brake cable pulls suspension fork up

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Bicyclette, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Bicyclette

    Bicyclette Guest

    I just installed a suspension fork on my ATB with cantilever center pull brake. The brake cable
    housing ends at the top of the headset on a housing terminating bracket tightened under the stem
    sitting on the steerer tube. Of course before this was no problem, but now when I yank on the brake
    lever with a bit of force the fork moves up due to the suspension.
    1) Is that a problem?
    2) If it is, is there a cable housing ending bracket that can be mounted to the bridge piece on the
    suspension fork itself or is there a different solution?

    Tags:

  2. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "bicyclette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > I just installed a suspension fork on my ATB with cantilever center pull brake. The brake cable
    > housing ends at the top of the headset on a housing terminating bracket tightened under the stem
    > sitting on the steerer tube. Of course before this was no problem, but now when I yank on the
    > brake lever with a bit of force the fork moves up due to the suspension.
    > 1) Is that a problem?

    Absolutely. You must fix it before riding again.

    > 2) If it is, is there a cable housing ending bracket that can be mounted to the bridge piece on
    > the suspension fork itself or is there a different solution?

    There are a few solutions. One is to find a brake cable stop for the fork. These are less common
    nowadays and if you fork doesn't have a brake bridge or if it is not drilled, you may have to drill
    and tap a hole for a stop or use a bolt-through design. You can "upgrade" to v-brakes which don't
    require a stop (this is why the stop no longer appears on forks these days..v-brakes are very
    common). Or you can "upgrade" to disc brakes. Regardless, you need to fix it before riding.

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  3. eddie-<< I just installed a suspension fork on my ATB with cantilever center pull brake. The brake
    cable housing ends at the top of the headset on a housing terminating bracket tightened under the
    stem sitting on the steerer tube >><BR><BR>

    Must have a cable stop on the fork bridge, not the steerer...Tough to find since shimano has driven
    all brakes to the v type. may need to swap to v brakes, as these bolt on thingys are tough to find.

  4. M-Gineering

    M-Gineering Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

    > Must have a cable stop on the fork bridge, not the steerer...Tough to find since shimano has
    > driven all brakes to the v type.

    Come on, you can't blame Shimano for selling what the market wanted. If you're assembling a couple
    hundred bikes a day fitting V-brakes becomes obvious.

    ---
    Marten

  5. Dvt

    Dvt Guest

    bicyclette wrote:

    > I just installed a suspension fork on my ATB with cantilever center pull brake. The brake cable
    > housing ends at the top of the headset on a housing terminating bracket tightened under the stem
    > sitting on the steerer tube. Of course before this was no problem, but now when I yank on the
    > brake lever with a bit of force the fork moves up due to the suspension.
    > 1) Is that a problem?

    Others have told you that it *is* a problem. I'll take a shot at explaining *why.*

    Compress the fork without pulling the brake. Watch the brake arms. See them spread apart? This
    will happen when riding, causing your braking to suffer (or possibly disappear altogether). On the
    rebound, you'll get a little extra braking, probably when you least expect it. Sounds like bad
    news to me.

    --
    Unsuspended Dave dvt at psu dot edu

  6. Bicyclette

    Bicyclette Guest

    > You can "upgrade" to v-brakes which don't require a stop (this is why the stop no longer appears
    > on forks these days..v-brakes are very common).

    Can I stay with Cantilever for the rear? Just upgrade to V on the front?

  7. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "bicyclette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Can I stay with Cantilever for the rear? Just upgrade to V on the front?

    Well, yes and no. The lever is actually different with V-brakes. They have more pull, less leverage,
    than a canti. So you really need to upgrade the lever as well. Which means you'll have 2 different
    levers. If that doesn't bother you, then no big deal.

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  8. From: [email protected] (S.=A0Anderson) : <snip>
    >There are a few solutions. One is to find a brake cable stop for the fork. These are less common
    >nowadays and if you
    >>fork doesn't have a brake bridge or if it
    >is not drilled, you may have to drill and tap a hole for a stop or use a bolt-through design.
    </snip> Cheers, Scott.. I would not recommend drilling.tapping the fork bridge for a cable stop. If
    it doesn't already HAVE a tapped hole, the manufacturer didn't intend for it to be used as a cable
    stop. It therefore may not be strong enough.

    "May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

    Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

  9. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >I would not recommend drilling.tapping the fork bridge for a cable stop. If it doesn't already HAVE
    >a tapped hole, the manufacturer didn't intend for it to be used as a cable stop. It therefore may
    >not be strong enough.

    A good point. And if you did drill it and it broke, they certainly wouldn't accept any liability for
    that. Perhaps the V-brake upgrade is the easiest route.

    Cheers,

    Scott..

  10. Sparetire

    Sparetire Guest

    hi bicyclette,

    there's a taiwanese part that bolts on to the arch of the fork, provided your fork's arch has holes
    for the bolt. should be able to find it thru QBP.

    sc Singapore!!!!!!!!

    "bicyclette" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > I just installed a suspension fork on my ATB with cantilever center pull brake. The brake cable
    > housing ends at the top of the headset on a housing terminating bracket tightened under the stem
    > sitting on the steerer tube. Of course before this was no problem, but now when I yank on the
    > brake lever with a bit of force the fork moves up due to the suspension.
    > 1) Is that a problem?
    > 2) If it is, is there a cable housing ending bracket that can be mounted to the bridge piece on
    > the suspension fork itself or is there a different solution?

  11. Bicyclette

    Bicyclette Guest

    sparetire wrote:
    > hi bicyclette,
    >
    > there's a taiwanese part that bolts on to the arch of the fork, provided your fork's arch has
    > holes for the bolt. should be able to find it thru QBP.
    >
    > sc Singapore!!!!!!!!

    Thanks a million for that! The fork is a Rockshox Judy TT and does have the arch and the hole. The
    arch is pretty solid to mount such a cable stop. Who is QBP?

  12. S. Anderson

    S. Anderson Guest

    "Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message >
    > The 'market' is not the 'manufacturer'. What question did vbrakes answer,
    what
    > problem did they solve for the rider??

    I actually like v-brakes. Cantis were fine too, but the extra leverage is nice. I rode an 80's
    Bridgestone with Shimano cantis on it and after descending for 15 or 20 mins on wet dirt roads, my
    hands were killing me. V-brakes were a lot nicer as far as power goes. Course, the pads wear out in
    minutes in those conditions....it's a good thing I don't go riding in the Alps much these days!!

    Cheers!

    Scott..

  13. S. Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >"Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message >
    >>The 'market' is not the 'manufacturer'. What question did vbrakes answer, what problem did they
    >>solve for the rider??
    >I actually like v-brakes. Cantis were fine too, but the extra leverage is nice. I rode an 80's
    >Bridgestone with Shimano cantis on it and after descending for 15 or 20 mins on wet dirt roads, my
    >hands were killing me.

    They were probably misadjusted; Shimano cantilevers have those fixed-length link cables so that you
    can't adjust them at all without replacing the cable.

    A proper cantilever brake can be adjusted so as to, in conjunction with the correct lever, offer the
    same mechanical advantage as a V-brake. Unlike the V-brake, it can also be adjusted to offer more or
    less mechanical advantage.

  14. Werehatrack

    Werehatrack Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:26:33 -0500, bicyclette <[email protected]> may
    have said:

    >sparetire wrote:
    >> hi bicyclette,
    >>
    >> there's a taiwanese part that bolts on to the arch of the fork, provided your fork's arch has
    >> holes for the bolt. should be able to find it thru QBP.
    >>
    >> sc Singapore!!!!!!!!
    >
    >Thanks a million for that! The fork is a Rockshox Judy TT and does have the arch and the hole. The
    >arch is pretty solid to mount such a cable stop. Who is QBP?

    Quality Bicycle Parts. You can access their catalog indirectly online via www.harriscyclery.com and
    a number of other places. I couldn't find the piece you're looking for in it, though, but I may not
    have been searching in the right place. You might try your lbs first.

    (If I needed one of these, I suspect I'd probably make it myself, but I do that sort of
    thing anyway.)

  15. M-Gineering

    M-Gineering Guest

    Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

    > mgineering<< Come on, you can't blame Shimano for selling what the market wanted. If you're
    > assembling a couple hundred bikes a day fitting V-brakes becomes obvious. >><BR><BR>
    >
    > The 'market' is not the 'manufacturer'.

    a manufacturer who doesn't make what the market wants isn't a manufacturer for long. IIRC Shimano
    had problems first making enough v-brakes as they had planned to sell canti's

    > What question did vbrakes answer, what problem did they solve for the rider??

    leaving the usual hype (new, improved etc) aside

    no cablehangers better -rear-cablerouting on small frames more difficult for the average
    bicyclemechanic to mess up faster fitting less sensitive to dirty cables no nasty rearbrake sticking
    in your heel

    --
    ---
    Marten Gerritsen

    INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL www.m-gineering.nl

  16. Qui si parla Campagnolo hatte geschrieben:
    > Like I said, what question did v brakes answer??

    My '97 Jamis fully with cantilever brakes needs a weird second lever to replace the missing cable
    stop. This works quite nicely, but a v brake will provide the more elegant answer to the special
    design issues of many full suspension bikes.

    best wishes

    Guenther

  17. Bicyclette

    Bicyclette Guest

    > Qui si parla Campagnolo hatte geschrieben:
    >
    >>Like I said, what question did v brakes answer??

    It's all about money ain't a damn thing funny. Du sollst ein paar Jahre in Amerika wohnen Guenther!

  18. Ted Bennett

    Ted Bennett Guest

    bicyclette <[email protected]> wrote:

    > > Qui si parla Campagnolo hatte geschrieben:
    > >
    > >>Like I said, what question did v brakes answer??
    > >

    > It's all about money ain't a damn thing funny. Du sollst ein paar Jahre in Amerika wohnen
    > Guenther!

    Translation, please? Both sentences, as I can't understand either.

    --
    Ted Bennett Portland OR

  19. Sparetire

    Sparetire Guest

    bicyclette,

    if you can't find it at your LBS or anywhere I can get one and mail it to you. should be less than
    $10 for everything.

    sc

    " <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > sparetire wrote:
    > > hi bicyclette,
    > >
    > > there's a taiwanese part that bolts on to the arch of the fork, provided your fork's arch has
    > > holes for the bolt. should be able to find it thru
    QBP.

    > > sc Singapore!!!!!!!!
    >
    > Thanks a million for that! The fork is a Rockshox Judy TT and does have the arch and the hole. The
    > arch is pretty solid to mount such a cable stop. Who is QBP?

  20. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... <snip>

    > >Thanks a million for that! The fork is a Rockshox Judy TT and does have the arch and the hole.
    > >The arch is pretty solid to mount such a cable stop. Who is QBP?
    >
    > Quality Bicycle Parts. You can access their catalog indirectly online via www.harriscyclery.com
    > and a number of other places. I couldn't find the piece you're looking for in it, though, but I
    > may not have been searching in the right place. You might try your lbs first.
    >
    > (If I needed one of these, I suspect I'd probably make it myself, but I do that sort of thing
    > anyway.)

    I think QBP only lists them for RST: http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&Category=1741
    I couldn't find a corresponding listing for Rock Shox. (I'm geeky enough to have the QBP Home
    Edition.) The Rock Shox site is just this side of useless- nothing but Flash and PDF.

    Jeff