BR23 Ride Report

NickZX6R

Guest
Well...where is it?

I had everything ready to go and the alarm set,
but because I'm an idiot I obviously forgot to turn the alarm ON! :|

Nice weather for it too.

--
Nick

"NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Well...where is it?
>
> I had everything ready to go and the alarm set,
> but because I'm an idiot I obviously forgot to turn the alarm ON! :|

Yeah, right. It was a great day for it; not too warm, not too cold, just
right. Five of us out today. We had a few firsts - Gags broke 90kph down
Harris Gully Road, and also had the first ever puncture in 23 BRs. Dutch
managed to get clipped by a car, which I hope is a first. Some dizzy cow
thought overtaking us as we all approached a roundabout was a good idea and
apparently her mirror(?) clipped Dutch's elbow as she went past. He says
that the funny bone experience isn't all that comedic when it's a car doing
the tapping on it. By the way, Dutch, I hope the elbow hasn't gone bad since
we parted ways; I'm thinking of all those stories I've heard of that start
"It didn't even really hurt when it happened, but a few hours later..."
We pushed the tempo a bit after St. Andrews - lovely bit of road that,
sitting on about 45kph for five to ten kays into a bit of a head wind. That
got the average up overall to 27.9kph over the 94km for me.
Good day to be out. Had a ripper ride.

NickZX6R said:
Well...where is it?

I had everything ready to go and the alarm set,
but because I'm an idiot I obviously forgot to turn the alarm ON! :|

Nice weather for it too.

--
Nick
twas well good!
luverly wetha, Gags, Blah, TonyKara and Dej and moi
went to St Andrews and stopped at the Smiths Gully Store which turns out to be an awesome bakery come deli (mmmmmm bakery goirl).
Blah decided to do his Hincapie impersonation between St A and DCreek again, and the cancer-stick ***** in the HyunDIE decided locking up the brakes in her desparation to get past Gags/Blah and giving me a love-tap with her left mirror going thru the roundabout would cap off the day! (why the !%@# do they call it a funny bone?).
managed to nail the bunch going up that nastee lil hill outa DCreek (hey little things amuse little minds :) ) and the rest as as per the usual. Burgundy St Hill, Kew Boulevard and back home. Beer whilst floating in the pool. life dont get much better than that

"Blah" <[email protected]> wrote
> Yeah, right. It was a great day for it; not too warm, not too cold, just
> right. Five of us out today. We had a few firsts - Gags broke 90kph down
> Harris Gully Road, and also had the first ever puncture in 23 BRs.

Doh! I wanted to do that! (the 90kph bit, not the puncture..)

> Dutch managed to get clipped by a car, which I hope is a first. Some dizzy

cow
> thought overtaking us as we all approached a roundabout was a good idea

and
> apparently her mirror(?) clipped Dutch's elbow as she went past.

Damn dude! What are you doing harassing those poor, defenceless cars!?
Hope the arm is okay.. looking forward to your report ;-)

hippy

Blah wrote:
> "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Well...where is it?
>>
>>I had everything ready to go and the alarm set,
>>but because I'm an idiot I obviously forgot to turn the alarm ON! :|

> Yeah, right. It was a great day for it; not too warm, not too cold, just
> right. Five of us out today. We had a few firsts - Gags broke 90kph down
> Harris Gully Road, and also had the first ever puncture in 23 BRs. Dutch
> managed to get clipped by a car, which I hope is a first. Some dizzy cow
> thought overtaking us as we all approached a roundabout was a good idea and
> apparently her mirror(?) clipped Dutch's elbow as she went past. He says
> that the funny bone experience isn't all that comedic when it's a car doing
> the tapping on it. By the way, Dutch, I hope the elbow hasn't gone bad since
> we parted ways; I'm thinking of all those stories I've heard of that start
> "It didn't even really hurt when it happened, but a few hours later..."
> We pushed the tempo a bit after St. Andrews - lovely bit of road that,
> sitting on about 45kph for five to ten kays into a bit of a head wind. That
> got the average up overall to 27.9kph over the 94km for me.
> Good day to be out. Had a ripper ride.

So the car didn't stop? Sunuvabitch!

Hope he's ok.

That's a pretty decent average for that ride. Nice one.

Last time I managed 87.6km/h top speed.
Next time it will be 90+ for me :)

--
Nick

flyingdutch said:
twas well good!
luverly wetha, Gags, Blah, TonyKara and Dej and moi
went to St Andrews and stopped at the Smiths Gully Store which turns out to be an awesome bakery come deli (mmmmmm bakery goirl).
Blah decided to do his Hincapie impersonation between St A and DCreek again, and the cancer-stick ***** in the HyunDIE decided locking up the brakes in her desparation to get past Gags/Blah and giving me a love-tap with her left mirror going thru the roundabout would cap off the day! (why the !%@# do they call it a funny bone?).
managed to nail the bunch going up that nastee lil hill outa DCreek (hey little things amuse little minds :) ) and the rest as as per the usual. Burgundy St Hill, Kew Boulevard and back home. Beer whilst floating in the pool. life dont get much better than that

I got caught by obligations that lead to a MUCH later night than I had been expecting. Not unpleasant, but I wasn't going to attack this ride on less than four hours sleep. I'm rather jealous, although I've had a good day in a non-cycling related, stuffing my face with experimental food kind of way. I won't be there next week, as I'm well and truly booked, but hopefully the week after.

"Blah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> Well...where is it?
>>
>> I had everything ready to go and the alarm set,
>> but because I'm an idiot I obviously forgot to turn the alarm ON! :|

> Yeah, right. It was a great day for it; not too warm, not too cold, just
> right. Five of us out today. We had a few firsts - Gags broke 90kph down
> Harris Gully Road, and also had the first ever puncture in 23 BRs. Dutch
> managed to get clipped by a car, which I hope is a first. Some dizzy cow
> thought overtaking us as we all approached a roundabout was a good idea
> and apparently her mirror(?) clipped Dutch's elbow as she went past. He
> says that the funny bone experience isn't all that comedic when it's a car
> doing the tapping on it. By the way, Dutch, I hope the elbow hasn't gone
> bad since we parted ways; I'm thinking of all those stories I've heard of
> that start "It didn't even really hurt when it happened, but a few hours
> later..."
> We pushed the tempo a bit after St. Andrews - lovely bit of road that,
> sitting on about 45kph for five to ten kays into a bit of a head wind.
> That got the average up overall to 27.9kph over the 94km for me.
> Good day to be out. Had a ripper ride.

Yeah the weather was great in the north of the city where you guys were but
closer to the city it became cloudy and rather humid to the point of being
uncomfortable when stopped at traffic lights but it was bearable whilst
moving.

Gags, 90+ km/h!!!. The bar has been raised. ;-)

Dutchy, Hope the elbow is alright. :-(

Seemed to be the morning for dangerous/stupid drivers to be out in force.
Although they did not actually hit me the driver of a car travelling south
on a deserted Plenty Road (Dual carriageway) at about 0620 this morning had
a real good go at pushing me off the road whilst his passenger was hanging
out the window screaming something or other I could not quite make out.
Anyway a quick dab by me on my brakes as I was running out of bitumen to
ride on and they where no longer beside me any more and they disappeared
into the distance. Pity I did not have pen and paper on me to write down
the rego to pass on to the local "Boys in Blue" (must remind myself to
program police number into phone). I heard a few more horror stories from
others who experienced similar acts of agression from motorists this
morning. Is it just the warm nights that are turning some motorists feral
or is there some conspiracy against cyclists!!! This is just not normal at
this time of the morning.

Geoff

"Geoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Blah" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >>
> >> Well...where is it?
> >>
> >> I had everything ready to go and the alarm set,
> >> but because I'm an idiot I obviously forgot to turn the alarm ON! :|

> > Yeah, right. It was a great day for it; not too warm, not too cold, just
> > right. Five of us out today. We had a few firsts - Gags broke 90kph down
> > Harris Gully Road, and also had the first ever puncture in 23 BRs. Dutch
> > managed to get clipped by a car, which I hope is a first. Some dizzy cow
> > thought overtaking us as we all approached a roundabout was a good idea
> > and apparently her mirror(?) clipped Dutch's elbow as she went past. He
> > says that the funny bone experience isn't all that comedic when it's a

car
> > doing the tapping on it. By the way, Dutch, I hope the elbow hasn't gone
> > bad since we parted ways; I'm thinking of all those stories I've heard

of
> > that start "It didn't even really hurt when it happened, but a few hours
> > later..."
> > We pushed the tempo a bit after St. Andrews - lovely bit of road that,
> > sitting on about 45kph for five to ten kays into a bit of a head wind.
> > That got the average up overall to 27.9kph over the 94km for me.
> > Good day to be out. Had a ripper ride.
> >

> Yeah the weather was great in the north of the city where you guys were

but
> closer to the city it became cloudy and rather humid to the point of being
> uncomfortable when stopped at traffic lights but it was bearable whilst
> moving.
>
> Gags, 90+ km/h!!!. The bar has been raised. ;-)
>
> Dutchy, Hope the elbow is alright. :-(
>
> Seemed to be the morning for dangerous/stupid drivers to be out in force.
> Although they did not actually hit me the driver of a car travelling south
> on a deserted Plenty Road (Dual carriageway) at about 0620 this morning

had
> a real good go at pushing me off the road whilst his passenger was hanging
> out the window screaming something or other I could not quite make out.
> Anyway a quick dab by me on my brakes as I was running out of bitumen to
> ride on and they where no longer beside me any more and they disappeared
> into the distance. Pity I did not have pen and paper on me to write down
> the rego to pass on to the local "Boys in Blue" (must remind myself to
> program police number into phone). I heard a few more horror stories from
> others who experienced similar acts of agression from motorists this
> morning. Is it just the warm nights that are turning some motorists feral
> or is there some conspiracy against cyclists!!! This is just not normal

at
> this time of the morning.
>
> Geoff

Full Moon Geoff.

Kev

"NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Well...where is it?
>
> I had everything ready to go and the alarm set,
> but because I'm an idiot I obviously forgot to turn the alarm ON! :|
>
> Nice weather for it too.
>
> --
> Nick

was good..
surprised to see only 5 of us there considering the weather etc..
its the 1st ride ive done in a while where my legs have been sore the next
day:)
87.2kph down the hill:)
96.5km total distance

bring on wednesday crit:)

"Geoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> into the distance. Pity I did not have pen and paper on me to write down
> the rego to pass on to the local "Boys in Blue" (must remind myself to
> program police number into phone).

Do you carry a mobile? When I meet a &^%stick, I
just type a message with their rego, car type and details
and either send it or save it without sending. I can then
double check the rego before I swing the 2x4 at their
windscreen, panels, mirrors, lights... ;-)

hippy

"Geoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message

> Gags, 90+ km/h!!!. The bar has been raised. ;-)

During the week I repacked my hubs (using that red grease with the teflon in
the green tube) and before the ride I added 10 psi front and rear for a
crack at a max speed (120 psi). Blah led us out and Dutch got 5 metres or
so on me but I managed to just start gaining on him before I had to stop
pedalling and tuck everything in for the slipstream (hands either side of
stem, knees touching top tube, elbows touching knees). From there, my extra
weight (100kg without bike), newly greased hubs, and slipstream advantage
did the work. I think that I hit 90 km/h just before I had to pull out of
Dutch's slipstream so that I didn't run up the back of him (woulda hurt at
that speed).

So there's the secret........I volunteers to lead out next time and give
someone else a crack at it. Or we could find a bigger hill and a tailwind
and try to crack 100??

Oh yeah, even though all of us were doing over 80 in a 70 zone, a car behind
us had the nerve to honk their horn at us to get off the road......I guess
that they could have been cheering us on????

Ride On,

Gags

"NickZX6R" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Well...where is it?
>
> I had everything ready to go and the alarm set,
> but because I'm an idiot I obviously forgot to turn the alarm ON! :|
>
> Nice weather for it too.
>
> --
> Nick

For those who could give a flying (that means you DaveB)......I timed Blah
and myself up the hill from Warrandyte. From the end of the bridge to the
rock with the numbers on at the top of the hill we took 14 min, 17 sec. We
weren't killing ourselves but I guess that we will next time now that we
have something to aim at.

I really need that carbon Scott with 10spd Ultegra.......why doesn't the
missus understand?

Ride On,

Gags

"Gags" <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote
> "Geoff" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > Gags, 90+ km/h!!!. The bar has been raised. ;-)

> During the week I repacked my hubs (using that red grease with the teflon

in
> the green tube) and before the ride I added 10 psi front and rear for a
> crack at a max speed (120 psi).

I'm fitting tubs for some 200psi+ action ;-)
(hope there's nothing sharp on the road!)

> Blah led us out and Dutch got 5 metres or
> so on me but I managed to just start gaining on him before I had to stop
> pedalling and tuck everything in for the slipstream (hands either side of
> stem, knees touching top tube, elbows touching knees). From there, my

extra
> weight (100kg without bike), newly greased hubs, and slipstream advantage
> did the work. I think that I hit 90 km/h just before I had to pull out of
> Dutch's slipstream so that I didn't run up the back of him (woulda hurt at
> that speed).

Wha? Leadout?! FOUL!!

None of this leadout guff.. one man, one bike, one speed record. ;-)

> So there's the secret........I volunteers to lead out next time and give
> someone else a crack at it. Or we could find a bigger hill and a tailwind
> and try to crack 100??

Are there any 100kph potential hills nearby? When I say potential, I
don't mean with a deathwish, like ending at a 4-lane round-a-bout, I
mean relatively clear, long and steep.. ?

> Oh yeah, even though all of us were doing over 80 in a 70 zone, a car

behind
> us had the nerve to honk their horn at us to get off the road......I guess
> that they could have been cheering us on????

Move right, take lane, take rego.. ;-)

I've had a dude on a motorbike ask how fast I was going down
a hill (fast..) and congratulate me on my effort so it could've been
an impressed driver. They are so infrequently sighted these days..

hippy

"Gags" <gags_44nospamatnospamtpg.com.au> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> For those who could give a flying (that means you DaveB)......I timed Blah
> and myself up the hill from Warrandyte. From the end of the bridge to the
> rock with the numbers on at the top of the hill we took 14 min, 17 sec.

We
> weren't killing ourselves but I guess that we will next time now that we
> have something to aim at.

I've gone the reverse way once and I don't remember it being
anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be given the downhill
speeds. Guess I should try it again.

> I really need that carbon Scott with 10spd Ultegra.......why doesn't the
> missus understand?

You can't funnel funds into a secret account? Stage a raffle
draw and "oh my god dearest, I just won a new bike!!!"..?

hippy

Gags wrote:

> For those who could give a flying (that means you DaveB)......I timed Blah
> and myself up the hill from Warrandyte. From the end of the bridge to the
> rock with the numbers on at the top of the hill we took 14 min, 17 sec. We
> weren't killing ourselves but I guess that we will next time now that we
> have something to aim at.

Oh great that makes my best of around 18mins sound sooooooo hopeless.

DaveB

As dutchy pointed out during the ride, i havent been out with the bunch for a while. trust me jason i didnt need anyone to tell me ive been slacking off, my energy levels did most of talking that night. regardless, it was great to get back out there with the group, will need to put in some extra rides during the week cos it aint that fun being dropped on every hill.

PS: 100 posts :)

tonykara wrote:
it aint that fun
> being dropped on every hill.

tell me about it

DaveB

On Sun, 28 Nov 2004 at 10:59 GMT, Resound (aka Bruce)
> good day in a non-cycling related, stuffing my face with experimental
> food kind of way.

Woohoo.

I'm sure hippy will be glad to hear - we cleaned up all the lollie
supplies in all the towns we came across. Yum.

Lastnight, I was a little kid in that lollie place, where you get to
mix and match from all the bins. I was surpised that I managed to get
about 300g of turkish delight, sour mandarins, sour peaches, etc. More
surprised when it was gone by the time I walked down the hill. I ate
dinner late lastnight. :)

HANDLE WITH EXTREME CARE: This Product Contains Minute Electrically
Charged Particles Moving at Velocities in Excess of Five Hundred
Million Miles Per Hour. --unk

"TimC" <[email protected]
> Woohoo.
>
> I'm sure hippy will be glad to hear - we cleaned up all the lollie
> supplies in all the towns we came across. Yum.

Nice work!

> Lastnight, I was a little kid in that lollie place, where you get to
> mix and match from all the bins. I was surpised that I managed to get
> about 300g of turkish delight, sour mandarins, sour peaches, etc. More
> surprised when it was gone by the time I walked down the hill. I ate
> dinner late lastnight. :)

Mmm.. pick-n-mix.. 50c mixed bags.. those were the days.
I'm not sure about your taste buds though - they seem broken..
sour lollies? yerk! ;-)

hippy