Bradley Wiggins: a pro cyclist with integrity.

helmutRoole2 said:
This guy said, and I believe him, that Saiz would round up all the top riders for a two-week high altitude camp and when they came back they were "unnaturally" flying.

Sounds like it's been going on for a while. I think for a while, only the top riders were doping, but with the internet and the growth of knowledge, i think they are all... sadly, Wiggins included.

I wish you was wrong... but maybe Wiggins just hasn't met the right Doctor yet.

helmutRoole2 said:
There's a guy here, in Miami, an American, my age who raced for ONCE in the 80s. He started here in Florida, went to Spain as a Cat.3 on an exchange program with Mapei. One in a million thing, but a true talent.

Anyway, Manolo Saiz saw him drop two of his riders in a stage race. He tested him, discovered his VO2max and signed him. The kid didn't come home for two years. This guy still places in NRC races today at 40. He's done the Giro, the Veulta and all the classics except PR, but down on the food chain within ONCE.

This guy said, and I believe him, that Saiz would round up all the top riders for a two-week high altitude camp and when they came back they were "unnaturally" flying.

Sounds like it's been going on for a while. I think for a while, only the top riders were doping, but with the internet and the growth of knowledge, i think they are all... sadly, Wiggins included.

If you're of an age like me - you'll recall that ONCE really did destroy every other team in the peloton for years.

I can remember Jalabert and Zulle winning stage race after stage race, swapping Vuelta titles like there was no tomorrow.
I've got the press cuttings and the publications from that time "Saiz says that ONCE work harder than another other Super Prestige Team" etc.
Yet ONCE could never quite manage to beat Banesto at Le Tour.
Each year, Saiz would proclaim "this year, we're gonna beat Indurain" and sure enough - they didn't.

I'd say your pal in Florida could tell some stories.

I raced a few events in Florida last year.

I made quick friends with the Mapei Master boys their. Quite a few of them.

Georgio Squinzi was well aware of how his chemical plants operate in Florida and Italy and what chemicals go into his pro mountain bikers and former Pro Road team or 1,000+ victories.

And orange juice was not the key ingredient to winning.

Bradley Wiggins is just parroting the latest non-denial denial craze. T-Mobile's Michael Barry just did the same with his 'time to get off the bus' reference to USPO doping.

It is pure nonsence. They are lying through their teeth. These people MUST inject drug on a daily basis or get out of competition.

Nobody should believe these peptide hormone addicts. That means you!

Flyer's.Finale! said:
I raced a few events in Florida last year.

I made quick friends with the Mapei Master boys their. Quite a few of them.

Georgio Squinzi was well aware of how his chemical plants operate in Florida and Italy and what chemicals go into his pro mountain bikers and former Pro Road team or 1,000+ victories.

And orange juice was not the key ingredient to winning.

Bradley Wiggins is just parroting the latest non-denial denial craze. T-Mobile's Michael Barry just did the same with his 'time to get off the bus' reference to USPO doping.

It is pure nonsence. They are lying through their teeth. These people MUST inject drug on a daily basis or get out of competition.

Nobody should believe these peptide hormone addicts. That means you!

What better way to proactively defend yourself against doping allegations than to publicly and loudly proclaim your disgust and outrage at the prevalence of doping in the pro peleton?

Bradley Wiggins, Chris Hoy, Mark French, Jobie Dajka, Brad McGee, Michael Barry, George Hincapie, Levi, Floyd, Tyler and Lance have much in common.

Fibbing is one attribute they all share.

limerickman said:
Yeah, I've always had a difficulty understanding how a trackman could become a roadman (I mean a one day/GT winning roadman).
Both disciplines are exclusive and it seems to me that you're either one or the other.
Case in point ......Here is a guy who has registered more wattage then Armstrong and Indurain combined have ever registered. This guy would never lose a one on one sprint to Zabel, Cipo, and Boonen on a bad day...
He wore the rainbow stripes.....

Alp de Huez????? He might as well take a touring bike and pannniers, and schedule a vacation cause he ain't going to climb that in several days.....

After 190km's and cobblestones? He's be back in the clubhouse drinking Belgian Ale.

Trackies train with weights, not bicycles.
Roadies train long hours on the road.

I cannot believe a trackie could ever compete....

Wofie:

How do you reconcile Brad McGee's:

1) AIS alumni history?
2) his beer drinking?
3) his track successes?
4) his Giro & TDF & Olympic pursuit medal, triple achievement in 2004?
5) his top ten Giro GC in 2004?
6) his medically treated hypoglycemia (btw: we all suffer from that)
7) his phony boost daring jouranlists to follow him around every day to see if he injects drugs. (Bradley welched on that website pledge)

Trackies can be made to climb high mountains in minutes, not days.

wolfix said:
Trackies train with weights, not bicycles.
Roadies train long hours on the road.

I cannot believe a trackie could ever compete....

That's what I always assumed too. (not that I ever did much track riding myself)

Track pursuiters make the greatest roadies of all. Most dynamic, fast and unbeatable in most scenarios.

Match sprinters make for great rugby and college football players. WWE wrestlers too. Not triathletes.

Stage Racing is all about blood doping and steroids for wasting activities.

But Bradley McGee and Robbie McEwen proved trackies can excel at road racing!

Flyer's.Finale! said:
Wofie:

How do you reconcile Brad McGee's:

1) AIS alumni history?
2) his beer drinking?
3) his track successes?
4) his Giro & TDF & Olympic pursuit medal, triple achievement in 2004?
5) his top ten Giro GC in 2004?
6) his medically treated hypoglycemia (btw: we all suffer from that)
7) his phony boost daring jouranlists to follow him around every day to see if he injects drugs. (Bradley welched on that website pledge)

Trackies can be made to climb high mountains in minutes, not days.

In respect of McGee, he was always rated as having a great engine, regardless.

There are some (they're the exception) who can ride well on the track and on the road.
Merckx, McGee, Sercu.
Zabel also.

Same can be said about having the best access to Italian blood doping programs.

Anyone think Lance Armstrong could complete a stage of the TDF without medical help?

Flyer's.Finale! said:
Same can be said about having the best access to Italian blood doping programs.

Anyone think Lance Armstrong could complete a stage of the TDF without medical help?

I am sure LA could complete a TDF stage without medical help.

Problem being when riders start to perform way beyond their natural limits that's where doubt sets in - as was the case with LA.

But listen, we've been over that subject 10 billion times at this stage.

I am not sure Lance Pharmstrong could drive to the drug store w/o trauma medical help---let alone yo-yo off the back of a blood transfused and amphetamine and cortisone fueled single file line over pave. You are a dreamer Lim.

The EPO Tour of Amgen winner will be doped too.

Flyer's.Finale! said:
I am not sure Lance Pharmstrong could drive to the drug store w/o trauma medical help---let alone yo-yo off the back of a blood transfused and amphetamine and cortisone fueled single file line over pave. You are a dreamer Lim.

I wouldn't categorise myself as a dreamer, FF.

The fact of the matter is that the LA case has been discussed, dissected, ad nauseum.

Yes and no.

The issue of pharmaceutical & training retooling is an unending topic.

I have raced bicycles with former NFL tightends. It took 4-6 six years of retooling (their words) to covert into an endurance-based sprinter from an explosive power hitter. The retooled talent can now sprint with the fastest local track people--in flatter road races and city center criteriums.

The issue was whether Bradley Wiggins or Bardley McGee or Robbie McEwen can compete to win in road races. The answer is YES---if they retool.

Lance Armstrong retooled too.

Anyone can retool.

The issue in not road versus track talent. The issue is specific training and doping.

Flyer's.Finale! said:
Yes and no.

The issue of pharmaceutical & training retooling is an unending topic.

I have raced bicycles with former NFL tightends. It took 4-6 six years of retooling (their words) to covert into an endurance-based sprinter from an explosive power hitter. The retooled talent can now sprint with the fastest local track people--in flatter road races and city center criteriums.

The issue was whether Bradley Wiggins or Bardley McGee or Robbie McEwen can compete to win in road races. The answer is YES---if they retool.

Lance Armstrong retooled too.

Anyone can retool.

The issue in not road versus track talent. The issue is specific training and doping.

It might be an unending topic for you.
But as far as I am concerned no amount of "retooling" could make a trackman beat a roadman, on the road consistently.

Look at the champions - Coppi/Anquetil/Merckz/Hinault/Indurain : no track man ever managed to beat any of the aforementioned guys consistently on the road.
Roadmen are roadmen - with powers of endurance built up through years of training.

Flyer's.Finale! said:

Yeah! "Pharmstrong" never even bothered training on the bike. He just sat on the couch eating chips, drinking beer and pumping in his pharmaceuticals, glancing at his watch occasionally to see if it was time to go race yet. Then when it was, he simply hopped on the bike and crushed the best in the world. No work. Just pure juice baby!

Right FF? :p

limerickman said:
Look at the champions - Coppi/Anquetil/Merckz/Hinault/Indurain : no track man ever managed to beat any of the aforementioned guys consistently on the road.
Roadmen are roadmen - with powers of endurance built up through years of training.

Couldn't agree more. There's never been a converted track rider that's gone on to beat the best roadmen.

limerickman said:

I agree. The cycling scene in the UK is very dominated towards the track, because of the way that funding is set up: the British funding is awarded based on Olympic and Commonwealth golds achieved, and to put it simply there are more medals available, and fewer uncontrolable variables, on the track than on the road. So, our best youngsters are made to ride the track on the WCPP if they want any support. British Cycling is now recognised as a national example of best practice, and other sports are trying to catch up to try to retain their funding. But it means that our best riders aren't even transferring to the road until their mid 20s, like Wiggins, and have a lot of catching up to do. Contrast to Ireland, who send their youngsters to a camp in Belgium to learn to race.

In terms of the drugs question for trackies: we're constantly told here in the UK that of course our track team is clean, and that they are leading the way in demonstrating what can be done without drugs. Looking at it objectively though, it doesn't stack up: Britain has gone from nowhere 10 years ago, to one of the leading track nations in the world virtually overnight. Our model was always said to be based on that of the AIS, but mentions of that have gone a bit quiet recently. Much as it would be nice to think that 'our boys' were clean (and I've ridden with some of those guys since they were in the youth categories) I know what people looking in from other countries must think and it's hard to think of any rational explanation not to agree.