Brake caliper bolt too long

artemidorus

Mar 10, 2004
The bolt on my front brake caliper is 4-5mm too long for my new fork. Can I get a longer recessed nut, or should I reach for the hacksaw? (I don't have a vice, so sawing steel things is a PITA, not to mention cleaning up the traumatised thread so that I can put the nut back on.)

artemidorus said:
The bolt on my front brake caliper is 4-5mm too long for my new fork. Can I get a longer recessed nut, or should I reach for the hacksaw? (I don't have a vice, so sawing steel things is a PITA, not to mention cleaning up the traumatised thread so that I can put the nut back on.)
I don't know of anyone who sells special length recessed nuts. You might ask your LBS if there is any way they can order one for you. A machine shop could make one for you but it may cost more than you'll want to pay.

If you can find washers that are the right inside diameter, you could grind the OD to fit. 4-5mm would only take one or two washers.

If you can borrow or buy a Dremel Tool, or any one of the other rotary tools, you can cut the bolt with it using a cut-off disc. Just thread a standard hex nut on the bolt before you cut it off. After you have cut it off, dress the end with a file, and then remove the nut to clean up the thread.

Good Luck:) !

Take your long nut to the LBS and swap it for a short one. :)

I keep both lengths in stock... :p

One further question for the cognoscenti - with carbon forks, do I need a nut with an external flange to engage the outside of the bolthole, such as the bolts shown in the above linked page seem to have? My current nut disappears entirely within the bolt channel.

artemidorus said:
One further question for the cognoscenti - with carbon forks, do I need a nut with an external flange to engage the outside of the bolthole, such as the bolts shown in the above linked page seem to have? My current nut disappears entirely within the bolt channel.

All my nuts have been like that, with flanges that is.

alienator said:
All my nuts have been like that, with flanges that is.
Thanks, this means that it's not my bolt that's too long, but rather that my nut is too short and of the wrong type.

artemidorus said:
Thanks, this means that it's not my bolt that's too long, but rather that my nut is too short and of the wrong type.

It's not the length but how you use it. I wouldn't be self-conscious about it iffin' I were you.

alienator said:
It's not the length but how you use it. I wouldn't be self-conscious about it iffin' I were you.
After sending my last post, I noticed that there were several ways of reading it... ;)

artemidorus said:
I can't envision a front brake bolt being TOO LONG (okay, there is the exception if you are retrofitting an OLDER brake caliper), but if that is truly the case then the EASIEST solution is to add a "washer"/spacer ("locking" OR plain OR both) to bump the front brake caliper away from the front of your fork.

Don't trade your longer bolt for a shorter one! SAVE your long(er) recessed nut(s) in your tool box [I have at least three different lengths] ... the longer recessed nuts used to cost $7.00US a half dozen years ago (i.e., MORE than a normal recessed bolt costs).

The longest recessed nuts can generally be used to mount a rear caliper as a front brake (not an ideal installation, but useable).

alfeng said:
I can't envision a front brake bolt being TOO LONG (okay, there is the exception if you are retrofitting an OLDER brake caliper), but if that is truly the case then the EASIEST solution is to add a "washer"/spacer ("locking" OR plain OR both) to bump the front brake caliper away from the front of your fork.

Don't trade your longer bolt for a shorter one! SAVE your long(er) recessed nut(s) in your tool box [I have at least three different lengths] ... the longer recessed nuts used to cost $7.00US a half dozen years ago (i.e., MORE than a normal recessed bolt costs).

The longest recessed nuts can generally be used to mount a rear caliper as a front brake (not an ideal installation, but useable).
Once again you have come up with the most reasonable solution of them all!