BR17 (no it's not a typo)

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by DaveB, Oct 3, 2004.

  1. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    I know it's a week early but was wondering if anyone is planning on
    doing BR17 seeing it's on the day of ATB. I'm still undecided. I've
    entered the 100km from Sorrento but I'm having second thoughts about
    what sort of treatment my bike is gonna get in the bus from Docklands to
    the start. If nobody is doing BR17 then I'll get some bubble wrap and
    protect the bike as best I can, and maybe carry the wheels on my lap in
    the bus (doesn't sound too comfortable).

    DaveB

    Tags:

  2. sinus

    sinus New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 25, 2004
    Might be safer to ride down to Sorrento

  3. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "sinus" <[email protected]

    > DaveB Wrote:
    > > I know it's a week early but was wondering if anyone is planning on
    > > doing BR17 seeing it's on the day of ATB. I'm still undecided. I've
    > > entered the 100km from Sorrento but I'm having second thoughts about
    > > what sort of treatment my bike is gonna get in the bus from Docklands
    > > the start. If nobody is doing BR17 then I'll get some bubble wrap and
    > > protect the bike as best I can, and maybe carry the wheels on my lap in
    > > the bus (doesn't sound too comfortable).
    > >
    > > DaveB

    > Might be safer to ride down to Sorrento

    How come you aren't doing the full ride? You can
    finish BR's.. ATB should be a piece o' piss for ya.
    Only mtb'ers are allowed to drive to a ride spot.. ;-)

    hippy
    - only doing ATB if someone begs for my entry

  4. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    hippy wrote:

    > How come you aren't doing the full ride? You can
    > finish BR's.. ATB should be a piece o' piss for ya.
    > Only mtb'ers are allowed to drive to a ride spot.. ;-)
    >
    > hippy
    > - only doing ATB if someone begs for my entry

    I'm doing a half marathon this week and not expecting to be in great
    shape by the following weekend. Definitely not going to be capable of
    full ATB (that's for next year).

    DaveB

  5. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > hippy wrote:
    > >
    > > How come you aren't doing the full ride? You can
    > > finish BR's.. ATB should be a piece o' piss for ya.
    > > Only mtb'ers are allowed to drive to a ride spot.. ;-)

    > I'm doing a half marathon this week and not expecting to be in great
    > shape by the following weekend. Definitely not going to be capable of
    > full ATB (that's for next year).

    Ahh.. that evil r-word.. I don't think I could walk
    a week after doing a half let alone ride. I'll shutup
    now ;-)

    hippy

  6. blah

    blah Guest

    DaveB <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > I know it's a week early but was wondering if anyone is planning on
    > doing BR17 seeing it's on the day of ATB. I'm still undecided. I've
    > entered the 100km from Sorrento but I'm having second thoughts about
    > what sort of treatment my bike is gonna get in the bus from Docklands to
    > the start. If nobody is doing BR17 then I'll get some bubble wrap and
    > protect the bike as best I can, and maybe carry the wheels on my lap in
    > the bus (doesn't sound too comfortable).
    >
    > DaveB

    I'm not doing the ATB, so if there's a BR on I'll probably come out.

  7. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    maybe we could do a BR-extended version?

    OR

    <dare>
    2 laps of BR :eek: :eek: :eek:
    </dare>

    that's gotta be worth a ATB anyday. Maybe stop and have lunch/meal/fuel
    (heck, we could stop at my place. That would show the wif that y'all do exist and I aint havin an affair :D )

    Anyone up for that?

    F-feelin-frisky-D

  8. B.T.

    B.T. New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2004
    Just a quick warning, I drove down Etham-Yarra Glen Rd the other day and there's roadworks being done, so I'd avoid the Alma Rd loop atm.

  9. Blah

    Blah Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> maybe we could do a BR-extended
    version?

    > OR
    >
    > <dare>
    > 2 laps of BR :eek: :eek: :eek:
    > </dare>
    >
    > that's gotta be worth a ATB anyday. Maybe stop and have
    > lunch/meal/fuel
    > (heck, we could stop at my place. That would show the wif that y'all do
    > exist and I aint havin an affair :D )
    >
    > Anyone up for that?
    >
    > F-feelin-frisky-D

    > flyingdutch

    Remind me when we're in pain on the second lap just how flippant I'm
    being... Why the hell not? Of course, you know this means that the rainless
    run will end in two weeks' time... I predict sleet.

  10. hippy

    hippy Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]
    > maybe we could do a BR-extended version?
    >
    > OR
    >
    > <dare>
    > 2 laps of BR :eek: :eek: :eek:
    > </dare>

    I like the sound of that! Evil, evil man..
    except I'm probably going to be at Glenvale crits.

    > that's gotta be worth a ATB anyday. Maybe stop and have
    > lunch/meal/fuel (heck, we could stop at my place. That would
    > show the wif that y'all do exist and I aint havin an affair :D )

    I thought the affair was with your bike?

    > Anyone up for that?

    Oh the pain...

    hippy

  11. tonykara

    tonykara New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2004
    ive decided that spending $75 on a mild case of hypothermia is just not worth it. extended BR sounds good to me.

    what if we head up Eltham-Yarra Glen Rd and keep going till we get bored find somewhere nice to get a bite and then turn around? its got to be better than a soggy sandwich and a smelly tug boat ride.

  12. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    but its still unmade according to (above) report and i emailed my mate who lives out there and he confirmed they have only done about 20% of what we rode that last time...

    So what happens if we continue to Panton Hill and go on from there?

  13. tonykara

    tonykara New Member

    Joined:
    Jun 9, 2004
    eltham yarra glen road is the road to panton hill, st andrews is the next suburb. i would be in on that

    did you see the forecast for sunday....fine and sunny 24...unbelievable

  14. kyra

    kyra New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2003
    so am I the only nuffey doing the full ATB next weekend?!

    also, i can't make it to this sunday's ride as i'll be waking up with a massive hangover in geelong!

  15. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    How organised are you???

    First you kno your gonna have a hangover (OK, that bit's easy enuff to understand...)
    Then, you know beforehand which suburb you are gonna wakeup in.

    Oh, the days of discovering distant suburbs and unwelcoming dad's on a Sunday mornin... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

  16. Geoff

    Geoff Guest

    "DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >I know it's a week early but was wondering if anyone is planning on doing
    >BR17 seeing it's on the day of ATB. I'm still undecided. I've entered the
    >100km from Sorrento but I'm having second thoughts about what sort of
    >treatment my bike is gonna get in the bus from Docklands to the start. If
    >nobody is doing BR17 then I'll get some bubble wrap and protect the bike as
    >best I can, and maybe carry the wheels on my lap in the bus (doesn't sound
    >too comfortable).
    >
    > DaveB

    Dave
    If they haven't already got it somewhere on their website, you could always
    try calling BV to get the answer to your bike transport question.

    I won't be out that weekend for either BR or ATBIAD. :-(
    Instead I'll be out in the Grampians doing the Mt William climb :) Only
    thing is the company won't be quite the same as compared to doing the BR.

    Geoff

  17. B.T.

    B.T. New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2004
    "Oh, the days of discovering distant suburbs and unwelcoming dad's on a Sunday mornin... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:"

    That just gave me a scary flashback!!!

    Cut the tention with a knife. Nice day isn't it.....TAXI!!!

  18. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch New Member

    Joined:
    Feb 8, 2004
    Messages:
    5,700
    So, 2 loops or another alternative?

    Kinglake and beyond?
    St Andrews and...
    dont know this neck of the woods too well
    so suggest away

  19. kyra

    kyra New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2003

    haha, not quite... wedding was in geelong and we stayed down there... was absolutely blind but woke up without a hangover! GOLD.

    who is actually in for ATB on sunday?

  20. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > B.T. Wrote:
    >
    >>"Oh, the days of discovering distant suburbs and unwelcoming dad's on a
    >>Sunday mornin... :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:"
    >>
    >>That just gave me a scary flashback!!!
    >>
    >>Cut the tention with a knife. Nice day isn't it.....TAXI!!!

    > So, 2 loops or another alternative?
    >
    > Kinglake and beyond?
    > St Andrews and...
    > dont know this neck of the woods too well
    > so suggest away

    I'm in for this weekend. Decided I'd rather do the BR than the half
    round the bay (despite having paid already). But Kinglake and beyond ai
    yai. I might make it to St Andrews and turn back to Hurstrbridge. I'm
    not real keen on the St Andrews to Kinglake rd anyway, too dangerous
    with cars for my liking, although I'm sure there'd be some new speed
    records set for the Kinglake down to Whittlesea hill.

    DaveB