Br23

flyingdutch

New Member
Feb 8, 2004
5,700
The usual.
Sunday 7:20am
"Bunch Ride (x)" - Meet 7:20am every Sunday at Doncaster Shoppingtown corner (Doncaster and Tram/Williamsons).
Map here: http://thehippy.net/nucleus/media/1/20040927-BR_route.gif
60-90k roundtrip. depending upon which loop/aadditions are done
25kph'ish average, catering for all speeds with faster guys/gal waiting at various hill tops.
25ish kph average
size. anything from 3-15 (15?)

Spotted. BR-Founder out doing training :eek: last night on way home from Kew crit

flyingdutch said:
The usual.
Sunday 7:20am
"Bunch Ride (x)" - Meet 7:20am every Sunday at Doncaster Shoppingtown corner (Doncaster and Tram/Williamsons).
Map here: http://thehippy.net/nucleus/media/1/20040927-BR_route.gif
60-90k roundtrip. depending upon which loop/aadditions are done
25kph'ish average, catering for all speeds with faster guys/gal waiting at various hill tops.
25ish kph average
size. anything from 3-15 (15?)

Spotted. BR-Founder out doing training :eek: last night on way home from Kew crit
Gah, friends birthday party on saturday mean that I will not show up, again. Shite.

flyingdutch said:
The usual.
Sunday 7:20am
"Bunch Ride (x)" - Meet 7:20am every Sunday at Doncaster Shoppingtown corner (Doncaster and Tram/Williamsons).
Map here: http://thehippy.net/nucleus/media/1/20040927-BR_route.gif
60-90k roundtrip. depending upon which loop/aadditions are done
25kph'ish average, catering for all speeds with faster guys/gal waiting at various hill tops.
25ish kph average
size. anything from 3-15 (15?)

Spotted. BR-Founder out doing training :eek: last night on way home from Kew crit

I'm out. I'll be riding a few MTB laps here. All being well (& recovered) see you BR24.

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> The usual.
> Sunday 7:20am
> "Bunch Ride (x)" - Meet 7:20am every Sunday at Doncaster Shoppingtown
> corner (Doncaster and Tram/Williamsons).
> Map here: http://thehippy.net/nucleus/media/1/20040927-BR_route.gif
> 60-90k roundtrip. depending upon which loop/aadditions are done
> 25kph'ish average, catering for all speeds with faster guys/gal waiting
> at various hill tops.
> 25ish kph average
> size. anything from 3-15 (15?)
>
> Spotted. BR-Founder out doing training :eek: last night on way home
> from Kew crit
>

> --
> flyingdutch

will be there
newer riders should not fear this..its a good ride and a hell of a lot more
interesting than riding beach road.
plus we finish up early enough to have pretty much the whole day to do other
things..

Just finished bloody exams... really ****** I missed last week. I'll be there.

flyingdutch wrote:
> The usual.
> Sunday 7:20am
> "Bunch Ride (x)" - Meet 7:20am every Sunday at Doncaster Shoppingtown
> corner (Doncaster and Tram/Williamsons).
> Map here: http://thehippy.net/nucleus/media/1/20040927-BR_route.gif
> 60-90k roundtrip. depending upon which loop/aadditions are done
> 25kph'ish average, catering for all speeds with faster guys/gal waiting
> at various hill tops.
> 25ish kph average
> size. anything from 3-15 (15?)
>
> Spotted. BR-Founder out doing training :eek: last night on way home
> from Kew crit

Not for me this week, had to reschedule training so doing a flat ride
out to Whittlesea on Saturday.

DaveB

flyingdutch said:
The usual.
Sunday 7:20am
"Bunch Ride (x)" - Meet 7:20am every Sunday at Doncaster Shoppingtown corner (Doncaster and Tram/Williamsons).
Map here: http://thehippy.net/nucleus/media/1/20040927-BR_route.gif
60-90k roundtrip. depending upon which loop/aadditions are done
25kph'ish average, catering for all speeds with faster guys/gal waiting at various hill tops.
25ish kph average
size. anything from 3-15 (15?)

Spotted. BR-Founder out doing training :eek: last night on way home from Kew crit

Planning to be there this week. It'll be good to put some faces to names :)

flyingdutch said:
The usual.
Map here: http://thehippy.net/nucleus/media/1/20040927-BR_route.gif
Can't come, but I was wondering, after looking at that map, is the route worth doing in reverse. I love climbing, so if there are 3 downhill sprints, would they be good training climbs if it were done in reverse?

(of course, if you finish and start at the same spot, then you must descend and ascend the same distance...but I think you know what I mean...?)

"Walrus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> flyingdutch Wrote:
>> The usual.
>> Map here: http://thehippy.net/nucleus/media/1/20040927-BR_route.gif
>>

> Can't come, but I was wondering, after looking at that map, is the
> route worth doing in reverse. I love climbing, so if there are 3
> downhill sprints, would they be good training climbs if it were done in
> reverse?
>
> (of course, if you finish and start at the same spot, then you must
> descend and ascend the same distance...but I think you know what I
> mean...?)
>

> --
> Walrus

im in no rush to climb the section where most of us hit 80+kph going down..
maybe you can give it a go and do a ride report for us?:)

Dej said:
"Walrus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> flyingdutch Wrote:
>> The usual.
>> Map here: http://thehippy.net/nucleus/media/1/20040927-BR_route.gif
>>

> Can't come, but I was wondering, after looking at that map, is the
> route worth doing in reverse. I love climbing, so if there are 3
> downhill sprints, would they be good training climbs if it were done in
> reverse?
>
> (of course, if you finish and start at the same spot, then you must
> descend and ascend the same distance...but I think you know what I
> mean...?)
>

> --
> Walrus

im in no rush to climb the section where most of us hit 80+kph going down..
maybe you can give it a go and do a ride report for us?:)

80+ kph going down = somewhere around double digit gradient = very hard work to go up! Bon appetit!

Ritch

Walrus said:
Can't come, but I was wondering, after looking at that map, is the route worth doing in reverse. I love climbing, so if there are 3 downhill sprints, would they be good training climbs if it were done in reverse?

(of course, if you finish and start at the same spot, then you must descend and ascend the same distance...but I think you know what I mean...?)

floated that idea a few weeks back, W!

one day, one day. altho the last time we broke from convention we had a huge (and only) pile-up :mad:

flyingdutch wrote:
> Walrus Wrote:
>
>>Can't come, but I was wondering, after looking at that map, is the route
>>worth doing in reverse. I love climbing, so if there are 3 downhill
>>sprints, would they be good training climbs if it were done in reverse?
>>

>>(of course, if you finish and start at the same spot, then you must
>>descend and ascend the same distance...but I think you know what I
>>mean...?)

> floated that idea a few weeks back, W!
>
> one day, one day. altho the last time we broke from convention we had a
> huge (and only) pile-up :mad:

I'll save the reverse route for the week after I climb from W'dyte to K
Ground and say that was too easy, oh yeah and same goes for D Creek to
Yarrambat Rd. I might not be well suited to climbing but at least the
climbs on the current route are slow and steady as opposed to killer
inclines (remind me of that next time I complain about that last rise
before the K Ground roundabout).

DaveB

"Resound" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Incidentally, whereabouts in the shopping centre do we meet?
>

> --
> Resound

not actually in the shopping centre..
we meet on the corner of doncaster & williamsons rd (we'll be basically at
the intersection on the footpath)
hard to miss us, not many other lycra clad ppl hanging around at 7:15am

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> The usual.
> Sunday 7:20am
> "Bunch Ride (x)" - Meet 7:20am every Sunday at Doncaster Shoppingtown
> corner (Doncaster and Tram/Williamsons).
> Map here: http://thehippy.net/nucleus/media/1/20040927-BR_route.gif
> 60-90k roundtrip. depending upon which loop/aadditions are done
> 25kph'ish average, catering for all speeds with faster guys/gal waiting
> at various hill tops.
> 25ish kph average
> size. anything from 3-15 (15?)
>
> Spotted. BR-Founder out doing training :eek: last night on way home
> from Kew crit
> --
> flyingdutch

I am planning on being there at this stage......will no doubt cost me a
batch of pancakes when I get home......thanks for the suggestion dutch, now
my "demonchild" daughter wants them every Sunday (She even managed to hit me
up for them last week when I didn't ride).

Should be a good one, see you there.

Gags

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> The usual.
> Sunday 7:20am
> "Bunch Ride (x)" - Meet 7:20am every Sunday at Doncaster Shoppingtown
> corner (Doncaster and Tram/Williamsons).
> Map here: http://thehippy.net/nucleus/media/1/20040927-BR_route.gif
> 60-90k roundtrip. depending upon which loop/aadditions are done
> 25kph'ish average, catering for all speeds with faster guys/gal waiting
> at various hill tops.
> 25ish kph average
> size. anything from 3-15 (15?)
>
> Spotted. BR-Founder out doing training :eek: last night on way home
> from Kew crit
>

> --
> flyingdutch

Hi all,

I'm finally back after dropping off the face of the earth for a little while
due to major server upgrades at work, track specific cycle training and
sleep. I've been keeping an eye on the group but have had no time to post
during the last few weeks.

Would love to be there for the BR this week but I'll be heading down to the
Crit at Albert Park - I need some speed work. In fact I won't be able to
make it for the next couple of weeks as I've been volunteered as support
crew for my wife at a triathlon on the 5th which is the morning after the
Melbourne Cup on Wheels/Oceania Champs. (urgh, late night and a really
early morning). The weekend after is the Metropolitan Track Champs so
that's out too as far as doing a BR. I think I'll have to be there on the
19th cos that will be the last chance I get to BR until after the Vic
Championships in mid Jan. Anyway I hope that those of you who make it out
there this week have a great ride.

Geoff

"DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Not for me this week, had to reschedule training so doing a flat ride out
> to Whittlesea on Saturday.
>
> DaveB

Dave, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm racing on saturday afternoon (and
hence have to do the domestic tasks in the morning) I would have joined you
for the South Morang - Whittlesea - South Morang leg of your ride.

Geoff

"flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...

> Walrus Wrote:
>> Can't come, but I was wondering, after looking at that map, is the route
>> worth doing in reverse. I love climbing, so if there are 3 downhill
>> sprints, would they be good training climbs if it were done in reverse?
>>

>> (of course, if you finish and start at the same spot, then you must
>> descend and ascend the same distance...but I think you know what I
>> mean...?)

> floated that idea a few weeks back, W!
>
> one day, one day. altho the last time we broke from convention we had a
> huge (and only) pile-up :mad:
>

> --
> flyingdutch

Yeah, my ankle keeps on reminding me of that tragic day every time I
practice a left foot forward standing start in a 98.4" (51x14) gear. That
pile up was in August and it's now nearly December!!!

Geoff

Geoff wrote:
> "DaveB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>

>>Not for me this week, had to reschedule training so doing a flat ride out
>>to Whittlesea on Saturday.
>>
>>DaveB
>>

> Dave, if it wasn't for the fact that I'm racing on saturday afternoon (and
> hence have to do the domestic tasks in the morning) I would have joined you
> for the South Morang - Whittlesea - South Morang leg of your ride.
>
> Geoff

Be glad you didn't. OH MY GAWD that wind was a killer. Straight into a
northerly that at one stage had me down to 14kmh on a flat stretch. I
was so tempted to just give up and turn around but me and the mate I was
with just shamed each other into continuing. Coming home though was a
buzz, even if teh legs were pretty knackered by then. The stretch
straight into the wind that had me down to 14kmh was sped through at
51kmh. WooHoo! And coming down Greensborough Rd past the army camp I was
passing the cars (felt like I was in the truck scene from Breaking Away).

DaveB "I want my aero bars back on"