brake blocks

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Andy, Jun 24, 2003.

  1. Andy

    Andy Guest

    Hi All

    Im using Shimano Sora brakes on Mavic Cosmos rims and wonder whats the best pads to get the bike to
    stop!!! Im not the lightest of riders but would like to be able to stop at least!!!

    Andy

    Tags:

  2. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Andy wrote:
    > Hi All
    >
    > Im using Shimano Sora brakes on Mavic Cosmos rims and wonder whats the best pads to get the bike
    > to stop!!! Im not the lightest of riders but would like to be able to stop at least!!!

    I too am not the lightest rider on the planet, and had the same problem. I solved it with some
    Koolstop thinline brake blocks from Wiggle (the Salmon coloured ones). You may have to live with a
    few sarcy comments from purists about using m**nt**n b*k* components on your road bike, but at least
    you'll be able to stop. The only real downside is you'll also be able to wear your tyres out faster.

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

    Aye!.

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Andy wrote:
    > Im using Shimano Sora brakes on Mavic Cosmos rims and wonder whats the best pads to get the bike
    > to stop!!! Im not the lightest of riders but would like to be able to stop at least!!!

    Campagnolo (bog standard type: will fit Sora) and Kool Stop Salmon are the best I know of. Cleaning
    rims with meths will also help. Consider altering lever and block positions if it feels like you
    can't apply enough force.

    ~PB

  4. Msa

    Msa Guest

    > Andy wrote:
    > > Im using Shimano Sora brakes on Mavic Cosmos rims and wonder whats the best pads to get the bike
    > > to stop!!! Im not the lightest of riders but would like to be able to stop at least!!!
    >
    > Campagnolo (bog standard type: will fit Sora) and Kool Stop Salmon are the best I know of.
    > Cleaning rims with meths will also help. Consider altering lever and block positions if it feels
    > like you can't apply enough force.
    >
    > ~PB

    Koolstop Salmons are...err cool!

    Best I know of. If you find any Campag ones in the UK. let me know please!

    --
    Mark

    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak"

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    MSA wrote:

    > Koolstop Salmons are...err cool!
    >
    > Best I know of. If you find any Campag ones in the UK. let me know please!

    www.Wiggle.co.uk now sell Kool Stop refills for Campags (although might depend what model you need).
    I use the "Dura" shoes with Mirage brakes (slots needed filing slightly).

    ~PB

  6. "Andy" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hi All
    >
    > Im using Shimano Sora brakes on Mavic Cosmos rims and wonder whats the best pads to get the bike
    > to stop!!! Im not the lightest of riders but would like to be able to stop at least!!!

    The top-of-the range Fibrax cartridge blocks (Ultegra/Dura-Ace copies) are good, but shop around, as
    some outlets stock the packs with an extra set of pads for the same price as the standard packs.
    Price is about ten quid a pair.

    David E. Belcher

    Dept. of Chemistry, University of York

  7. Msa

    Msa Guest

    I guess these are Salmons? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300005950

    --
    Mark

    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak"

  8. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    MSA wrote:
    > I guess these are Salmons? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300005950

    The ones pictured are but the description says "Dual" which is half salmon half black (not so good:
    black gets messy in the wet).

    Wiggle was definitely selling the salmon versions a few weeks ago but it looks like they've
    dropped them :-(

    ~PB

  9. Msa

    Msa Guest

    > MSA wrote:
    > > I guess these are Salmons? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300005950
    >
    > The ones pictured are but the description says "Dual" which is half salmon half black (not so
    > good: black gets messy in the wet).
    >
    > Wiggle was definitely selling the salmon versions a few weeks ago but it looks like they've
    > dropped them :-(
    >
    > ~PB

    BUGGER!

    --
    Mark

    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak"

  10. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:05:35 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Wiggle was definitely selling the salmon versions a few weeks ago but it looks like they've
    >> dropped them :-(

    >BUGGER!

    You can prolly still buy them from Sheldon

    Guy
    ===

  11. Msa

    Msa Guest

    > On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 17:05:35 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >> Wiggle was definitely selling the salmon versions a few weeks ago but
    it
    > >> looks like they've dropped them :-(
    >
    > >BUGGER!
    >
    > You can prolly still buy them from Sheldon
    >
    > Guy

    Yes you can...that's where my last set came from. Thanks Guy.

    --
    Mark

    "Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak"

  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Sat, 28 Jun 2003 11:19:58 +0000 (UTC), "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yes you can...that's where my last set came from. Thanks Guy.

    I have a sneaking suspicion that the orangey-coloured Kool Stop canti pads on display in my LBS may
    have the Salmon compound. http://www.awcycles.co.uk - may be worth phoning them (they are mainly a
    dot-BAM so their web store is a bit basic).

    Guy
    ===

  13. MSA <[email protected]>
    > "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote
    > > Wiggle was definitely selling the salmon versions a few weeks ago but it looks like they've
    > > dropped them :-(
    >
    > BUGGER!

    Hopefully they've just run out and will order more of the Salmon ones next time.

    Andrew

  14. MSA <[email protected]> wrote in
    > "Pete Biggs" <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote
    > > MSA wrote:
    > > > I guess these are Salmons? http://www.wiggle.co.uk/v2_product_detail.asp?ProdID=5300005950
    > >
    > > The ones pictured are but the description says "Dual" which is half
    salmon
    > > half black (not so good: black gets messy in the wet).
    > >
    > > Wiggle was definitely selling the salmon versions a few weeks ago but it looks like they've
    > > dropped them :-(
    > >

    > BUGGER!

    Fear not - I've just checked and they are still there in many/most fittings. (eg Dura cartridge,
    Campag 2000 pad, V-brake cartridge pads, but not Campag
    8/9 speed cartridge) They appear as an option under "Standard", rather than Ceramic or Dual, on the
    main Koolstop list.

    Andrew

  15. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Andrew Sweetman wrote: [re Kool Stops]
    > Fear not - I've just checked and they are still there in many/most fittings.

    Back again rather than still there - because they weren't when I last checked. Good for Wiggle for
    only advertising what they actually have or can get quickly. It's usually the other way round with
    suppliers!

    ~PB

  16. Pete Biggs <pLime{remove_fruit}@biggs.tc> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Andrew Sweetman wrote: [re Kool Stops]
    > > Fear not - I've just checked and they are still there in many/most fittings.
    >
    > Back again rather than still there - because they weren't when I last checked. Good for Wiggle for
    > only advertising what they actually have or can get quickly. It's usually the other way round with
    > suppliers!

    Incidentally, on Saturday I noticed that the Cheltenham branch of Lakeland had Campag 2000 carts,
    Campag8/9 carts & thinline blocks in salmon.

    Andrew