Brake Bosses

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by none, Jun 3, 2003.

  1. none

    none Guest

    Are all brakes bosses the same? For example, would it be possible to upgrade older cantalever style
    brakes with newer V-brakes. Or, are cantalever and V-brake bosses incompatible.

    Thanks, Curt

    >Are all brakes bosses the same? For example, would it be possible to upgrade older cantalever style
    >brakes with newer V-brakes. Or, are cantalever and V-brake bosses incompatible.

    They are compatible. I would question if going for v-brakes is an upgrade.
    -----------------
    Alex __O _-\<,_ (_)/ (_)

  3. Tom Medara

    Tom Medara Guest

    > Are all brakes bosses the same? For example, would it be possible to upgrade older cantalever
    > style brakes with newer V-brakes. Or, are cantalever and V-brake bosses incompatible.
    >
    > Thanks, Curt

    I have an old Fisher hardtail that orginally came with canti-brakes. I opted to upgrade to v's when
    I put a new fork on that didn't have the brake hanger needed for the canti style brakes. It was a
    great upgrade. Tremendous increase in braking power and feel. Check out Pricepoint, Jenson, or some
    such for package deals and it won't cost that much -- at least when compared to a full disk upgrade.

    You will need new levers, as the old cantilever levers are not compatible with v-brakes. You will
    want to go with new cable and housing as well. Only problem I encountered was the difference in
    cable stops (digital camera is broken or I'd show ya). Make sure you check out the cable runs before
    you start tearing down the old stuff. Ask your LBS for a "problem solver" cable stop if you need one
    -- or just look on line, though they may be tougher to find. The XT kit I purchased actually came
    with a decent set of installation instructions. That along with a quick review of the Zinn's book
    was all it took to do it right.

  4. A Muzi

    A Muzi Guest

  5. A shy person asked:

    > Are all brakes bosses the same?

    No.

    > For example, would it be possible to upgrade older cantalever style brakes with newer V-brakes.

    Yes, there's no problem with this.

    Sheldon "From The General To The Specific" Brown
    | It is good to learn from your mistakes; | It is better to learn from the mistakes of others. |