow....I didn't reckon on getting concussion from being attacked by golf balls!...bloody *novelty*...I reckon another few hours & a few more stiff scotches (strictly medicinal you understand!) I might be able to feel me nose again!

You needed to wait until today. Cold, but not hailing. Mt Donna Buang was lovely for my first ride up there this morning.

Ritch

On 2006-10-29, ritcho (aka Bruce)

> Hitchy Wrote:
>> I'll give ya bloody *novelty*.....Mt Macedon, 8am this morning riding
>> over the top & it starts snowing, -1 deg...oh well, methinks...could be
>> worse...& tho it did get worse....next minute its hailing bloody golf
>> balls!....Now I reckon me Met strad is awesome because of the huge
>> vents for airflow....I didn't reckon on getting concussion from being
>> attacked by golf balls!...bloody *novelty*...I reckon another few hours
>> & a few more stiff scotches (strictly medicinal you understand!) I might
>> be able to feel me nose again!

> You needed to wait until today. Cold, but not hailing. Mt Donna Buang
> was lovely for my first ride up there this morning.

I ended up doing a 150.06km ride (ok, I admit it, I did a few laps
around town when I realised I'd get home with 146km on the clock).

I went up to Baradine to have morning tea, then when I got back to
Bugaldie, I decided to go for a lap around the warrumbungles -- I knew
there was a road, and a sign said 57km to the national park (ie, I
would arrive at the park after having done 125km, with only another
40km to home past the observatory. But I took a "short cut"[1]. This
"short cut" saw me do about 31km of very poor condition dirt road. 1
puncture later, and a motorist who pulled up whilst I was fixing it
said "geez, you're a long way from Timor road. You probably just want
to go back into town and then come out the other way instead. Oh
well, the dirt road finishes in 10-12km, then you've got another 20 to
go". After 13km, I finally found the turnoff and bitumin. 44km of
very very slow lumpy and/or very soft dirt, on a road bike. Poor
bike. That works out to about 80km, of sealed road, doesn't it --
well when you calculate that you've got to go up and down every
corrugation :) I bonked somewhere along there, and was averaging about
15km back into town on the bitumin. Ha, mum said the last part would
be easy -- all downhill. Except the several km long gradual climb
that I was doing at 12km/h.

So only took off 15 or so km from my intended route, added about 30km
of dirt on my intended route, and didn't get to go around the
warrumbungles, as my "short cut" veered to the north of the mountain
range, bringing me back where I turned off originally. Maybe next
time, eh?

I ended up being out on the bike pretty much all day -- 6 hours in the
end, plus a bit extra sunshine when eating and fixing all of 3
punctures (two of which because previous patches had failed -- it's
very hard to make a clean patch when there's red dirt getting every).

[1] Well, not really -- only had a memory of a very vague map to go
on, and had no idea whether my turnoff would be signposted, or where I
was otherwise meant to turn off. But I did look at the direction the
road seemed to be going in, and noted that the bungles *seemed* to be
petering out.

--
TimC
"If American bicycle advocacy leaders had championed the civil rights

On 2006-10-29, TimC (aka Bruce)
> I ended up doing a 150.06km ride (ok, I admit it, I did a few laps
> around town when I realised I'd get home with 146km on the clock).

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Coonabarabran-baradine-bugaldie-warrumbungles-tootle

136km, because I deliberately didn't put in my doublings-back (mostly
on dirt road, dammit). I'm surprised that I managed to find on the
map what I'm pretty sure is the exact route I took. It's amazing just
how little I was off getting the right route just by looking at where
the sun was. If only the road continued on through that scrub... just
a little further :)

I should duplicate that, and modify it with the route I *intended* to
take (removing the baradine visit, because baradine's not all that
great :)

I might visit the intended route in the car (hmm, maybe not the
observatory car, unless I can work in some mneumonic, eg
S(ite)-H(ome)-S(afari), in the logbook, and clean the car afterwards),
because I remember quite a fair bit of dirt on even the road I was
meant to take -- if there's dirt also getting to that road, then it
might just be a bit too much dirt for my liking.

Now, I now need to go ravage a kangaroo. Tootly pips!

--
TimC
That's why I love VoIP. You don't get people phoning up to complain that the

"TimC" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On 2006-10-29, TimC (aka Bruce)
>> I ended up doing a 150.06km ride (ok, I admit it, I did a few laps
>> around town when I realised I'd get home with 146km on the clock).

> http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Coonabarabran-baradine-bugaldie-warrumbungles-tootle
>
> 136km, because I deliberately didn't put in my doublings-back (mostly
> on dirt road, dammit). I'm surprised that I managed to find on the
> map what I'm pretty sure is the exact route I took. It's amazing just
> how little I was off getting the right route just by looking at where
> the sun was. If only the road continued on through that scrub... just
> a little further :)
>
> I should duplicate that, and modify it with the route I *intended* to
> take (removing the baradine visit, because baradine's not all that
> great :)
>
> I might visit the intended route in the car (hmm, maybe not the
> observatory car, unless I can work in some mneumonic, eg
> S(ite)-H(ome)-S(afari), in the logbook, and clean the car afterwards),
> because I remember quite a fair bit of dirt on even the road I was
> meant to take -- if there's dirt also getting to that road, then it
> might just be a bit too much dirt for my liking.
>

> Now, I now need to go ravage a kangaroo. Tootly pips!

You so need to get a girlfriend...