brake blocks for Open Pro rims?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by MartinM, Jan 25, 2006.

  1. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    My nice new shiny wheels are on the way from Ribble (so expect to see
    them for the 2007 TdF). I was just wondering what blocks others were
    using with them. The MA3's with the Shimano M50's were Ok, but I put
    Aztecs on over the winter which have worn out already due to skog (tm)
    although they did work very well if a little noisily. Any
    recommendations?

    Tags:

  2. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > My nice new shiny wheels are on the way from Ribble (so expect to see
    > them for the 2007 TdF). I was just wondering what blocks others were
    > using with them. The MA3's with the Shimano M50's were Ok, but I put
    > Aztecs on over the winter which have worn out already due to skog (tm)
    > although they did work very well if a little noisily. Any
    > recommendations?

    I just use standard Campag ones on one bike, and "whatever was to
    hand from the bits box" on the other. There doesn't seem a vast
    amount of difference

    --
    Arthur Clune

  3. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Arthur Clune wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    > > My nice new shiny wheels are on the way from Ribble (so expect to see
    > > them for the 2007 TdF). I was just wondering what blocks others were
    > > using with them. The MA3's with the Shimano M50's were Ok, but I put
    > > Aztecs on over the winter which have worn out already due to skog (tm)
    > > although they did work very well if a little noisily. Any
    > > recommendations?

    > I just use standard Campag ones on one bike, and "whatever was to
    > hand from the bits box" on the other. There doesn't seem a vast
    > amount of difference

    do Campag blocks go on Shimano calipers? (seems like a daft question
    but the last item of Campag anything I owned was about 1974 when
    SunTour was considered better and Shimano and Mavic were fishing reels)

  4. M-gineering

    M-gineering Guest

    MartinM wrote:
    > Arthur Clune wrote:
    >
    >>MartinM wrote:
    >>
    >>>My nice new shiny wheels are on the way from Ribble (so expect to see
    >>>them for the 2007 TdF). I was just wondering what blocks others were
    >>>using with them. The MA3's with the Shimano M50's were Ok, but I put
    >>>Aztecs on over the winter which have worn out already due to skog (tm)
    >>>although they did work very well if a little noisily. Any
    >>>recommendations?

    >>I just use standard Campag ones on one bike, and "whatever was to
    >>hand from the bits box" on the other. There doesn't seem a vast
    >>amount of difference

    > do Campag blocks go on Shimano calipers? (seems like a daft question
    > but the last item of Campag anything I owned was about 1974 when
    > SunTour was considered better and Shimano and Mavic were fishing reels)

    DA 8 speed inserts fit old style campag inserts. Of course you could
    swap complete pads with holders.
    I'd consider Koolstop Salmons, which brake, last a lot longer and don't
    eat up rims like Shimano.

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL
    www.m-gineering.nl

  5. dkahn400

    dkahn400 Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > My nice new shiny wheels are on the way from Ribble (so expect to see
    > them for the 2007 TdF). I was just wondering what blocks others were
    > using with them. The MA3's with the Shimano M50's were Ok, but I put
    > Aztecs on over the winter which have worn out already due to skog (tm)
    > although they did work very well if a little noisily. Any
    > recommendations?

    Has to be Kool Stop Salmon.

    --
    Dave...

  6. MartinM wrote:

    > My nice new shiny wheels are on the way from Ribble (so expect to see
    > them for the 2007 TdF). I was just wondering what blocks others were
    > using with them. The MA3's with the Shimano M50's were Ok, but I put
    > Aztecs on over the winter which have worn out already due to skog (tm)
    > although they did work very well if a little noisily. Any
    > recommendations?

    I can't really recommend any other than Aztec or Shimano. They're the only
    one's I've ever used but they both do the job pretty effectively.

    ps, I didn't know Mavic used to make fishing stuff. Fancy that -- a high-end
    bike part manufacturer churning out fishing gear. Next they'll be making
    golf clubs!

  7. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    M-gineering wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:

    and Mavic were fishing reels)

    maybe it was ski bindings?

    > DA 8 speed inserts fit old style campag inserts. Of course you could
    > swap complete pads with holders.
    > I'd consider Koolstop Salmons, which brake, last a lot longer and don't
    > eat up rims like Shimano.

    thanks; Kools seem to be the favourite so far.

  8. Simon Bennett wrote:

    > MartinM wrote:
    >
    > > My nice new shiny wheels are on the way from Ribble (so expect to see
    > > them for the 2007 TdF). I was just wondering what blocks others were
    > > using with them. The MA3's with the Shimano M50's were Ok, but I put
    > > Aztecs on over the winter which have worn out already due to skog (tm)
    > > although they did work very well if a little noisily. Any
    > > recommendations?

    > I can't really recommend any other than Aztec or Shimano. They're the only
    > one's I've ever used but they both do the job pretty effectively.

    Fibrax road blocks are good too, although (a) judging by design I
    suspect they're actually made in the same factory as Aztec and (b) I've
    a feeling the Fibrax brand is now extinct, as they've merged with
    Clarks (of cables fame) and thus all Fibrax blocks/pads are now sold as
    Clarks.

    David Belcher

  9. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > do Campag blocks go on Shimano calipers? (seems like a daft question

    Just swap out both the pad and the holder and all blocks are interchangable.

    Arthur

    --
    Arthur Clune

  10. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    David E. Belcher wrote:
    > Simon Bennett wrote:
    >
    > > MartinM wrote:
    > >
    > > > My nice new shiny wheels are on the way from Ribble (so expect to see
    > > > them for the 2007 TdF). I was just wondering what blocks others were
    > > > using with them. The MA3's with the Shimano M50's were Ok, but I put
    > > > Aztecs on over the winter which have worn out already due to skog (tm)
    > > > although they did work very well if a little noisily. Any
    > > > recommendations?

    > > I can't really recommend any other than Aztec or Shimano. They're the only
    > > one's I've ever used but they both do the job pretty effectively.

    > Fibrax road blocks are good too, although (a) judging by design I
    > suspect they're actually made in the same factory as Aztec and (b) I've
    > a feeling the Fibrax brand is now extinct, as they've merged with
    > Clarks (of cables fame) and thus all Fibrax blocks/pads are now sold as
    > Clarks.

    Fibrax, now there's a name that rings a bell (a no blocks and deeply
    scored rims after 2 weeks bell). To add to the confusion, Jagwire now
    make ones that look suspicioulsy similar. And I'm sure Kool stops look
    like the old 80's stylee Aztecs.

    Going back to 70's 80's bike bit brands, components went upwards
    Simplex- Svelta-Huret-Campag-Sun Tour in skool kid gas pipe circles.
    Then came the 80's and SR / Weinmann everything. Gorgonzola Far Eastern
    stuff was easily had and very shiny to boot. The first time I realised
    that 700c's were not confined to tubs (84) you could pick up Rigidas on
    Maillard hubs for 20 something a pair (later became Pelissier hubs)
    from Allens, MA2's were ground breaking in that they were a. black, b.
    60 quid. 84 was the first time I saw Shimano (600).

  11. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    > And I'm sure Kool stops look like the old 80's stylee Aztecs.

    Another vote for Kool Stop Salmon or Dual from me. They're different and
    better than 80s Aztecs or anything around now.

    ~PB

  12. Phil Cook

    Phil Cook Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    >M-gineering wrote:
    >> MartinM wrote:

    >and Mavic were fishing reels)
    >
    >maybe it was ski bindings?

    I thought it was Look that was ski bindings and Shimano that were
    fishing reels. Mavic has always been rims hasn't it?

  13. Simon Brooke

    Simon Brooke Guest

    in message <[email protected]>,
    MartinM ('[email protected]') wrote:

    > do Campag blocks go on Shimano calipers? (seems like a daft question
    > but the last item of Campag anything I owned was about 1974 when
    > SunTour was considered better and Shimano and Mavic were fishing reels)

    Errrmmm... if you're old enough to remember when the 'Manufacture
    d’Articles Vélocipédiques Idoux et Chanel' (MAVIC) weren't making bike
    parts, you may be able to explain why the company has used that name...
    since 1889. Makes even Campag look like Johnnie-come-latelies.

    Iraq war: it's time for regime change...
    ... go now, Tony, while you can still go with dignity.
    [update 18 months after this .sig was written: it's still relevant]

  14. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Simon Brooke wrote:
    > in message <[email protected]>,
    > MartinM ('[email protected]') wrote:
    >
    > > do Campag blocks go on Shimano calipers? (seems like a daft question
    > > but the last item of Campag anything I owned was about 1974 when
    > > SunTour was considered better and Shimano and Mavic were fishing reels)

    > Errrmmm... if you're old enough to remember when the 'Manufacture
    > d'Articles Vélocipédiques Idoux et Chanel' (MAVIC) weren't making bike
    > parts, you may be able to explain why the company has used that name...
    > since 1889. Makes even Campag look like Johnnie-come-latelies.

    OK Ok maybe it was (thinks desperately of another manufaturer)

    back to the OP:
    http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/
    the Continentals are what I always knew as Aztecs,
    so which type should I use for Shimano calipers on Pro-race?

  15. MartinM wrote:

    > back to the OP:
    > http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/
    > the Continentals are what I always knew as Aztecs,
    > so which type should I use for Shimano calipers on Pro-race?

    Answer: PART#KS-DURACF (
    http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/#Anchor-Salmon-57343 ). The red (wet weather)
    or black one.

    Shirley Pro-race is a tyre?

    ps, it's Shimano that makes fishing gear -- and golfing stuff, though not
    the trousers, one hopes.

  16. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Simon Bennett wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    >
    > > back to the OP:
    > > http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/
    > > the Continentals are what I always knew as Aztecs,
    > > so which type should I use for Shimano calipers on Pro-race?

    > Answer: PART#KS-DURACF (
    > http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/#Anchor-Salmon-57343 ). The red (wet weather)
    > or black one.

    Thanks, vanity dictates black

    > Shirley Pro-race is a tyre?

    Yep realised that 0.005 s after I hit send; if we were on a forum
    rather than an ng this could becorrected but let's not go there

    > ps, it's Shimano that makes fishing gear -- and golfing stuff, though not
    > the trousers, one hopes.

    not even B*btights?
    I watched a TV programme a while ago; in Japan they make whole bikes as
    well but did not export them as not viable, I always thought I'd see
    one over here for exlusivity value but haven't so far.....

  17. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    MartinM wrote:

    >> Answer: PART#KS-DURACF (
    >> http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/#Anchor-Salmon-57343 ). The red (wet
    >> weather) or black one.

    > Thanks, vanity dictates black

    I don't think the all-black ones are any better than Barry Bloggs Blocks
    from Bilbo Blaggins's Bakery or whatever or wherever. Only the
    salmon-coloured stuff has the magic powder* in it, afaik -- good in the
    dry as well as wet. Do you want to look good or stop good? ;-)

    * Scott-Mathauser material, see:
    http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#salmon

    ~PB

  18. MartinM

    MartinM Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > MartinM wrote:
    >
    > >> Answer: PART#KS-DURACF (
    > >> http://www.koolstop.com/brakes/#Anchor-Salmon-57343 ). The red (wet
    > >> weather) or black one.

    > > Thanks, vanity dictates black

    > I don't think the all-black ones are any better than Barry Bloggs Blocks
    > from Bilbo Blaggins's Bakery or whatever or wherever. Only the
    > salmon-coloured stuff has the magic powder* in it, afaik -- good in the
    > dry as well as wet. Do you want to look good or stop good? ;-)

    point taken; but Shirley iron oxide is going to wear the rims out as
    quickly as the ground glass/whatever that Shimano put in theirs? FWIW
    my dual pivot levers have never had a problem with stopping in any
    weather whatever blocks I have used

  19. Clive George

    Clive George Guest

    "MartinM" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > point taken; but Shirley iron oxide is going to wear the rims out as
    > quickly as the ground glass/whatever that Shimano put in theirs?

    Experience says otherwise - the set I have on the tandem seems quite good in
    that respect.

    cheers,
    clive

  20. > point taken; but Shirley iron oxide is going to wear the rims out as
    > quickly as the ground glass/whatever that Shimano put in theirs? FWIW
    > my dual pivot levers have never had a problem with stopping in any
    > weather whatever blocks I have used

    Nobody has a problem _stopping_, but it's a shorter braking distance that
    we're after, particularly in the wet.