Brake Pad recommendation

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by db, Apr 6, 2006.

  1. db

    db Guest

    Any recommendations for brake pads for Cannondale Omega brakes?

    Tags:

  2. Hank Wirtz

    Hank Wirtz Guest

    "db" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Any recommendations for brake pads for Cannondale Omega brakes?

    What conditions are you riding in? Unless you're in a really dry area, I'd
    suggest Kool-Stop Salmon pads. Dunno if your brakes have Shimano-compatible
    holders, but KS sells them with and without the holders. The dual-compound
    ones are nice, too.

  3. Matt O'Toole

    Matt O'Toole Guest

    On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 11:19:05 -0700, Hank Wirtz wrote:

    > "db" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]

    > What conditions are you riding in? Unless you're in a really dry area,
    > I'd suggest Kool-Stop Salmon pads. Dunno if your brakes have
    > Shimano-compatible holders, but KS sells them with and without the
    > holders. The dual-compound ones are nice, too.

    I second the recommendation for KS Salmon. If you can't get those, the
    black KS are the next best thing, still way better than Shimano.

    With such a strong consensus these are the best, I don't understand why so
    few bike shops sell them. That's OK though, I'm happy to give my business
    to the mail order shops that do.

    Matt O.

  4. db wrote:

    > Any recommendations for brake pads for Cannondale Omega brakes?

    The answer is always Kool-Stop salmon pads.

  5. On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 18:54:57 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >db wrote:
    >
    >> Any recommendations for brake pads for Cannondale Omega brakes?
    >>

    >The answer is always Kool-Stop salmon pads.

    Does anyone know if something advertised as Kool-stop pads in red (with
    the same pads also available in blue and yellow) are the Salmon pads, or
    are they just fancy coloured ones?

    Jasper

  6. Jasper Janssen writes:

    >>> Any recommendations for brake pads for Cannondale Omega brakes?

    >> The answer is always Kool-Stop salmon pads.

    > Does anyone know if something advertised as Kool-stop pads in red
    > (with the same pads also available in blue and yellow) are the
    > Salmon pads, or are they just fancy coloured ones?

    Salmon refers to the pale red color of the compound. The main
    feature of this material, other than good grip, is that it resists
    picking up grit that chews up aluminum rims while having a low wear
    rate. Its drawback is that it tends to squeal with high air humidity.

    Jobst Brandt

  7. > Salmon refers to the pale red color of the compound. The main
    > feature of this material, other than good grip, is that it resists
    > picking up grit that chews up aluminum rims while having a low wear
    > rate. Its drawback is that it tends to squeal with high air humidity.
    >
    > Jobst Brandt

    they squeal in arid Arizona too, but I like them.

  8. Aman

    Aman Guest

    Kool-stop makes Red pads as well as Salmon pads. From
    riding with both the Salmon seem a tiny bit softer, maybe.
    They both say they are made of the, "Rim saving compound."

    -Alex

    On 7 Apr 2006 [email protected] wrote:

    > >> The answer is always Kool-Stop salmon pads.

    > > Does anyone know if something advertised as Kool-stop pads in red
    > > (with the same pads also available in blue and yellow) are the
    > > Salmon pads, or are they just fancy coloured ones?

    > Salmon refers to the pale red color of the compound. The main
    > feature of this material, other than good grip, is that it resists
    > picking up grit that chews up aluminum rims while having a low wear
    > rate. Its drawback is that it tends to squeal with high air humidity.
    >
    > Jobst Brandt

  9. Derk

    Derk Guest

    > Kool-stop makes Red pads as well as Salmon pads. From
    > riding with both the Salmon seem a tiny bit softer, maybe.
    > They both say they are made of the, "Rim saving compound."

    I just bought and installed a set of these Salmon pads. What on earth if
    that thicker end of the pads for?

    Gr, Derk

  10. Jeff Starr

    Jeff Starr Guest

    On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 18:43:21 +0200, Derk <[email protected]> wrote:

    >> Kool-stop makes Red pads as well as Salmon pads. From
    >> riding with both the Salmon seem a tiny bit softer, maybe.
    >> They both say they are made of the, "Rim saving compound."

    >I just bought and installed a set of these Salmon pads. What on earth if
    >that thicker end of the pads for?
    >
    >Gr, Derk

    Here, read up on the Kool Stop features:
    http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#koolstop
    I think you mean the Asymmetrical design or the Plow Tip.

    I was pleased to see that one of my LBS is now stocking a decent
    assortment of Kool Stop. When I said to one of the mechanics, that it
    was nice to see that they were now stocking the best brake pads, he
    seemed unaware. Which might explain why some of these shops don't sell
    them, no clue.

    Life is Good!
    Jeff

  11. On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 10:30:06 -0500, Aman <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Kool-stop makes Red pads as well as Salmon pads. From
    >riding with both the Salmon seem a tiny bit softer, maybe.
    >They both say they are made of the, "Rim saving compound."

    Alright, then they're definitely Red in that mailorder catalog, and not
    salmon.

    Jasper