Brake levers: Hoods or mtb style?

Cablestein

Aug 23, 2004
I am having a tough time deciding what brake lever configuration I should setup on my new singlespeed bike.

What do other people do?

Traditionally I like riding on hoods, but I find they end up too far forward when all is said and done, because of the aggresive angles on track frames. A shorter stem would help alleviate it, but perhaps the too-forward issue is still there?

The other option I am considering is MTB (vbrake) style levers on the center bar in the middle. This option gets plus points because of the good pull you can get on the brake cable (I hate mushy feeling hood levers). Although, if I'm sprinting, I would my hands forward... and sprinting is the one of the times when you'd really want quick-access to brakes without having to move your arms.

What about a mix? One hood brake up front, one mtb lever on the center bar. That way if I ride forward or on the top bar, either way I have a brake I can hit.

I know a lot of guys (my current bike is this way) that does the bullhorn configuration with trial-racing cobra levers (whatever you call them). I've rode in this configuration for a half year and I don't like it for two reasons: 1. These kinds of levers can't pull a lot of cable and are real mushy, 2. They can't work on drop-bars, and looks dumb, I like the look of drop bars even though I rarely use them.

What do other people do?

Cablestein said:
What do other people do?
I use a trad bar with what was in my old parts bin, a single hood brake. I was considering a cyclocross lever but would have had to buy two. I'm happy.

i have a riser bar and mtb lever. Just the rear right now though :embarrassed:
since I only had the rear cable when I set it up.