brake cable pulls suspension fork up

Go V brakes and your be beter off all the way around.

I MTB 2004

A Muzi wrote:
> After missing RBT for a couple of days, I return to burning ears.

That wasn't the intent. Sorry.

> That phenomenon is regular here - three to five a week which need either extreme measures ( arm
> off bike, un-press the assembly, emery the sleeves, grease and reinstall) or replacement. Most
> days but not every day.

What are the symptoms that prompt a rider to bring the bike in for that treatment? Is this treatment
necessary with both types of pivot discussed in this thread?

The main problem I have is that the brakes don't center as they should. Sometimes one side gets
gooped up more than the other, and sometimes they both get gooped up and the return action is
unpredictable. Either way, I get rubbing brakes.

> I think we would see many more but that most riders park the bike for salt season, for various
> reasons ( kindness to bicycle mechanics isn't one of them)

Yes, this wouldn't be a problem if we were all sane and didn't ride in
snow/slush/cold/rain/whatever.

> The corrosion issue is separate from the resonance/sloppiness aspect. Almost all mid to low price
> linear brake pivots have play we'd call excessive if it were a cantilever or a normal caliper.
> Look at brake arms in a bike showroom, rocking brake arms front to back.

I have only used one set of v-brakes in my life, so I haven't seen that problem. If I decide
(based primarily on this thread) to dig them out of the cellar and try them again, I'll check the
bearings for slop.

--
Dave dvt at psu dot edu

A Muzi wrote:
> After missing RBT for a couple of days, I return to burning ears.

That wasn't the intent. Sorry.

> That phenomenon is regular here - three to five a week which need either extreme measures ( arm
> off bike, un-press the assembly, emery the sleeves, grease and reinstall) or replacement. Most
> days but not every day.

What are the symptoms that prompt a rider to bring the bike in for that treatment? Is this treatment
necessary with both types of pivot discussed in this thread?

The main problem I have is that the brakes don't center as they should. Sometimes one side gets
gooped up more than the other, and sometimes they both get gooped up and the return action is
unpredictable. Either way, I get rubbing brakes.

> I think we would see many more but that most riders park the bike for salt season, for various
> reasons ( kindness to bicycle mechanics isn't one of them)

Yes, this wouldn't be a problem if we were all sane and didn't ride in
snow/slush/cold/rain/whatever.

> The corrosion issue is separate from the resonance/sloppiness aspect. Almost all mid to low price
> linear brake pivots have play we'd call excessive if it were a cantilever or a normal caliper.
> Look at brake arms in a bike showroom, rocking brake arms front to back.

I have only used one set of v-brakes in my life, so I haven't seen that problem. If I decide
(based primarily on this thread) to dig them out of the cellar and try them again, I'll check the
bearings for slop.

--
Dave dvt at psu dot edu

> A Muzi wrote:
>> After missing RBT for a couple of days, I return to burning ears.

dvt wrote:
> That wasn't the intent. Sorry.

(am)>> That phenomenon is regular here - three to five a week which need
>> either extreme measures ( arm off bike, un-press the assembly, emery the sleeves, grease and
>> reinstall) or replacement. Most days but not every day.

(dvt)> What are the symptoms that prompt a rider to bring the bike in for that
> treatment? Is this treatment necessary with both types of pivot discussed in this thread? The main
> problem I have is that the brakes don't center as they should. Sometimes one side gets gooped up
> more than the other, and sometimes they both get gooped up and the return action is unpredictable.
> Either way, I get rubbing brakes.

(am)>> I think we would see many more but that most riders park the bike for
>> salt season, for various reasons ( kindness to bicycle mechanics isn't one of them)

(dvu)> Yes, this wouldn't be a problem if we were all sane and didn't ride in
> snow/slush/cold/rain/whatever.

(am)>> The corrosion issue is separate from the resonance/sloppiness aspect.
>> Almost all mid to low price linear brake pivots have play we'd call excessive if it were a
>> cantilever or a normal caliper. Look at brake arms in a bike showroom, rocking brake arms front
>> to back.

(dvv)> I have only used one set of v-brakes in my life, so I haven't seen that
> problem. If I decide (based primarily on this thread) to dig them out of the cellar and try them
> again, I'll check the bearings for slop.

That was humor . No offense taken. We see them when the brake shoe has worn to the metal or when the
brakes won't release. Your complaint of poor or erratic centering also might go a way with
lubrication. Note the spring end slides on its peg and that interface needs regular oiling. And if
you can separate the pivot assembly enough to polish off the rust and add grease it would return
more smartly.

--
Andrew Muzi www.yellowjersey.org Open every day since 1 April, 1971

A Muzi wrote:
> Your complaint of poor or erratic centering also might go a way with lubrication. Note the spring
> end slides on its peg and that interface needs regular oiling. And if you can separate the pivot
> assembly enough to polish off the rust and add grease it would return more smartly.

Your advice is spot-on, and I know this because I've done it a few times this winter. I find it to
be a pain in the butt, so I'd like to avoid it if there is a better solution.

Maybe I'll try the vees next winter... much of the white stuff has disappeared already.

--
Dave dvt at psu dot edu

Sheldon Brown wrote:

A load of stuff about brakes.

> Sheldon "V" Brown +------------------------------------------------------
> +
>> Why is it that a country with as small a population | as
>> Canada's produces so many excellent musicians? | Some of
>> my favorites include: | Ad Vielle Que Pourra, La Bottine
>> Souriante, | Bob Bossin, Bruce Cockburn, Leonard Cohen,
>> | Glenn Gould, James Keelaghan, Gordon Lightfoot, | Joni
>> Mitchell, Rare Air, Stan & Garnet Rogers, | Ian & Sylvia