my brakes go off center quite a lot.
as someone said, center them using a centering tool.
heat and humidity changes seem to cause this.
possibly also your calipers are loose.
or the centering adjustment is loose [this can be a separate
nut inside the calipers. hard to explain]
what i think is they are not meant to stay centered closer than
a mm or so.
it;s all friction, in standard road bike brakes.
also, the centering is usually not changed if someone
came along and tried to rotate the calipers around their
pivot.
they will stay like that only til the brakes are applied and then
go right back to where they were.
center pull brakes are different but can also go off center.
wle.
In article <[email hidden]>, [email hidden] says...
Quoted message said:
"Jeff Wills" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:[email hidden]...
Quoted message said:"Mark South" <[email hidden]> wrote in message
news:<[email hidden]>...
Quoted message said:Quoted message said:
No, the brakes were fine, I rode 20km and they were binding. The change
happened with me on the bike and probably while I was moving.
OK... unlikely explanation #3: how old are the rims? Could they be
worn to the point where they are bulging outward and meeting the brake
pads? This would require that the rims be quite worn *and* that they
bulge evenly around their circumference. Also, the adjustment would
have to be very close to begin with.
The rims only have about 1200km on them, with very little heavy braking. They
are non-machine, non-anodized 32-spoke Ambrosio semi-aero rims.
Quoted message said:What kind of rim is it? Are the rim walls parallel or do they taper
somewhat, like this: \__/ ?? I'm thinking that the center bolt
of the caliper could have bent upwards somehow, binding the brake pads
against the rim.
Very close to parallel.
Quoted message said:Could one or both of the brake pads have come slightly loose, allowing
them to rotate in the caliper? I've had this happen- and the pads
remain pretty tight afterwards.
I'm going to treble-check that next time I have a moment to look at the bike
carefully.
Thanks for all the responses, BTW. I'm appreciative of all the suggestions
everyone has made.
--
"I would recommend Iowa or North
Dakota for your dip into reality."
- Ed Dolan in alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent