Brake lever for Drop bars - top mount

seriouslysilly

Oct 29, 2006
Hello, I'm very new to the whole road/cyclocross/hybrid bikes.

I currently have a road bike which I want to add a bar top brake lever so that it will be easier to brake.

My bar is the Easton EA50
easton_ea50_drop_06_bar.jpg

• Clamp diameter: 26.0 & 31.8mm.
• Widths: 40, 42, 44cm center to center

I'm actually deciding between the
- Salsa
- Cane Creek
- TRP CL956
- Tektro 3.0 or 3.1

So sorry for the new question, but where exactly do I clamp these levers on my bar? Should I get one for the 26.0mm or 31.8mm?

Thanks!

I've been through this thought process and after research and feedback from many knowledgable people, I dropped the idea. Bottomline, it's not a very efficient method and makes the whole setup rather cumbersome.

Either you go with a flat bar setup or if you have a drop bar, learn to use the hood position better.

Actually you can apparently buy those types of brakes. They look like smaller levers but are apparently specifically made for cyclocross bikes. You can even have a setup with both types of brakes (ie the top bar style and the STIs). There is a 'splitter' allowing the cable to run to both brake levers. I can't remember the name of them but one of the guys from City Bike Depot in Kent St Sydney showed me a couple of cyclocross bikes with this setup. I'll try and get the details the next time i'm down there or otherwise you could contact them. Here's a link to their website -

http://www.citybikedepot.com.au/