Brake lever hoods for Campy Super Record brake levers still available?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by Boyd Speerschne, Oct 7, 2003.

  1. Hello,

    My uncle is restoring an old bike of his. It has Campy Freni Super Record brakes (levers and
    calipers) circa 1982-1983. Anyway, the hoods are worn out and he needs to replace them. Is this part
    still available? If so, where?

    TIA,

    - Boyd S.

    Tags:

  2. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello,
    >
    > My uncle is restoring an old bike of his. It has Campy Freni Super Record brakes (levers and
    > calipers) circa 1982-1983. Anyway, the hoods are worn out and he needs to replace them. Is this
    > part still available? If so, where?

    http://www.bicycleclassics.com/brakes.html , among others.

    Jeff

  3. Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Hello,
    >
    > My uncle is restoring an old bike of his. It has Campy Freni Super Record brakes (levers and
    > calipers) circa 1982-1983. Anyway, the hoods are worn out and he needs to replace them. Is this
    > part still available? If so, where?
    >
    > TIA,
    >
    > - Boyd S.

    Euro-Asia Imports has a nice set of replacement hoods they sell under their own name. No logos on
    'em, traditional gum or black colors, about $22. Although not original, they look nice and may save
    you a little $$$$$$. Get 'em at Vecchio's. Cheers. --Jim

  4. Phil Brown

    Phil Brown Guest

    >ds they sell under their own name. No logos on 'em, traditional gum or black colors, about $22.
    >Although not original, they look nice and may save you a little $$$$$$.

    They don't ahve the same look as real Campys. If you're restoring a bike pop for the real thing. If
    you want to ride it gum Modulos look more like the real thing. Phil Brown

  5. Bfd

    Bfd Guest

    [email protected] (Phil Brown) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >ds they sell under their own name. No logos on 'em, traditional gum or black colors, about $22.
    > >Although not original, they look nice and may save you a little $$$$$$.
    >
    > They don't ahve the same look as real Campys. If you're restoring a bike pop for the real thing.
    > If you want to ride it gum Modulos look more like the real thing.

    Actually, if you "restoring" a bike and want real Campy hoods, and are prepared to pay for them,
    then look here:

    http://www.vintagevelos.com/parts1.html

    Otherwise, Branford bike offers some Dia-Compe copies:
    http://www.branfordbike.com/brake/brk4.html#item3

    but your best bet would be ebay....

  6. Jeff Wills

    Jeff Wills Guest

    [email protected] (Phil Brown) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > >ds they sell under their own name. No logos on 'em, traditional gum or black colors, about $22.
    > >Although not original, they look nice and may save you a little $$$$$$.
    >
    > They don't ahve the same look as real Campys. If you're restoring a bike pop for the real thing.
    > If you want to ride it gum Modulos look more like the real thing. Phil Brown

    I suspect Euro-Asia didn't want to make *exact* copies of the Campy hoods to avoid paying licensing
    fees. Since the OP wanted *replacements* as opposed to *reproductions* I'd be willing to bet they're
    good enough.

    (I remember working at Euro-Asia, surrounded by *crates* and *crates* of Campy stuff, from Nuovo
    Record to C-Record. Damn I'm glad I have a real job and I can afford to buy some of the stuff now.)

    Jeff Wills