Brake caliper upgrade

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Gareth Thomas, Jan 22, 2003.

  1. Hi there,

    I bought a pair of Shimano 105 calipers to replace the previous single-pivot calipers on my old
    Trek, and have a question. The previous front brake had a dished washer that sat between the caliper
    and the fork steerer, I guess this was fitted to counter the curved surface of the steerer tube.
    When I first fitted the caliper I transfer this washer over, but only got about 4 turns of the
    retaining nut, which I figured was probably not enough. So I removed the washer and got around 8
    turns, which I feel a lot happier with, and a test ride using fairly heavy braking showed everything
    seemed to be in order.

    Does anyone know the purpose of this washer, will I run into problems not having it or is the
    trade-off in a greater thread area worth having?

    Thanks in advance.

    Tags:

  2. Gareth Thomas wrote:

    > I bought a pair of Shimano 105 calipers to replace the previous single-pivot calipers on my old
    > Trek, and have a question. The previous front brake had a dished washer that sat between the
    > caliper and the fork steerer, I guess this was fitted to counter the curved surface of the steerer
    > tube. When I first fitted the caliper I transfer this washer over, but only got about 4 turns of
    > the retaining nut, which I figured was probably not enough. So I removed the washer and got around
    > 8 turns, which I feel a lot happier with, and a test ride using fairly heavy braking showed
    > everything seemed to be in order.
    >
    > Does anyone know the purpose of this washer,

    It is, as you surmised, to make a nicer fit on the front of a curved fork crown.

    > will I run into problems not having it

    No.

    > or is the trade-off in a greater thread area worth having?

    Yep. You did just right.

    | All the world's a stage and most of us | are desperately unrehearsed. | --Sean O'Casey |
    +--------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone