Brake blocks and rim wear.

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Roger Thorpe, Feb 13, 2003.

  1. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    > Clive George wrote:
    >
    > > The key is that magura do these pads, not koolstop (although koolstop probably actually make
    > > them).
    > >
    > >> By the way, I do realise that you were referring to disc brake models,
    > >
    > > tee hee. They made rim brakes first. It should have been pretty obvious I was talking about
    > > these when I wrote "Grey and green are for ceramic rims." (you snipped this).
    >
    > Right, I got confused because Kool Stop do make "Magura" models and also because I have been lead
    > to believe that Kool Stop is the only company currently producing brake pads with the an iron
    > oxide compound - so I closed my mind to the fact that Magura could possibly be involved. Sorry
    > about that.

    no worries

    > Just out of interest, are you sure that Magura use the Scott-Mathauser compound?

    Pretty sure. It's the right colour (I've got some on the road tandem). Magura cult rim brakes FAQ
    says "Red pads - they are made by Koolstop in the USA (it's the Mathauser Salmon colour pad
    material), shipped to Germany, the plastic backs are glued on and then they are shipped back to N.
    America (and round the rest of the world too)." Magura cult appears to be on
    http://www.execulink.com/~dtierney/wmc/Magura/contents.htm although if you're reading this in the
    archives a google for 'magura cult' may be a better way to find them.

    cheers, clive

  2. Roger Thorpe <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > What has changed to make rim wear such a problem nowadays? A decade or so ago I used to be able to
    > ride for a year or so on coloured rims before the dyed layer even began to wear off.

    On the subject of braking and rim wear, does anyone know why Mavic CD-type rims have the coating on
    the braking surface too? The CD treatment apparently improves rim durability, but a couple of
    weeks' worth of braking leaves it looking a bit ropey. Is it not possible to apply CD treatment in
    a way that leaves the braking surface clear? Mavic certainly do this with their red, blue or black
    [1] rims, although in these cases the anodising is there to look good [2] rather than give
    performance benefits!

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

    [1] Black CXP33s on the 'cross bike are a very tempting thought for the 2003-2004 season.
    [2] I always thought that Mavic Heliums were a really flash-looking wheelset. Pity about the
    shortcomings of the design (needing an appointment with the spoke key after almost every ride)!

  3. [email protected] (Rory) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...

    > > I believe that blocks are harder these days, which is one of the reasons why they tend to squeak
    > > so much.
    >
    > And not just for the fun of it: they stop better and actually work in the wet, but they don't half
    > eat up rims. MeinJew, I've normally collapsed or buckled the wheel before the rims are useless, I
    > must learn to build/true wheels one of these days. Anyone know if ceramic rims are worthwhile?

    They're at the other extreme of things; modern brake block compounds may be harsh towards ordinary
    alloy rims, but ceramic rims are very good at wearing out brake blocks!!

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  4. Rory

    Rory Guest

    Peter, Clive: thanks for taking the time to sort that out - I think I've got it figured now....

  5. I had a set of wheels built in 1984 and I've been riding on them ever since on several bicycles and
    with a variety of different brake blocks. Sometimes i've used these wheels as a pair and sometimes
    I've used just one of them along with another wheel. The front one was used on an exceedingly wet
    End-to-End in 1988 where it rained all but 4 or 5 days out of 14. The Wolber Super Champion 58 rims
    are still just fine and I think that's the key. I think that rims wear out because manufacturers
    have catered to the weight-obsessed among us by thinning the rims to the point that they wear
    through quickly. My old Super Champions weigh 550 grams but they haven't worn through. Perhaps they
    were made of better material too, but they haven't lasted so long because they wer treated gently.

    Of course Mavic, in it's wisdom, discontinued these rims when they acquired Wolber.

    Bob Taylor