Brake levers fo flat bars for road brake calipers

PiledHigher

Guest
I know we've done this before but what are the prefrred brands/models
of brake levers for road calipers to suit flat bars (for another fixie
project)?

PiledHigher

On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 18:52:41 -0700, PiledHigher wrote:

> I know we've done this before but what are the prefrred brands/models
> of brake levers for road calipers to suit flat bars (for another fixie
> project)?

IIRC (big if!) you're after something to suit a cantilever brake rather
than a V-brake. The Vs pull more cable. Some, like the Avid SD range, have
adjustable leverage. I've even seen cheap Tektro levers with this feature,
though it was only a two position thing rather than the thumbscrew on the
Avids.

If it's a project bike, try getting some older levers from Bicycle Recycle.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"Some drink from the Fountain of Knowledge... Others just gargle."

Random Data wrote:
> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 18:52:41 -0700, PiledHigher wrote:
>
> > I know we've done this before but what are the prefrred brands/models
> > of brake levers for road calipers to suit flat bars (for another fixie
> > project)?

> IIRC (big if!) you're after something to suit a cantilever brake rather
> than a V-brake. The Vs pull more cable. Some, like the Avid SD range, have
> adjustable leverage. I've even seen cheap Tektro levers with this feature,
> though it was only a two position thing rather than the thumbscrew on the
> Avids.
>
> If it's a project bike, try getting some older levers from Bicycle Recycle.
>
> --
> Dave Hughes | [email protected]
> "Some drink from the Fountain of Knowledge... Others just gargle."
> - Dave Aronson

I want to use road calipers (its a road frame) rather than mountainbike
levers.

Want to make a singlespeed shop/pub bike.

On Tue, 25 Jul 2006 20:45:48 -0700, PiledHigher wrote:

> I want to use road calipers (its a road frame) rather than mountainbike
> levers.

By this I assume you want to use a standard dual pivot road caliper, as
opposed to a V-brake or cantilever brake. The levers are the bits you
pull. Road calipers, IIRC, are roughly equivalent in leverage to an older
cantilever brake. The newer V brakes have a higher mechanical advantage,
and therefore need to pull a lot more cable to get a decent clearance at
the rim.

Sheldon suggests that Canti levers have a ratio of about 3.5:1, roadie
levers about 4:1, and V-brake levers about 2:1. Since you want to use
roadie calipers, you should get Canti levers, or something that'll serve
both purposes, like the Avid Speed Dials. Current V brake levers will give
you a very firm feeling brake without much power.

--
Dave Hughes | [email protected]
"Forty-two" - Deep Thought

"PiledHigher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Random Data wrote:
>> On Sun, 23 Jul 2006 18:52:41 -0700, PiledHigher wrote:
>>
>> > I know we've done this before but what are the prefrred brands/models
>> > of brake levers for road calipers to suit flat bars (for another fixie
>> > project)?

>> IIRC (big if!) you're after something to suit a cantilever brake rather
>> than a V-brake. The Vs pull more cable. Some, like the Avid SD range,
>> have
>> adjustable leverage. I've even seen cheap Tektro levers with this
>> feature,
>> though it was only a two position thing rather than the thumbscrew on the
>> Avids.
>>
>> If it's a project bike, try getting some older levers from Bicycle
>> Recycle.
>>
>> --
>> Dave Hughes | [email protected]
>> "Some drink from the Fountain of Knowledge... Others just gargle."
>> - Dave Aronson

> I want to use road calipers (its a road frame) rather than mountainbike
> levers.
>
> Want to make a singlespeed shop/pub bike.

I'm in that boat as well. 105 caliper and flat(ish) bars on a fixie.

PiledHigher wrote:

> what are the prefrred brands/models of brake levers for road
> calipers to suit flat bars (for another fixie project)?

I use Dia-compe time trial levers on my fixed wheel, in the ends of time trial bullhorn bars. They might work okay in the ends of flat bars too, but bullhorns are cooler :)

Cheers,

Suzy