Brake boosters?

> Shaun Rimmer wrote:
> > Sorni <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> >>"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>news:[email protected]...
> >>

> >>PS: Don't see how a brake booster can help with fork flex while using
> >
> > disc
> >
> >>brakes, Shaun, but let us know if it does!
> >

> > Well, in theory, the fork legs are 'twisting' around on the axis created
by
> > where the arch joins them. A thought a booster may help stop them from twisting, and if you look
> > at where it mounts, you'll maybe see why I
thought
> > this.
>
> As previously mentioned, you'd see more benefit from tightening the lower end of the legs at the
> axle as this is the point that sees most deflection.

Aye - you ain't seen hoiw hard I crank down my damned QR's - short of a fat bolt through, there's no
way of getting it stiffer.

> Added to which, a brake booster is supposed to prevent outward flex, not twisting.

I know. That is obvious. I picked one up though - they don't twist much at all.

> That's not to say that extra metal there won't help, but there wasn't enough of an advantage that
> Marzocchi thought to add extra material to the bridge.

Weight. Their forks weigh enough anyhow.

> On a Judy, it may well make an appreciable difference, but I would imagine that installing it on
> an already stiff fork will give you reduced returns.

Maybe.

> > Anyhow, it has been suggested to me by someone I know that it does help,
and
> > enough to make it worth while (mentioned in reply to Clydesdale).
>
> Give it a crack and then report back here. My theories are mere conjecture, so some real world
> experience would be good. Just make sure you don't fall in to the placebo trap :)

Indeed! Like I said, the flex is obvious enough, so, if I gain any 'stiffness', should be easy
enough for me to see it.

I'll be sure to let you know if it works, or not - either way, should I end up trying it.

Cheers!

Shaun aRe