Brake blocks

In article <[email protected]>, spokes
[email protected] says...

> > That reminds me. I must check my rim wall thickness soon before I have
> > another explosion.

> When pretty much all the black's worn off your black mavic rims, does that
> mean it's time to start thinking about new rims?

No. You can usually tell by touch if a rim is well worn, as the braking
surface will feel noticeably concave. When it's near failure you'll
often find that the flange starts to flare - it's a bad idea to use a
rim in this state, as simply inflating the tyre to maximum pressure will
often split the rim. I've seen it suggested that if you think a rim is
near the end of its life you can overinflate the tyre by 50% to see if
this causes failure. If you do this you should wear eye (and preferably
ear) protection, and leave the wheel somewhere safe for a while - if it
doesn't explode, don't do anything with it until you've reduced the
pressure again.

you can overinflate the tyre by 50% to see if
> this causes failure. If you do this you should wear eye (and preferably
> ear) protection, and leave the wheel somewhere safe for a while - if it
> doesn't explode, don't do anything with it until you've reduced the
> pressure again.

Thanks - noted. You remind me of when I got my track pump and decided to do
'er indores a favour by firming up the tyres on her old Raleigh sit up &
beg...I was back working on the PC upstairs when I heard a distant but
distinct 'bang'. Uh-oh, I thought. Which proved entirely justified...

In article <[email protected]>, spokes
[email protected] says...
> you can overinflate the tyre by 50% to see if
> > this causes failure. If you do this you should wear eye (and preferably
> > ear) protection, and leave the wheel somewhere safe for a while - if it
> > doesn't explode, don't do anything with it until you've reduced the
> > pressure again.

> Thanks - noted. You remind me of when I got my track pump and decided to do
> 'er indores a favour by firming up the tyres on her old Raleigh sit up &
> beg...I was back working on the PC upstairs when I heard a distant but
> distinct 'bang'. Uh-oh, I thought. Which proved entirely justified...

You have to be careful with pressure on older rims that don't have a
hooked bead to retain the tyre - they are less tolerant of
overinflation.

On 4 Dec, 21:00, Andreas Schulze-Bäing <[email protected]> wrote:
> > Do the Kool Stop pads fit Aztec v-brake holders?

> Yes they do, I use this combination - they all seem to be compatible to the
> Shimano system (XT?).

Very timely. My back brake started making a scraping noise this
morning and I discovered the pads were completely worn away. I'm
thought it's not that long since I checked them, but I guess with it
being dark all the time I hadn't looked for a while. Rode using front
brake only and will need to make a distress purchase today for
immediate fitting.