brake blocks

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andy, Jun 24, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Andy

Andy Guest

Hi All

Im using Shimano Sora brakes on Mavic Cosmos rims and wonder whats the best pads to get the bike to
    stop!!! Im not the lightest of riders but would like to be able to stop at least!!!

Andy

Tags:

2. Jim Price

Jim Price Guest

Andy wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > Im using Shimano Sora brakes on Mavic Cosmos rims and wonder whats the best pads to get the bike
    > to stop!!! Im not the lightest of riders but would like to be able to stop at least!!!

I too am not the lightest rider on the planet, and had the same problem. I solved it with some
    Koolstop thinline brake blocks from Wiggle (the Salmon coloured ones). You may have to live with a
    few sarcy comments from purists about using m**nt**n b*k* components on your road bike, but at least
    you'll be able to stop. The only real downside is you'll also be able to wear your tyres out faster.

--
    Jim Price

http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

Conscientious objection is hard work in an economic war.

Aye!.

3. Pete Biggs

Pete Biggs Guest

Andy wrote:
    > Im using Shimano Sora brakes on Mavic Cosmos rims and wonder whats the best pads to get the bike
    > to stop!!! Im not the lightest of riders but would like to be able to stop at least!!!

Campagnolo (bog standard type: will fit Sora) and Kool Stop Salmon are the best I know of. Cleaning
    rims with meths will also help. Consider altering lever and block positions if it feels like you
    can't apply enough force.

~PB

4. Msa

Msa Guest

"Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Andy wrote:
    > > Im using Shimano Sora brakes on Mavic Cosmos rims and wonder whats the best pads to get the bike
    > > to stop!!! Im not the lightest of riders but would like to be able to stop at least!!!
    >
    > Campagnolo (bog standard type: will fit Sora) and Kool Stop Salmon are the best I know of.
    > Cleaning rims with meths will also help. Consider altering lever and block positions if it feels
    > like you can't apply enough force.
    >
    > ~PB
    >
    >

Koolstop Salmons are...err cool!

Best I know of. If you find any Campag ones in the UK. let me know please!

--
    Mark

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak"

5. Pete Biggs

Pete Biggs Guest

MSA wrote:
    >
    > Koolstop Salmons are...err cool!
    >
    > Best I know of. If you find any Campag ones in the UK. let me know please!

www.Wiggle.co.uk now sell Kool Stop refills for Campags (although might depend what model you need).
    I use the "Dura" shoes with Mirage brakes (slots needed filing slightly).

~PB

6. "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi All
    >
    >

The top-of-the range Fibrax cartridge blocks (Ultegra/Dura-Ace copies) are good, but shop around, as
    some outlets stock the packs with an extra set of pads for the same price as the standard packs.
    Price is about ten quid a pair.

David E. Belcher

Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

7. Msa

Msa Guest

> MSA wrote:
    > >
    > > Koolstop Salmons are...err cool!
    > >
    > > Best I know of. If you find any Campag ones in the UK. let me know please!
    >
    > www.Wiggle.co.uk now sell Kool Stop refills for Campags (although might depend what model you
    > need). I use the "Dura" shoes with Mirage brakes (slots needed filing slightly).
    >
    > ~PB
    >
    >

I guess these are Salmons? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300005950

--
    Mark

"Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak"

8. Pete Biggs

Pete Biggs Guest

MSA wrote:
    > I guess these are Salmons? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300005950

The ones pictured are but the description says "Dual" which is half salmon half black (not so good:
    black gets messy in the wet).

Wiggle was definitely selling the salmon versions a few weeks ago but it looks like they've
    dropped them :-(

~PB

9. Msa

Msa Guest

> MSA wrote:
    > > I guess these are Salmons? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300005950
    >
    > The ones pictured are but the description says "Dual" which is half salmon half black (not so
    > good: black gets messy in the wet).
    >
    > Wiggle was definitely selling the salmon versions a few weeks ago but it looks like they've
    > dropped them :-(
    >
    > ~PB
    >
    >

BUGGER!

--
    Mark

10. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:05:35 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Wiggle was definitely selling the salmon versions a few weeks ago but it looks like they've
    >> dropped them :-(

>BUGGER!

You can prolly still buy them from Sheldon

Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
    notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
    between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
    the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

11. Msa

Msa Guest

"Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:05:35 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >> Wiggle was definitely selling the salmon versions a few weeks ago but
    it
    > >> looks like they've dropped them :-(
    >
    > >BUGGER!
    >
    > You can prolly still buy them from Sheldon
    >
    > Guy

Yes you can...that's where my last set came from. Thanks Guy.

--
    Mark

12. Just Zis Guy

Just Zis Guy Guest

On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:19:58 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Yes you can...that's where my last set came from. Thanks Guy.

I have a sneaking suspicion that the orangey-coloured Kool Stop canti pads on display in my LBS may
    have the Salmon compound. http://www.awcycles.co.uk - may be worth phoning them (they are mainly a
    dot-BAM so their web store is a bit basic).

Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
    notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
    between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
    the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.

13. MSA <[email protected]>
    > "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote
    > > Wiggle was definitely selling the salmon versions a few weeks ago but it looks like they've
    > > dropped them :-(
    >
    > BUGGER!
    >

Hopefully they've just run out and will order more of the Salmon ones next time.

Andrew

14. MSA <[email protected]> wrote in
    > "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote
    > > MSA wrote:
    > > > I guess these are Salmons? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300005950
    > >
    > > The ones pictured are but the description says "Dual" which is half
    salmon
    > > half black (not so good: black gets messy in the wet).
    > >
    > > Wiggle was definitely selling the salmon versions a few weeks ago but it looks like they've
    > > dropped them :-(
    > >
    >
    > BUGGER!
    >

Fear not - I've just checked and they are still there in many/most fittings. (eg Dura cartridge,
    Campag 2000 pad, V-brake cartridge pads, but not Campag
    8/9 speed cartridge) They appear as an option under "Standard", rather than Ceramic or Dual, on the
    main Koolstop list.

Andrew

15. Pete Biggs

Pete Biggs Guest

Andrew Sweetman wrote: [re Kool Stops]
    > Fear not - I've just checked and they are still there in many/most fittings.

Back again rather than still there - because they weren't when I last checked. Good for Wiggle for
    only advertising what they actually have or can get quickly. It's usually the other way round with
    suppliers!

~PB

16. Pete Biggs <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    > Andrew Sweetman wrote: [re Kool Stops]
    > > Fear not - I've just checked and they are still there in many/most fittings.
    >
    > Back again rather than still there - because they weren't when I last checked. Good for Wiggle for
    > only advertising what they actually have or can get quickly. It's usually the other way round with
    > suppliers!
    >

Incidentally, on Saturday I noticed that the Cheltenham branch of Lakeland had Campag 2000 carts,
    Campag8/9 carts & thinline blocks in salmon.

Andrew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.