Brake Pad recommendation

db

Guest
Any recommendations for brake pads for Cannondale Omega brakes?

"db" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Any recommendations for brake pads for Cannondale Omega brakes?

What conditions are you riding in? Unless you're in a really dry area, I'd
suggest Kool-Stop Salmon pads. Dunno if your brakes have Shimano-compatible
holders, but KS sells them with and without the holders. The dual-compound
ones are nice, too.

On Thu, 06 Apr 2006 11:19:05 -0700, Hank Wirtz wrote:

> "db" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...

> What conditions are you riding in? Unless you're in a really dry area,
> I'd suggest Kool-Stop Salmon pads. Dunno if your brakes have
> Shimano-compatible holders, but KS sells them with and without the
> holders. The dual-compound ones are nice, too.

I second the recommendation for KS Salmon. If you can't get those, the
black KS are the next best thing, still way better than Shimano.

With such a strong consensus these are the best, I don't understand why so
few bike shops sell them. That's OK though, I'm happy to give my business
to the mail order shops that do.

Matt O.

db wrote:

> Any recommendations for brake pads for Cannondale Omega brakes?

The answer is always Kool-Stop salmon pads.

On Fri, 07 Apr 2006 18:54:57 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
<[email protected]> wrote:

>db wrote:
>
>> Any recommendations for brake pads for Cannondale Omega brakes?
>>

>The answer is always Kool-Stop salmon pads.

Does anyone know if something advertised as Kool-stop pads in red (with
the same pads also available in blue and yellow) are the Salmon pads, or
are they just fancy coloured ones?

Jasper

Jasper Janssen writes:

>>> Any recommendations for brake pads for Cannondale Omega brakes?

>> The answer is always Kool-Stop salmon pads.

> Does anyone know if something advertised as Kool-stop pads in red
> (with the same pads also available in blue and yellow) are the
> Salmon pads, or are they just fancy coloured ones?

Salmon refers to the pale red color of the compound. The main
feature of this material, other than good grip, is that it resists
picking up grit that chews up aluminum rims while having a low wear
rate. Its drawback is that it tends to squeal with high air humidity.

Jobst Brandt

> Salmon refers to the pale red color of the compound. The main
> feature of this material, other than good grip, is that it resists
> picking up grit that chews up aluminum rims while having a low wear
> rate. Its drawback is that it tends to squeal with high air humidity.
>
> Jobst Brandt

they squeal in arid Arizona too, but I like them.

Kool-stop makes Red pads as well as Salmon pads. From
riding with both the Salmon seem a tiny bit softer, maybe.
They both say they are made of the, "Rim saving compound."

-Alex

On 7 Apr 2006 [email protected] wrote:

> >> The answer is always Kool-Stop salmon pads.

> > Does anyone know if something advertised as Kool-stop pads in red
> > (with the same pads also available in blue and yellow) are the
> > Salmon pads, or are they just fancy coloured ones?

> Salmon refers to the pale red color of the compound. The main
> feature of this material, other than good grip, is that it resists
> picking up grit that chews up aluminum rims while having a low wear
> rate. Its drawback is that it tends to squeal with high air humidity.
>
> Jobst Brandt
>

> Kool-stop makes Red pads as well as Salmon pads. From
> riding with both the Salmon seem a tiny bit softer, maybe.
> They both say they are made of the, "Rim saving compound."

I just bought and installed a set of these Salmon pads. What on earth if
that thicker end of the pads for?

Gr, Derk

On Sat, 08 Apr 2006 18:43:21 +0200, Derk <[email protected]> wrote:

>> Kool-stop makes Red pads as well as Salmon pads. From
>> riding with both the Salmon seem a tiny bit softer, maybe.
>> They both say they are made of the, "Rim saving compound."

>I just bought and installed a set of these Salmon pads. What on earth if
>that thicker end of the pads for?
>
>Gr, Derk

Here, read up on the Kool Stop features:
http://sheldonbrown.com/harris/brakeshoes.html#koolstop
I think you mean the Asymmetrical design or the Plow Tip.

I was pleased to see that one of my LBS is now stocking a decent
assortment of Kool Stop. When I said to one of the mechanics, that it
was nice to see that they were now stocking the best brake pads, he
seemed unaware. Which might explain why some of these shops don't sell
them, no clue.

Life is Good!
Jeff

On Sat, 8 Apr 2006 10:30:06 -0500, Aman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Kool-stop makes Red pads as well as Salmon pads. From
>riding with both the Salmon seem a tiny bit softer, maybe.
>They both say they are made of the, "Rim saving compound."

Alright, then they're definitely Red in that mailorder catalog, and not
salmon.

Jasper