Brake check, maintenance! SOS

redbeach6506

Jul 14, 2005
Hi,
I recently bought my first road bike and love riding it.
I usually ride 3 times a week and about 100-120 miles total.
The problem occurred not long after I began to ride, I noticed the rear brake off balance and the pad was touching the rear wheel.

After some adjustments at the bike shop, it happened again.
I took the bike to the shop and the mechanic said it happens all the time.
He said it happens each time he rides his EXPANSIVE bike.

I am new to road bike and know little about equipments.
It is hard to believe brake gets off balance each time you ride.
What would cause this problem and how do I fix it?
Or is the bike shop mechanic right and I have to adjust it constantly?

I would appreciate any advice on this
Thanks

Your mechanic is a hack. This is not something you should just have to live with. If the bolt attaching the brake caliper to the frame is already pretty tight and this is still happening, take off the caliper and put a bigger star washer between the caliper and the frame. $0.05 at the local hardware store and you can do it yourself.

I definitely hope your mechanic is not charging you for this either. If he is, it is time to find a new bike shop to go to. Once adjusted, the only movement of your brakes should be when you squeeze the brake levers. Follow art's advice, and if you are new to bike maintenance check out the repairs section over at www.parktool.com. There are also several maintenance books out there that are good--Park Tool makes one that is supposedly pretty good (probably similar to whats online), and the other one that I have found is good is Zinn and the Art of Road Bike Maintenance by Lennard Zinn (he also has a column over at www.velonews.com). Good luck!!

Just returned from a trip and read your note.
Thank your very much for your advice.
Steven

artmichalek said:
Your mechanic is a hack. This is not something you should just have to live with. If the bolt attaching the brake caliper to the frame is already pretty tight and this is still happening, take off the caliper and put a bigger star washer between the caliper and the frame. $0.05 at the local hardware store and you can do it yourself.