Brake lever hoods for Campy Super Record brake levers still available?

Boyd Speerschne

Guest
Hello,

My uncle is restoring an old bike of his. It has Campy Freni Super Record brakes (levers and
calipers) circa 1982-1983. Anyway, the hoods are worn out and he needs to replace them. Is this part
still available? If so, where?

TIA,

- Boyd S.

Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello,
>
> My uncle is restoring an old bike of his. It has Campy Freni Super Record brakes (levers and
> calipers) circa 1982-1983. Anyway, the hoods are worn out and he needs to replace them. Is this
> part still available? If so, where?
>
> TIA,
>
> - Boyd S.

Euro-Asia Imports has a nice set of replacement hoods they sell under their own name. No logos on
'em, traditional gum or black colors, about $22. Although not original, they look nice and may save
you a little $$$$$$. Get 'em at Vecchio's. Cheers. --Jim

>ds they sell under their own name. No logos on 'em, traditional gum or black colors, about $22.
>Although not original, they look nice and may save you a little $$$$$$.

They don't ahve the same look as real Campys. If you're restoring a bike pop for the real thing. If
you want to ride it gum Modulos look more like the real thing. Phil Brown

[email protected] (Phil Brown) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >ds they sell under their own name. No logos on 'em, traditional gum or black colors, about $22.
> >Although not original, they look nice and may save you a little $$$$$$.
>
> They don't ahve the same look as real Campys. If you're restoring a bike pop for the real thing.
> If you want to ride it gum Modulos look more like the real thing.

Actually, if you "restoring" a bike and want real Campy hoods, and are prepared to pay for them,
then look here:

http://www.vintagevelos.com/parts1.html

Otherwise, Branford bike offers some Dia-Compe copies:
http://www.branfordbike.com/brake/brk4.html#item3

but your best bet would be ebay....

[email protected] (Phil Brown) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> >ds they sell under their own name. No logos on 'em, traditional gum or black colors, about $22.
> >Although not original, they look nice and may save you a little $$$$$$.
>
> They don't ahve the same look as real Campys. If you're restoring a bike pop for the real thing.
> If you want to ride it gum Modulos look more like the real thing. Phil Brown

I suspect Euro-Asia didn't want to make *exact* copies of the Campy hoods to avoid paying licensing
fees. Since the OP wanted *replacements* as opposed to *reproductions* I'd be willing to bet they're
good enough.

(I remember working at Euro-Asia, surrounded by *crates* and *crates* of Campy stuff, from Nuovo
Record to C-Record. Damn I'm glad I have a real job and I can afford to buy some of the stuff now.)

Jeff Wills