Brake block inserts: compatibility?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by scruffdoc, Jul 15, 2007.

1. scruffdoc

scruffdoc New Member

Hi all

Are there compatibility issues with V-brake block inserts?

I'm trying to do the green thing and change to brake block inserts rather than 1-piece blocks which I have to throw away (including perfectly good metal block and fixings) every time the rubber wears out. I want to buy brake blocks with replaceable inserts so I only have to replace the bit which is work out in future.

I've been looking at insertable blocks from Shimano, Kool Stop and Aztec amongst others. There is a big price difference across blocks and (to a lesser extent) inserts. I'd like to buy blocks that can be refilled with several different manufacturers inserts, in case a partcularly manufacturer goes under!

My bike is a hybrid Giant with shimano V-brakes, 28" alloy rims, I don't need any particularly high performance braking and never off-road it.

Any advice :confused:

TIA

scruffdoc :)

Tags:

2. mongooseboy

mongooseboy New Member

I use Avid Rim Wrangler 2 (they might have a newer version out?) on my MTB. I believe they are compatable across the board with any company. I only have cheap tektro v-brake arms, but these pads made quite a difference in stopping. even when they get dirty they seem to still stop pretty good :) of course it helps a lot to get the pads set up properly. i set them up about a millimeter or two away from the non-tire edge of the rim face, and i use two .70mm guitar picks as spacers for the rear of the pad (you want the front of the pad to hit first). another trick is to HOLD the pad while you tighten the screw so it doesnt move...might be obvious after an attempt or two!

thats all i have experience with. although ive read kool stop are pretty good. Might want to check out mtbr.com for reviews... :)

http://www.jensonusa.com/store/product/BR707D02-Avid+Rim+Wrangler+2+Post+Brake+Pads.aspx

theres a link to the pads. price isnt bad either.

3. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

I'm using Swisstop green cartridge pads in an XT v-brake with the original Shimano pad holders. Beautiful brake!

4. scruffdoc

scruffdoc New Member

Thanks for the 2 replies so far. Reassured that block inserts seem widely interchangable, I finally plumped for some Aztec blocks and inserts, as they seemed fairly widely availabel round here and cheap enough not to make me sick if they don't work! I'll let you know how they get on.

scruffdoc