Brake install question

Jeff

Guest
Hello all,

I'm about to install a pair of zero gravity brake calipers to a carbon fiber
fork.

I'm wondering if there are any recommendations from the manufacturers or
others about how much clearance to leave between the rear of the
brake-pads/pad-holders and the front sides of the fork. If I don't put in a
washer behind the brake stud, the brake would hit the fork if it were
rotated. With a single star washer, I'll get about 1mm or so clearance. When
I bought the fork, it had two star washers stuck to it, apparently to
increase this clearance for the old owner.

Does any of this matter?

Thanks in advance,

Jeff

Jeff wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm about to install a pair of zero gravity brake calipers to a carbon
> fiber fork.
>
> I'm wondering if there are any recommendations from the manufacturers or
> others about how much clearance to leave between the rear of the
> brake-pads/pad-holders and the front sides of the fork. If I don't put
> in a washer behind the brake stud, the brake would hit the fork if it
> were rotated. With a single star washer, I'll get about 1mm or so
> clearance. When I bought the fork, it had two star washers stuck to it,
> apparently to increase this clearance for the old owner.
>
> Does any of this matter?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jeff

you don't need to rotate the brake, so as long as the pads clear the
fork in use, that's all the clearance you need.

On Oct 1, 6:58 pm, "Jeff" <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'm about to install a pair of zero gravity brake calipers to a carbon fiber
> fork.
>
> I'm wondering if there are any recommendations from the manufacturers or
> others about how much clearance to leave between the rear of the
> brake-pads/pad-holders and the front sides of the fork. If I don't put in a
> washer behind the brake stud, the brake would hit the fork if it were
> rotated. With a single star washer, I'll get about 1mm or so clearance. When
> I bought the fork, it had two star washers stuck to it, apparently to
> increase this clearance for the old owner.

Use one star washer, so that the pad/holder doesn't hit the fork. I
use star washers will all these brakes, in spite of what ZeroGrav
says, to help keep these centered..since they don't w/o the star nut.

> Does any of this matter?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Jeff

"Qui si parla Campagnolo-www.vecchios.com" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:[email protected]...
> Use one star washer, so that the pad/holder doesn't hit the fork. I
> use star washers will all these brakes, in spite of what ZeroGrav
> says, to help keep these centered..since they don't w/o the star nut.

From what I've seen so far, this looks like good advice. The things just
don't seem quite tight or steady without the washers, and the brakes put too
much pressure on the wrong parts of the front fork when tightening without
the washer (it puts pressure on a small part of the fork outside of the
indent where the washer was intended to fit, rather than the larger flat
surface of the indent).

....will do as you suggest.

Thanks

Jeff