brake cable pulls suspension fork up

Bicyclette

Guest
I just installed a suspension fork on my ATB with cantilever center pull brake. The brake cable
housing ends at the top of the headset on a housing terminating bracket tightened under the stem
sitting on the steerer tube. Of course before this was no problem, but now when I yank on the brake
lever with a bit of force the fork moves up due to the suspension.
1) Is that a problem?
2) If it is, is there a cable housing ending bracket that can be mounted to the bridge piece on the
suspension fork itself or is there a different solution?

"bicyclette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I just installed a suspension fork on my ATB with cantilever center pull brake. The brake cable
> housing ends at the top of the headset on a housing terminating bracket tightened under the stem
> sitting on the steerer tube. Of course before this was no problem, but now when I yank on the
> brake lever with a bit of force the fork moves up due to the suspension.
> 1) Is that a problem?

Absolutely. You must fix it before riding again.

> 2) If it is, is there a cable housing ending bracket that can be mounted to the bridge piece on
> the suspension fork itself or is there a different solution?

There are a few solutions. One is to find a brake cable stop for the fork. These are less common
nowadays and if you fork doesn't have a brake bridge or if it is not drilled, you may have to drill
and tap a hole for a stop or use a bolt-through design. You can "upgrade" to v-brakes which don't
require a stop (this is why the stop no longer appears on forks these days..v-brakes are very
common). Or you can "upgrade" to disc brakes. Regardless, you need to fix it before riding.

Cheers,

Scott..

eddie-<< I just installed a suspension fork on my ATB with cantilever center pull brake. The brake
cable housing ends at the top of the headset on a housing terminating bracket tightened under the
stem sitting on the steerer tube >><BR><BR>

Must have a cable stop on the fork bridge, not the steerer...Tough to find since shimano has driven
all brakes to the v type. may need to swap to v brakes, as these bolt on thingys are tough to find.

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> Must have a cable stop on the fork bridge, not the steerer...Tough to find since shimano has
> driven all brakes to the v type.

Come on, you can't blame Shimano for selling what the market wanted. If you're assembling a couple
hundred bikes a day fitting V-brakes becomes obvious.

---
Marten

bicyclette wrote:

> I just installed a suspension fork on my ATB with cantilever center pull brake. The brake cable
> housing ends at the top of the headset on a housing terminating bracket tightened under the stem
> sitting on the steerer tube. Of course before this was no problem, but now when I yank on the
> brake lever with a bit of force the fork moves up due to the suspension.
> 1) Is that a problem?

Others have told you that it *is* a problem. I'll take a shot at explaining *why.*

Compress the fork without pulling the brake. Watch the brake arms. See them spread apart? This
will happen when riding, causing your braking to suffer (or possibly disappear altogether). On the
rebound, you'll get a little extra braking, probably when you least expect it. Sounds like bad
news to me.

--
Unsuspended Dave dvt at psu dot edu

> You can "upgrade" to v-brakes which don't require a stop (this is why the stop no longer appears
> on forks these days..v-brakes are very common).

Can I stay with Cantilever for the rear? Just upgrade to V on the front?

"bicyclette" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Can I stay with Cantilever for the rear? Just upgrade to V on the front?

Well, yes and no. The lever is actually different with V-brakes. They have more pull, less leverage,
than a canti. So you really need to upgrade the lever as well. Which means you'll have 2 different
levers. If that doesn't bother you, then no big deal.

Cheers,

Scott..

From: [email protected] (S.=A0Anderson) : <snip>
>There are a few solutions. One is to find a brake cable stop for the fork. These are less common
>nowadays and if you
>>fork doesn't have a brake bridge or if it
>is not drilled, you may have to drill and tap a hole for a stop or use a bolt-through design.
</snip> Cheers, Scott.. I would not recommend drilling.tapping the fork bridge for a cable stop. If
it doesn't already HAVE a tapped hole, the manufacturer didn't intend for it to be used as a cable
stop. It therefore may not be strong enough.

"May you have the wind at your back. And a really low gear for the hills!"

Chris'Z Corner http://www.geocities.com/czcorner

"Chris Zacho "The Wheelman"" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>I would not recommend drilling.tapping the fork bridge for a cable stop. If it doesn't already HAVE
>a tapped hole, the manufacturer didn't intend for it to be used as a cable stop. It therefore may
>not be strong enough.

A good point. And if you did drill it and it broke, they certainly wouldn't accept any liability for
that. Perhaps the V-brake upgrade is the easiest route.

Cheers,

Scott..

hi bicyclette,

there's a taiwanese part that bolts on to the arch of the fork, provided your fork's arch has holes
for the bolt. should be able to find it thru QBP.

sc Singapore!!!!!!!!

sparetire wrote:
> hi bicyclette,
>
> there's a taiwanese part that bolts on to the arch of the fork, provided your fork's arch has
> holes for the bolt. should be able to find it thru QBP.
>
> sc Singapore!!!!!!!!

Thanks a million for that! The fork is a Rockshox Judy TT and does have the arch and the hole. The
arch is pretty solid to mount such a cable stop. Who is QBP?

"Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message >
> The 'market' is not the 'manufacturer'. What question did vbrakes answer,
what
> problem did they solve for the rider??

I actually like v-brakes. Cantis were fine too, but the extra leverage is nice. I rode an 80's
Bridgestone with Shimano cantis on it and after descending for 15 or 20 mins on wet dirt roads, my
hands were killing me. V-brakes were a lot nicer as far as power goes. Course, the pads wear out in
minutes in those conditions....it's a good thing I don't go riding in the Alps much these days!!

Cheers!

Scott..

S. Anderson <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Qui si parla Campagnolo " <[email protected]> wrote in message >
>>The 'market' is not the 'manufacturer'. What question did vbrakes answer, what problem did they
>>solve for the rider??
>I actually like v-brakes. Cantis were fine too, but the extra leverage is nice. I rode an 80's
>Bridgestone with Shimano cantis on it and after descending for 15 or 20 mins on wet dirt roads, my
>hands were killing me.

They were probably misadjusted; Shimano cantilevers have those fixed-length link cables so that you
can't adjust them at all without replacing the cable.

A proper cantilever brake can be adjusted so as to, in conjunction with the correct lever, offer the
same mechanical advantage as a V-brake. Unlike the V-brake, it can also be adjusted to offer more or
less mechanical advantage.

On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 07:26:33 -0500, bicyclette <[email protected]> may
have said:

>sparetire wrote:
>> hi bicyclette,
>>
>> there's a taiwanese part that bolts on to the arch of the fork, provided your fork's arch has
>> holes for the bolt. should be able to find it thru QBP.
>>
>> sc Singapore!!!!!!!!
>
>Thanks a million for that! The fork is a Rockshox Judy TT and does have the arch and the hole. The
>arch is pretty solid to mount such a cable stop. Who is QBP?

Quality Bicycle Parts. You can access their catalog indirectly online via www.harriscyclery.com and
a number of other places. I couldn't find the piece you're looking for in it, though, but I may not
have been searching in the right place. You might try your lbs first.

(If I needed one of these, I suspect I'd probably make it myself, but I do that sort of
thing anyway.)

Qui si parla Campagnolo wrote:

> mgineering<< Come on, you can't blame Shimano for selling what the market wanted. If you're
> assembling a couple hundred bikes a day fitting V-brakes becomes obvious. >><BR><BR>
>
> The 'market' is not the 'manufacturer'.

a manufacturer who doesn't make what the market wants isn't a manufacturer for long. IIRC Shimano
had problems first making enough v-brakes as they had planned to sell canti's

> What question did vbrakes answer, what problem did they solve for the rider??

leaving the usual hype (new, improved etc) aside

no cablehangers better -rear-cablerouting on small frames more difficult for the average
bicyclemechanic to mess up faster fitting less sensitive to dirty cables no nasty rearbrake sticking
in your heel

--
---
Marten Gerritsen

INFOapestaartjeM-GINEERINGpuntNL www.m-gineering.nl

Qui si parla Campagnolo hatte geschrieben:
> Like I said, what question did v brakes answer??

My '97 Jamis fully with cantilever brakes needs a weird second lever to replace the missing cable
stop. This works quite nicely, but a v brake will provide the more elegant answer to the special
design issues of many full suspension bikes.

best wishes

Guenther

> Qui si parla Campagnolo hatte geschrieben:
>
>>Like I said, what question did v brakes answer??

It's all about money ain't a damn thing funny. Du sollst ein paar Jahre in Amerika wohnen Guenther!

bicyclette <[email protected]> wrote:

> > Qui si parla Campagnolo hatte geschrieben:
> >
> >>Like I said, what question did v brakes answer??
> >

> It's all about money ain't a damn thing funny. Du sollst ein paar Jahre in Amerika wohnen
> Guenther!

Translation, please? Both sentences, as I can't understand either.

--
Ted Bennett Portland OR

bicyclette,

if you can't find it at your LBS or anywhere I can get one and mail it to you. should be less than
$10 for everything.

sc

" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> sparetire wrote:
> > hi bicyclette,
> >
> > there's a taiwanese part that bolts on to the arch of the fork, provided your fork's arch has
> > holes for the bolt. should be able to find it thru
QBP.

> > sc Singapore!!!!!!!!
>
> Thanks a million for that! The fork is a Rockshox Judy TT and does have the arch and the hole. The
> arch is pretty solid to mount such a cable stop. Who is QBP?

Werehatrack <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>... <snip>

> >Thanks a million for that! The fork is a Rockshox Judy TT and does have the arch and the hole.
> >The arch is pretty solid to mount such a cable stop. Who is QBP?
>
> Quality Bicycle Parts. You can access their catalog indirectly online via www.harriscyclery.com
> and a number of other places. I couldn't find the piece you're looking for in it, though, but I
> may not have been searching in the right place. You might try your lbs first.
>
> (If I needed one of these, I suspect I'd probably make it myself, but I do that sort of thing
> anyway.)

I think QBP only lists them for RST: http://harriscyclery.net/site/page.cfm?PageID=49&Category=1741
I couldn't find a corresponding listing for Rock Shox. (I'm geeky enough to have the QBP Home
Edition.) The Rock Shox site is just this side of useless- nothing but Flash and PDF.

Jeff