Brake lever hoods for Campy Super Record brake levers still available?

• Thread starter Boyd Speerschne
  • Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

Boyd Speerschne

Hello,

My uncle is restoring an old bike of his. It has Campy Freni Super Record brakes (levers and
calipers) circa 1982-1983. Anyway, the hoods are worn out and he needs to replace them. Is this part
still available? If so, where?

TIA,

- Boyd S.

Boyd Speerschneider <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> Hello,
>
> My uncle is restoring an old bike of his. It has Campy Freni Super Record brakes (levers and
> calipers) circa 1982-1983. Anyway, the hoods are worn out and he needs to replace them. Is this
> part still available? If so, where?
>
> TIA,
>
> - Boyd S.

Euro-Asia Imports has a nice set of replacement hoods they sell under their own name. No logos on
'em, traditional gum or black colors, about $22. Although not original, they look nice and may save
you a little $$$$$$. Get 'em at Vecchio's. Cheers. --Jim

>ds they sell under their own name. No logos on 'em, traditional gum or black colors, about $22.
>Although not original, they look nice and may save you a little $$$$$$.

They don't ahve the same look as real Campys. If you're restoring a bike pop for the real thing. If
you want to ride it gum Modulos look more like the real thing. Phil Brown

[email protected] (Phil Brown) wrote in message
> >ds they sell under their own name. No logos on 'em, traditional gum or black colors, about $22.
> >Although not original, they look nice and may save you a little $$$$$$.
>
> They don't ahve the same look as real Campys. If you're restoring a bike pop for the real thing.
> If you want to ride it gum Modulos look more like the real thing.

Actually, if you "restoring" a bike and want real Campy hoods, and are prepared to pay for them,
then look here:

http://www.vintagevelos.com/parts1.html

Otherwise, Branford bike offers some Dia-Compe copies:
http://www.branfordbike.com/brake/brk4.html#item3

but your best bet would be ebay....

[email protected] (Phil Brown) wrote in message
> >ds they sell under their own name. No logos on 'em, traditional gum or black colors, about $22.
> >Although not original, they look nice and may save you a little $$$$$$.
>
> They don't ahve the same look as real Campys. If you're restoring a bike pop for the real thing.
> If you want to ride it gum Modulos look more like the real thing. Phil Brown

I suspect Euro-Asia didn't want to make *exact* copies of the Campy hoods to avoid paying licensing
fees. Since the OP wanted *replacements* as opposed to *reproductions* I'd be willing to bet they're
good enough.

(I remember working at Euro-Asia, surrounded by *crates* and *crates* of Campy stuff, from Nuovo
Record to C-Record. Damn I'm glad I have a real job and I can afford to buy some of the stuff now.)

Jeff Wills

Status
Not open for further replies.