Brabantse Pijl: "La Machine" strikes again!

Discussion in 'Professional Cycling' started by cyclingheroes, Mar 30, 2008.

1. cyclingheroes

cyclingheroes New Member

Another win for Chavanel. Like at Dwars door Vlaanderen a very strong performance by Cofidis. Especially Kevin de Weert, Nick Nuyens and Chavanel. Gilbert seems to be read for the 'Ronde' as well.

Brabantse Pijl: "La Machine" strikes again!
    http://www.cyclingheroes.info/id1486.html

Tags:

2. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

Whoa, these guys are having a great early season... interesting...

3. earth_dweller

earth_dweller New Member

That was a great finish. I do think that Gilbert would have been able to counter Chavanel's attack if not for crashing and going his handlebars.... but that's racing.

Cofidis was extremely strong, and can't wait for FLanders, where imo Chavanel will ride for Nuyens.

4. Malkmus

Malkmus New Member

Interesting. Either Chavenel has started doping or this sport is getting a bit cleaner. Frankly, I think Quick Step's problems this year are related to this issue.

In my opinion, Chavenel is probably clean. Squizni said he knew there was a major problem when his riders looked fresh after finishing the race. Chavenel was still huffing and puffing during the post-race interview. In contrast, Averson was fresh as a daisy during his interview yesterday. Just an observation.

5. Anticyclone

Anticyclone New Member

I suppose that Chavanel's ride to win was harder than Arvesson though (23km versus 1km)? Arvesson also had the luxury of being able to sit on as Cancellara was coming up. However, Arvesson does continue the odd trend of older riders winning (he's 33).

Well done to Chavanel:)

6. thunder

thunder New Member

Arvesen have always been at the pinnacle, but never been able to win. Always in the top 10 in Tour de France bunch sprints when he was given freedom. Always in one or two classics being in the final group. Never able to win.

He can basically do it all, classics, tts, prologues, and sprints. Unfortunately, cannot do one well enough to win regularly in the Protour. He outsprinted Freire to win the espoirs worlds in about 97ish.

Great rider. But was on a Riis program.

Remember last year Damsgaard leaked to the press that there was an anomaly in his blood work. Riis managed to shut Damsgaard up quick fast, and KAA sued a Danish paper. Why on earth the Danish paper paid up, is anyone's guess.

7. RAGT

RAGT New Member

The paper said they payed because they could not prove it was Arvesen. It was a symbolic sum.

(Arvesen have only one top ten placing in a Tour bunch sprint, a 7. place at Charleroi way back in 2004. But I agree that he can do almost anything rather well, except the big mountains.)

8. Wayne666

Wayne666 New Member

I thought the #1 suspect was Cancellara, then maybe one of Schleck's brothers or Sastre before you'd ever get to Arveson, at least based on results.

9. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Agree with the comments about Arversen.

Super rider in my opinion : great team man and a bloody good rider.