Brake pad problem with sand/tiny rocks

waltereo

Jul 28, 2003
Hi,

I have a problem with my brake pad. They frequently have some sand or tiny rock that stick to the pad and when I brake it makes a terrible noise but the bad thing is that it eats my rim !!
I clean the pad / rim , I even sand my pad but the problem always come back.

The road on which I travelled are not that dirty , I think they are "usual" road !

Someone have a solution ??

Thanks in advance

waltereo said:
Hi,

I have a problem with my brake pad. They frequently have some sand or tiny rock that stick to the pad and when I brake it makes a terrible noise but the bad thing is that it eats my rim !!
I clean the pad / rim , I even sand my pad but the problem always come back.

The road on which I travelled are not that dirty , I think they are "usual" road !

Someone have a solution ??

Thanks in advance
Some pads are prone to getting small debris stuck on braking surface. I find old campy brakepads (ie. campy 80's & 90's) are less prone to this.

The obvious answer is to take them off and clean them!

I use a file.

It's a problem that is unavoidable...I ended up switching to rims with a ceramic braking surface. I've had a set on my mountain bike for 10 years now with virtually no wear...and it's been through everything from road grit to thick mud.

1) Check your pad geometry.
Excessive toe-ins of the pads may trap dirt and sand.

2) Try a different pad.
Some pads are less prone to embedding. Also some pads have a special design that helps clean off dirt and sand from the brake track eg. Kool Stop's angle tip.