Brake calipers - 105 vs. ultegra

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by badkarma, Oct 26, 2005.

1. badkarma

badkarma New Member

I have Tektro RX40 brake calipers currently on my bike and they suck big floppy donkey d1ck, so I'm planning on replacing them soon. Initially, I was going to put ultegra calipers on, but after looking at the 105s I'm not sure. The 105s are practically half the price of ultegra, and only 30g. heavier. Is there a decent performance difference between the two? Essentially, for the money, which is the better brake?

Tags:

2. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Look at the pads, their construction and adjustment. :cool: Faced with the same decision I went for Promax RC451F & R at less than half the price of Ultegra.

3. John M

John M New Member

105 brakes are a great value.

4. capwater

capwater New Member

I've got 105s, Ultegras and DAs. They all stop just fine. 105 is the sleeper in the Shimano line. It doesn't have a fancy Italian name like the other 4 groups has, but it is certainly a great deal in terms of price and performance. Lots of folks race with that component group to great results. You can pick up 105 calibers for around 60 bucks mail order. I recently built a bike up and picked 105 not only for it's value, but I liked the fact that it comes in a black finish (looks hot on a slate gray frame). Properly adjust 105 will blow the pants off poorly adjusted DA everytime. Most people complain about needing to upgrade could do well with a tuneup first.

5. frenk

frenk New Member

Just a side note: Dura-Ace, Ultegra, Tiagra, Sora... defitinely not italian words :D

6. tcklyde

tcklyde New Member

105 calipers are black, ultegra is silver.

Everyone knows that black is faster than silver.

7. gclark8

gclark8 New Member

Wrong!!!

Ask any Italian, RED is faster than Black!!

8. JTE83

JTE83 Member

I have Tektro, 105, Ultegra 6800, and 7800 brakes and they all feel the same. The Tektros are fine.

9. Hypnospin

Hypnospin New Member

my experience, descending the 20%+ 50mph+ grades around here, even the d/a's get tested big time, and i tried 105's took 'em off never to be used again, the flex was so noticable as to make hard braking dubious at best.
    maybe for the flats they would be ok...
    as for brake shoes, i use the older style shimano without the removable insert, these have better stopping power than the d/a. these are the one piece molded versions, sold as shimano 600 brake shoes. you might be suprised at the diff they can make even with your
    shmektros.
    i would not use the ultegra pads with the shoe/inserts as they melt and leave residue on the rims.

10. capwater

capwater New Member

You mean Shimano isn't an Italian company???!!! All these years of deception and false ancestral pride just because the name ends in a vowel. What next to reveal? Hagan Daz ice cream is made in the US???

11. oneradtec

oneradtec New Member

Shimano is a Japanese company.

105 brakes would be a very practical upgrade. Anything more and the law of decreasing returns kicks in.

12. capwater

capwater New Member

No kidding, you really need to look up sarcasm in the dictionary...

13. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

105 work fine but dump the pads - coolstop front and something cheap and soft at the rear as with coolstop the rear is , perhaps too good .
    replace the front pad carriers but you can keep the rear - though cheap pads usually come with better carriers than the standard shimano pads though they fit the shimano carriers : weird world ain´t it .

14. frenk

frenk New Member

Maybe you forgot what you wrote:

but "the other 4 groups" don't have italian names.
    Am I missing something? :confused:

15. badkarma

badkarma New Member

Thanks all for the input. I'm currently leaning towards 105. I had some tektros (not sure on the model number) on my training bike and they stop so much better than the tektro RX-40s I have on my racing bike. I was thinking, does anyone know if American Classic (350sprints) have poor braking surfaces on the rims - I'm just curious if that could be the culprit rather than the brakes. Thanks!

16. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

Why don't you like the pad carriers?

17. el Ingles

el Ingles New Member

because the after market ones are better made and even the cheap ones are more compatible with all levels of replacement - including shimano , weird isn´t it .

18. artemidorus

artemidorus New Member

You can get good after market ones to fit the Shimano pad carriers - I've got some on at the moment.

19. SilentShifter

SilentShifter New Member

I recently (about 3 weeks now) switched from 105 calipers to Ultegra calipers. First and foremost the Ultegra pads wear much slower. The braking power itself is stronger and feels smoother. It seems as though I can stop much faster with more control than on 105 calipers.

Overall they are a 'tighter' feeling brake that doesn't wear as fast and stops better than 105.

Do a yahoo shopping search and ebay search, you should be able to find the calipers for less than $80.

If you have the money, go for it they are great.

*I am selling my 2005 105 brakes for real cheap in the classified section, they only have 132 miles on them and work flawlessly*