Brain Bucket

grindr82

Sep 4, 2011
Figured the title would get some attention :) Other than price is there any safety differences between the lower end $60 specialized(or Giro) helmets and the higher end $100 and up?

The difference is the weight, vents, and style. The 40 dollar helemt vs the 200 dollar helmet will both save your head. This didnt stop me from spending over 130 for a helmet :)

Well, there are a couple of different standards that helmets can be tested to: a helmet carrying a Snell rating should offer a tad more protection. Whether that's ultimately important or not is another question.

IMO, I go for fit first. Any helmet will have a hard time performing to spec if it's wobbling about on your head.

Ha Ha!! I've actually found a great deal on a specialized that was $110..I'll spend the $ if I have to ;-)

All helmets sold in the US meet minimum ANSI safety standards. The lower end helmets have less venting as noted before. Less vents more material possibly more collision protection. Just an assumption on my part.

Anyone know of any links to testing data?

Originally Posted by Scotty_Dog .

I can't remember if this website has any testing data, but I've referenced it many times to expand my "brain bucket" knowledge: Bicycle Helmet Safety Institute
Good link. A study was conducted with helmets in the 10 to 20 range campared to helmets in the 1 to 2 hundred range. All helmets offered the same protection against impact. The higher priced helmets used a higher density foam to compensate for the extra venting.

Thanks for all of the info guys. I went ahead and purchased the Specialized Echelon. I wanted the Propero but didn't have the means to buy the $100 helmet.