brake lever help!

Alex Graham

Guest
Hi,

For my cheapo fixed bike, I need to buy some brake levers, and am faced with the choice between
Shimano Exage 300EX (12.99GBP) or Shimano BL-R400 Super SLR aero. The R400s look a bit nicer, but
are they worth the extra 7 quid?

And what does SLR mean? And why are some levers 'aero' and some not?

Help would be greatly appreciated!

-Alex

--
----------------------+ Alex Graham | [email protected] | ----------------------+

Alex Graham wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For my cheapo fixed bike, I need to buy some brake levers, and am faced with the choice between
> Shimano Exage 300EX (12.99GBP) or Shimano BL-R400 Super SLR aero. The R400s look a bit nicer, but
> are they worth the extra 7 quid?

The BL-R400s, a.k.a. "Tiagra" are the finest drop-bar brake levers ever made. The Exage units are
slightly cheesier, but also pretty good. I thinkthe Exage units have a quic-release built into the
lever, which is a good thing, but not essential.

> And what does SLR mean?

"Shimano Linear Response." In plain English, it is Shimano buzzwords for brake levers that include a
return spring.

And why are some levers 'aero' and some not?

Actually, both of these questions and many more are answered by my online Bicycle Glossary. Check it
out at http://sheldonbrown.com/glossary

Here's the entry on "Aero" brake levers:

"Æro brake levers

"Refers to brake levers made for drop handlebars. Older designs had the cables exit up from the
front of the brake levers, arching over the handlebars. The newer style, where the cable exits out
the back of the lever and runs under the handlebar tape is referred to as "æro" because it
eliminates the wind drag of the exposed cables.

"Æro levers are generally an improvement over the older type. The pivots are located differently,
making it possible to get fairly serious braking from the position where the rider's hand is on
top of the lever hood. Non-æro levers would permit the use of this position for gentle
deceleration only.

"Æro brake levers usually have more mechanical advantage, which is good in general, but may cause
problems when they are used with cantilever or drum brakes that require more cable than
conventional calipers.

In France, exposed brake cables remained popular longer than elsewhere, because French cylcists
sometimes like to transport baguettes home from the boulangerie by resting them crosswise across the
brake hoods. The cables help hold the loaves in position."

Sheldon "Cyclexicographer" Brown +----------------------------------------------------------+
| Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when | they do it from religious conviction. --
| Blaise Pascal |
+----------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton,

Cool - pretty good value then. So are the R600 levers not much better than R400 despite being more
expensive?

Im using them with cantilever brakes which have a QR type thing already so Ill probably go for
the R400s!

Thanks,

-Alex

--

Alex Graham wrote:

> Cool - pretty good value then. So are the R600 levers not much better than R400 despite being more
> expensive?

The plastic trim piece on the R600 levers is black; on the R400s, it's gray.

I haven't seen any other difference aside from the price.

Sheldon "I Can Live With Gray, Matches My Beard" Brown +-------------------------------+
| It's never too late to have | a happy childhood | --Jacek Rudowski |
+-------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts Phone 617-244-9772 FAX
617-244-1041 http://harriscyclery.com Hard-to-find parts shipped Worldwide http://captainbike.com
http://sheldonbrown.com

SLR is Shimano Linear Response- marketing speak for "there's a little return spring in the lever."

"non-aero" brake levers route the brake cable through the top of the lever. Heck, Eddy Merckx won
five Tour de Frances on non-aero levers- is that good enough for ya? :cool:

Both of the Shimano levers you mention are "aero": the brake cable along the handlebar. I can't see
where the more expensive levers would make a difference to you.

Jeff

news:<[email protected]>...

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 13:33:31 -0500, Alex Graham wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For my cheapo fixed bike, I need to buy some brake levers, and am faced with the choice between
> Shimano Exage 300EX (12.99GBP) or Shimano BL-R400 Super SLR aero. The R400s look a bit nicer, but
> are they worth the extra 7 quid?
>
> And what does SLR mean? And why are some levers 'aero' and some not?
>
> Help would be greatly appreciated!

I agree with Sheldon Brown's assessment that the Shimano aero brake levers are the best, most
comfortable brake levers ever put on a bicycle. They fit my hands as though Shimano borrowed them
while they were designing the levers. Simply perfect. I know the BL-R400s are that shape; I know
nothing of the Exage's. AFAIK the only current non-brifter aero brake levers Shimano is selling are
the 400s and the Dura Ace version, which are identical except for trim color.

Sheldon Brown wrote:

> In France, exposed brake cables remained popular longer than elsewhere, because French cylcists
> sometimes like to transport baguettes home from the boulangerie by resting them crosswise across
> the brake hoods. The cables help hold the loaves in position."

Now that's just silly.

However, I can report that the top of a Profile aero bar is an excellent place to carry a take-out
order of pierogi. One bungee cord is all it takes. ;-)

--
Frank Krygowski [email protected]

"Sheldon Brown" <[email protected]> wrote:

> "Æro levers are generally an improvement over the older type. The pivots are located differently,
> making it possible to get fairly serious braking from the position where the rider's hand is on
> top of the lever hood. Non-æro levers would permit the use of this position for gentle
> deceleration only.
>
> "Æro brake levers usually have more mechanical advantage, which is good in general, but may cause
> problems when they are used with cantilever or drum brakes that require more cable than
> conventional calipers.

So what would happen if one were to use 1980-style Dia-Compe non-aero levers with v-brakes? Would
the brakes work? Would the released brakes stay far enough from the rims?

Regards,

--
Michel Gagnon -- Montréal (Québec, Canada) mailto:[email protected]

An excerpt from my Bicycle Glossary:

>>"Æro levers are generally an improvement over the older type. The pivots are located differently,
>>making it possible to get fairly serious braking from the position where the rider's hand is on
>>top of the lever hood. Non-æro levers would permit the use of this position for gentle
>>deceleration only.
>>
>>"Æro brake levers usually have more mechanical advantage, which is good in general, but may cause
>>problems when they are used with cantilever or drum brakes that require more cable than
>>conventional calipers.

Michel Gagnon a demandé

> So what would happen if one were to use 1980-style Dia-Compe non-aero levers with v-brakes? Would
> the brakes work? Would the released brakes stay far enough from the rims?

Direct pull brakes, such as V-Brakes (TM) require twice as much cable pull as conventional brakes.

If you used this combination, either the brake levers would bottom out against the handlebars before
the brake was fully applied, or, the brake shoes would not retract far enough to clear the rim when
the brakes were released.

Sheldon "Don't Do It" Brown +------------------------------------------------------+
| There are strange things done in the midnight sun, | by the men who moil for gold, | The Arctic
| trails have their secret tales, | That would make your blood run cold... | --Robert Service |
+------------------------------------------------------+ Harris Cyclery, West Newton, Massachusetts

> Michel Gagnon a demandé
>
> > So what would happen if one were to use 1980-style Dia-Compe non-aero levers with v-brakes?
> > Would the brakes work? Would the released brakes stay far enough from the rims?

> If you used this combination, either the brake levers would bottom out against the handlebars
> before the brake was fully applied, or, the brake shoes would not retract far enough to clear the
> rim when the brakes were released.
>
> Sheldon "Don't Do It" Brown

Thanks

Michel Gagnon