Brake blocks or pads

Sorry to pester the group again.

I need to order brake blocks or pads, but haven't a clue which type;
the images (e.g. on wiggle.co.uk's online catalogue) don't help me at
all.

The bike is a Trek 1200 (2005); here is a picture of the front brake;
rear the same --- at least to this untrained eye.

http://www.jgcampbell.com/tmp/brake.jpg

I understand that it may be normal to buy pads and insert those in the
unit (the block?) that bolts onto the caliper. Is that correct?

It would be rather nice if someone was to point me directly at a
specific Wiggle.co.uk item that would do the job.

Another question. Have I the option of replacing the whole block (i.e.
the unit that bolts onto the caliper) --- for whatever reason, e.g.
performance, durability.

TIA,

Jon C.

[email protected] wrote:
> Sorry to pester the group again.
>
> I need to order brake blocks or pads, but haven't a clue which type;
> the images (e.g. on wiggle.co.uk's online catalogue) don't help me at
> all.
>
> The bike is a Trek 1200 (2005); here is a picture of the front brake;
> rear the same --- at least to this untrained eye.
>
> http://www.jgcampbell.com/tmp/brake.jpg
>
> I understand that it may be normal to buy pads and insert those in the
> unit (the block?) that bolts onto the caliper. Is that correct?
>
> It would be rather nice if someone was to point me directly at a
> specific Wiggle.co.uk item that would do the job.
>
> Another question. Have I the option of replacing the whole block (i.e.
> the unit that bolts onto the caliper) --- for whatever reason, e.g.
> performance, durability.

Go to your LBS, they will be able to help.

[email protected] wrote:
> Sorry to pester the group again.
>
> I need to order brake blocks or pads, but haven't a clue which type;
> the images (e.g. on wiggle.co.uk's online catalogue) don't help me at
> all.
>
> The bike is a Trek 1200 (2005); here is a picture of the front brake;
> rear the same --- at least to this untrained eye.
>
> http://www.jgcampbell.com/tmp/brake.jpg
>
> I understand that it may be normal to buy pads and insert those in the
> unit (the block?) that bolts onto the caliper. Is that correct?

Yes.
That saves you having to unbolt and then perform the slightly fiddly
(height, twist, toe-in) alignment of the carrier piece.

> It would be rather nice if someone was to point me directly at a
> specific Wiggle.co.uk item that would do the job.

Assuming they are Shimano road pattern, any compatible replacement for those
carriers will do.
Various makers offer compatible blocks.
If the bike has ceramic rim coatings, there are specific pads recommended
for them, but I doubt the bike has those.

If you don't know what you need, why not visit a real bike shop ?

> Another question. Have I the option of replacing the whole block (i.e.
> the unit that bolts onto the caliper) --- for whatever reason, e.g.
> performance, durability.

You could. But I don't see any compelling reason to change.

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

On 14/07/2007 11:18, [email protected] said,
> Sorry to pester the group again.
>
> I need to order brake blocks or pads, but haven't a clue which type;
> the images (e.g. on wiggle.co.uk's online catalogue) don't help me at
> all.

To be honest, the questions you're asking would make me think you would
be better off going to your LBS (local bike shop). Brakes are something
you need to be sure about what you're doing. Looking at the photo, for
instance, it looks like the block isn't aligned with the rim.

--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk/

On 15 Jul, 12:31, Paul Boyd <[email protected]> wrote:
> On 14/07/2007 11:18, [email protected] said,
>
> > Sorry to pester the group again.

> > I need to order brake blocks or pads, but haven't a clue which type;
> > the images (e.g. on wiggle.co.uk's online catalogue) don't help me at
> > all.

> To be honest, the questions you're asking would make me think you would
> be better off going to your LBS (local bike shop). Brakes are something
> you need to be sure about what you're doing. Looking at the photo, for
> instance, it looks like the block isn't aligned with the rim.

That must be a parallax illusion --- the camera was about two inches
from the object; just checked and they are as well aligned as my eye
can tell.

I'm in full accord with the LBS solution and I'm quite prepared to pay
a decent premium just to make sure they stay in business.

But.

There is one 20 miles away where I bought the bike in question (and
loads of other stuff); there, I have had all sorts of treatment, from
satisfactory, through to insult with (the impression of) rubbish sold
to me at two prices for I'd know no better. And if the owner himself
isn't around, I'd be better going to Halfords. (Maybe wrongly, I take
Halfords to be like PC World or Curry's next door to them --- fine if
you know exactly what you want and know a ballpark reasonable price
and they have it on display, fine; otherwise anything can happen.)

There is one I trust 50 miles away, but getting there and back is a
day's work. If I had bought the bike from him, he'd have the bits I
need and he would post them to me.

Sorry to sound defensive, but where at all practicable I would always
use a local shop. The city I live in (Derry, Londonderry) has close
to 100,000 inhabitants but unfortunately also doesn't have a usable
bookshop, off-licence, or athletics goods shop --- to mention three
more of life's necessities that spring to mind :)

Best regards,

Jon C.