brake cable replacement

chasbwdc

Aug 26, 2008
i need to replace the front brake cable on my Giant road bike,. The cable runs under the bar tape. is it possible to snake the new cable through the cable housing without removing the bar tape?:eek:

chasbwdc said:
i need to replace the front brake cable on my Giant road bike,. The cable runs under the bar tape. is it possible to snake the new cable through the cable housing without removing the bar tape?:eek:
Yes ...

But, you will want/need to remove the brake lever(s) from the handlebars ... feed the new cable through the handle AND then into exposed end of the housing that is poking out beyond the handlebar wrap ... slide the cable in until it exits out the other end of the housing ... then, as you continue to pull the cable all the way through you will be bringing the lever back to the handlebar ... then, attach the lever to its clamp and then finish snugging up the cable.

Hi there just changed mine yesterday and you should be abble to do it with out remouving the brake lever ... but you will need to losen the gear cable to push your lever further possible ... take a look how you can do it on shiman web site ....

shimano web site

chasbwdc said:

Should be. NO need to remove anything from the handlebars, the levers or the tape. If it won't snake thru, then take the tape off. Never necessary to take the levers off to install a brake cable.

Just did this today for both front and rear brake cables on my cross bike. Didn't remove anything. Have D/A 9-spd shifters. Trick was to fully open the shifter, applying a bit of sideways pressure to get extra clearance. The new cables threaded easily into the existing cable housing under the bar tape.

I've done it and as said by others no need to remove anything.
I understand your concern, I rather change deraileurs, cranks, bottom brackets etc than having to take the bar tape off:eek: I don't know about everyone else but that is one task I hate! My older bike has the bar tape worn by use and I'm to lazy to fix it!