Brake calipers and zipp wheels

Kinch

Mar 28, 2015
I'm using Zipp 303's and Shimano Ultegra brake calipers. I've just installed SwissStop pads, and only have barely enough room between the pad and the rim when the calipers are wide open.

Is this an idiosyncrasy I have to live with, or have I done something wrong? It seems to me that the Zipp's are wider than what Shimano anticipated.

I'm using Zipp 303's and Shimano Ultegra brake calipers. I've just installed SwissStop pads, and only have barely enough room between the pad and the rim when the calipers are wide open.

Is this an idiosyncrasy I have to live with, or have I done something wrong? It seems to me that the Zipp's are wider than what Shimano anticipated.
I’m not sure I understand what you mean. Will they only fit if you leave the quick-release disengaged, or is it enough to slacken the wire at the clamp at the brake?
Having to reset the wire when switching wheels is quite common.

Rims come in a variety of rim widths.

My rims are 19mm wide, so if I got a rim that was 25mm wide, naturally it would be a tighter fit.

Capture1.JPG

So either you have to loosen the bolt and allow the cable to slide through for a bit more slack (widen the brake pad to pad opening) or turn the barrel if you have one. I have a set of calipers with a barrel adjuster. Makes it much easier to open and close the gap.

If you can not turn the barrel enough to open to the correct spacing, then you have to loosen the bolt and loosen the cable, then tighten at the correct tension.

Capture2.JPG