"JG" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:Whoops, that should have been, "a one tenth of one percent change in a
meter of cable/housing translates into 4mm+ of slop"...Jobst, why would you "take" something I haven't said? is it what you
want to hear? What I wrote was "cable/housing". Whether its housing
compression, or housing seating, or cable unkinking, or cable
stretching, the point is simply that it takes a rather small amount to
have a noticable effect because of the 4:1 multiplier.
Jobst is trying to be exact I suppose but that's what tends to irritate
normal people who assume that there are normal errors in descriptions.
Quoted message said:I "take" cable stretch to usually mean non-elastic
elongation - and accept that it is a real result of a number of
factors not including meaningful physical elongation of the cable
itself, which are a product of industry bike setup practices. As for
the cable's contribution to the overall elasticity of the braking
system, it's all bs until someone pulls out the micrometer...
You and I have more or less the same take on it. Absolute precision in
writing and meaning isn't really part of the internet experience.