Brake install question

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by T. Taylor, May 30, 2003.

  1. T. Taylor

    T. Taylor Guest

    When installing a Shimano Ultegra 6500 front caliper, do I use the thin spacer (2mm), the thick
    spacer (4mm), or both on the mounting bolt? The instuctions don't indicate and I don't have another
    bike for reference.

    The frame's headtube is one inch steel and the fork blades are steel, so clearance for the brake
    pads is fine with just the thin spacer (if this makes a difference).

    Thanks, Taz

    Tags:

  2. T. Taylor wrote:
    > When installing a Shimano Ultegra 6500 front caliper, do I use the thin spacer (2mm), the thick
    > spacer (4mm), or both on the mounting bolt? The instuctions don't indicate and I don't have
    > another bike for reference.
    >
    > The frame's headtube is one inch steel and the fork blades are steel, so clearance for the brake
    > pads is fine with just the thin spacer (if this makes a difference).

    Yes, that's the difference. The thick spacers are for solving clearance problems. If you don't have
    clearance problems, don't use any more spacers than you need.

    | Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again. | --Robert A. Heinlein |