Brake install question

T. Taylor

Guest
When installing a Shimano Ultegra 6500 front caliper, do I use the thin spacer (2mm), the thick
spacer (4mm), or both on the mounting bolt? The instuctions don't indicate and I don't have another
bike for reference.

The frame's headtube is one inch steel and the fork blades are steel, so clearance for the brake
pads is fine with just the thin spacer (if this makes a difference).

Thanks, Taz

T. Taylor wrote:
> When installing a Shimano Ultegra 6500 front caliper, do I use the thin spacer (2mm), the thick
> spacer (4mm), or both on the mounting bolt? The instuctions don't indicate and I don't have
> another bike for reference.
>
> The frame's headtube is one inch steel and the fork blades are steel, so clearance for the brake
> pads is fine with just the thin spacer (if this makes a difference).

Yes, that's the difference. The thick spacers are for solving clearance problems. If you don't have
clearance problems, don't use any more spacers than you need.

| Yield to temptation. It may not pass your way again. | --Robert A. Heinlein |