Brake pad material

qgentry

Jan 8, 2010
Just another quick question, if anyone knows, what are my options for disc brake pads for my mountain bike? I want something that lasts longer rather than for performance.

OK, disc brakes.....what brand and model? It is entirely possible that replacement pads may only be available in the original material. This is a question that you might waant to take up with your LBS, preferably having the bike with you so that the techs can be certain what you have to begin with.

Thanks for your reply, the brakes I have are Avid Elixir 5's, if I cannot get another brake pad material, what can I do to make my brakes last longer, and keep them in good working order?

qgentry said:
Thanks for your reply, the brakes I have are Avid Elixir 5's, if I cannot get another brake pad material, what can I do to make my brakes last longer, and keep them in good working order?

don't use them as much and they will last longer ;)

qgentry said:
Baker3 has a valid point. Don't ride the brakes if you don't need to. Some other things that might not be as obvious are keep your disc clean. Any dirt or dust will act as an abrasive and wear your pads more quickly. You should clean the disc after every ride. If you clean the discs with some sort of solvent, be sure to wipe them off with alcohol.

Make sure that your discs are true and not rubbing the pads. Make sure that the calibers are aligned properly with the discs so that both the inner and outer pads are working together. If only one pad is taking the brunt of stopping you, it is going to wear much faster.

And one last thing that really won't have much bearing on pad wear, change the hydraulic fluid in your brake system in accordance with the manufacturers instructions.

Also, visit your LBS as they are probably better equipped to check your brake alignment and disc runout than you are.