Brachytherapy------>>>>>>>side effects

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by wendy norman, Sep 13, 2003.

  1. wendy norman

    wendy norman Guest

    I just had brachytherapy 8/19 and cannot find a whole lot of information
    about normal/abnormal side effects after surgery. I do have an appt. with
    the doctor thursday but would still like to read up on this. Does anyone
    have any good URL's or personal information on intravascular brachytherapy.
    I am thinking that the scar tissue that formed from my stents may still be
    there.

    Tags:

  2. Markthree

    Markthree Guest

    I had brachytherapy to fix a twice restenosed stent. It worked!!! I haven't
    had any problem at that location for the year and a half since it was done.

    The brachytherapy is a two step procedure. First is a fairly normal baloon
    angioplasty to squeeze the material (similar to scar tissue) up against the
    inside of the old stent. The scar tissue is not removed.

    the second step is the insertion of a radioactive bead into the reopened stent.
    It is left there for a few minutes and then withdrawn. The purpose of the
    radiation is to inhibit the regrowth or reexpansion of the scar tissue.

    You will no doubt have another stress test in a few months to check the
    results. Good luck. If I remember correctly the chances of success are better
    than 80%.

  3. wendy norman

    wendy norman Guest

    Thanks Mark,
    I appreciate your input. I have been pretty stressed about every little
    flutter, pain, etc, since the failure of my stress test. It just sometimes
    seems unfair when you try so hard w/diet and exercise and still failing. Did
    you say you had the brachytherapy twice?

  4. wendy norman wrote:

    > I just had brachytherapy 8/19 and cannot find a whole lot of information
    > about normal/abnormal side effects after surgery. I do have an appt. with
    > the doctor thursday but would still like to read up on this. Does anyone
    > have any good URL's or personal information on intravascular brachytherapy.
    > I am thinking that the scar tissue that formed from my stents may still be
    > there.

    The brachytherapy should keep new scarring from happening more.

    --
    Dr. Andrew B. Chung, MD/PhD
    Board-Certified Cardiologist

  5. wendy norman wrote:

    > Thank you Dr. Chung. I sure do hope that it does. I just want to feel normal
    > again and not to feel so mortal all the time. Sites on intravascular
    > brachytherapy are not that informative and I am someone who has a hunger for
    > knowledge, especially when it involves something so extreme that has
    > happened to me such as this!!

    That's understandable. Please make sure you stay on the clopidogrel as your
    cardiologist probably has instructed.