Scott

Guest
Hi,
Just got a new Specialized Allez road bike. The stock brake pads are
pretty bad and I would like to replace them. I'm looking for
recommendations as to brands / models people like.

Thanks,
Scott

On 2007-02-20, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
> Just got a new Specialized Allez road bike. The stock brake pads are
> pretty bad and I would like to replace them. I'm looking for
> recommendations as to brands / models people like.
>
> Thanks,
> Scott

koolstop

nothing is as good.

Cheers

Joel

Joel Mayes wrote:
> On 2007-02-20, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Just got a new Specialized Allez road bike. The stock brake pads are
>> pretty bad and I would like to replace them. I'm looking for
>> recommendations as to brands / models people like.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Scott

> koolstop
>
> nothing is as good.

I would second that, BUT if you have brakes with a lot of slop in them,
like my Tektro cantilevers, the amount of toe-in required to stop the
salmon pads squealing gets rather silly. On short drop dual-pivot
brakes they are fine.

On Feb 19, 9:08 pm, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hi,
> Just got a new Specialized Allez road bike. The stock brake pads are
> pretty bad and I would like to replace them. I'm looking for
> recommendations as to brands / models people like.

On this list, you'll see a thousand threads asking this question, and
you'll always hear a hundred people respond in unison, "Kool-Stop
Salmon."

Then Jim Beam will disagree.

Hank Wirtz wrote:
> On Feb 19, 9:08 pm, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Just got a new Specialized Allez road bike. The stock brake pads are
>> pretty bad and I would like to replace them. I'm looking for
>> recommendations as to brands / models people like.
>>

> On this list, you'll see a thousand threads asking this question, and
> you'll always hear a hundred people respond in unison, "Kool-Stop
> Salmon."
>
> Then Jim Beam will disagree.

Like Jim I think the Campagnolo pads are better than the Koolstops
Salmon so you can beat me too.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

"Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hank Wirtz wrote:
>> On Feb 19, 9:08 pm, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>> Just got a new Specialized Allez road bike. The stock brake pads
>>> are
>>> pretty bad and I would like to replace them. I'm looking for
>>> recommendations as to brands / models people like.
>>>

>> On this list, you'll see a thousand threads asking this question, and
>> you'll always hear a hundred people respond in unison, "Kool-Stop
>> Salmon."
>>
>> Then Jim Beam will disagree.
>>

> Like Jim I think the Campagnolo pads are better than the Koolstops Salmon
> so you can beat me too.
>
> Lou
> --
> Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

After reading this post, and Zog's on the same topic, will Campagnolo pads
not require as much toe-in as the Koolstop Salmon pads in order to stop the
squealing on my Avid Shorty cantilever brakes?
Thanks,
Kerry

Scott <[email protected]> writes:

>Hi,
> Just got a new Specialized Allez road bike. The stock brake pads are
>pretty bad and I would like to replace them. I'm looking for
>recommendations as to brands / models people like.

Jagwire makes some pretty nice ones at $1.39 per pair. You can pay
more, but you cannot pay less.

http://www.biketoolsetc.com

- Don Gillies
San Diego, CA

On Feb 20, 11:46 am, Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:
> Hank Wirtz wrote:
> > On Feb 19, 9:08 pm, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> Just got a new Specialized Allez road bike. The stock brake pads are
> >> pretty bad and I would like to replace them. I'm looking for
> >> recommendations as to brands / models people like.

> > On this list, you'll see a thousand threads asking this question, and
> > you'll always hear a hundred people respond in unison, "Kool-Stop
> > Salmon."

> > Then Jim Beam will disagree.

> Like Jim I think the Campagnolo pads are better than the Koolstops
> Salmon so you can beat me too.

You're excommunicated!!! Leave the flock now!

KERRY MONTGOMERY wrote:
> "Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> Hank Wirtz wrote:
>>>>
>>> On this list, you'll see a thousand threads asking this question, and
>>> you'll always hear a hundred people respond in unison, "Kool-Stop
>>> Salmon."
>>>
>>> Then Jim Beam will disagree.
>>>

>> Like Jim I think the Campagnolo pads are better than the Koolstops Salmon
>> so you can beat me too.
>>
>> Lou
>> --
>> Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

> After reading this post, and Zog's on the same topic, will Campagnolo pads
> not require as much toe-in as the Koolstop Salmon pads in order to stop the
> squealing on my Avid Shorty cantilever brakes?
> Thanks,
> Kerry

Cantilever brakes? I thought we were talking road bikes.

Lou
--
Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

"Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> KERRY MONTGOMERY wrote:
>> "Lou Holtman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...

>>> Like Jim I think the Campagnolo pads are better than the Koolstops
>>> Salmon so you can beat me too.
>>>
>>> Lou
>>> --
>>> Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

>> After reading this post, and Zog's on the same topic, will Campagnolo
>> pads not require as much toe-in as the Koolstop Salmon pads in order to
>> stop the squealing on my Avid Shorty cantilever brakes?
>> Thanks,
>> Kerry

> Cantilever brakes? I thought we were talking road bikes.
>
> Lou
> --
> Posted by news://news.nb.nu (http://www.nb.nu)

Mine's a cyclocross frame, but is mostly ridden as a road bike. I forget
that it really isn't.
Kerry

KERRY MONTGOMERY wrote:
> After reading this post, and Zog's on the same topic, will Campagnolo pads
> not require as much toe-in as the Koolstop Salmon pads in order to stop the
> squealing on my Avid Shorty cantilever brakes?

Avid brakes don't have a pad material problem - they're just noisy.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

Joel Mayes wrote:
> On 2007-02-20, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
>> Hi,
>> Just got a new Specialized Allez road bike. The stock brake pads are
>> pretty bad and I would like to replace them. I'm looking for
>> recommendations as to brands / models people like.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Scott

> koolstop
>
> nothing is as good.

avoid the salmons. they work fine in the dry, but when it's really wet,
prayer will be your best way of stopping in emergency, because
koolstop's won't do it for you. campy have the best brake pads. the
new shimano's are ok, but they still embed grit in the wet. [but grit
is academic when you need to stop but can't.]

> Cheers
>
> Joel

In article <[email protected]>,
jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:

> avoid the salmons. they work fine in the dry, but when it's really wet,
> prayer will be your best way of stopping in emergency, because
> koolstop's won't do it for you. campy have the best brake pads. the
> new shimano's are ok, but they still embed grit in the wet. [but grit
> is academic when you need to stop but can't.]

Good to know. I'll see the difference when my present set of Koolstop
wears out. Campag pads have been waiting in my parts box for a while now.
--

ZTU writes:

>>> Just got a new Specialized Allez road bike. The stock brake pads
>>> are pretty bad and I would like to replace them. I'm looking for
>>> recommendations as to brands / models people like.

>> Kool-stop nothing is as good.

> I would second that, BUT if you have brakes with a lot of slop in
> them, like my Tektro cantilevers, the amount of toe-in required to
> stop the salmon pads squealing gets rather silly. On short drop
> dual-pivot brakes they are fine.

Toe-in is naturally caused by elasticity of brake calipers as the pad
is pressed against a moving rim. The reaction force on the pad is
forward and outward causing the brake arm to twist. Twist wears the
rear (leading edge) of the pad more than the front, called toe-in.
When it was noticed that worn pads that didn't squeal had toe-in,
people began bending brake calipers.

As I recently mentioned, squeal is generally caused by contamination
of the rim brake track, sweat dripping off a standing climber's face
being the prime source. Braking lightly while riding through a mud
puddle is the easiest way to clean a rim, while Bon Ami cleanser on a
moistened rim does as well. If it is a steep descent, some hard
braking will clean things also, but it must be steep to brake hard
without stopping.

Jobst Brandt

#1+++, they stop in the wet.
#2, they don't embed grit very easily. or at least, you can release and
reapply and the grit drags out - it doesn't get stuck like it does with
shimano and even koolstop.

Artoi <[email protected]> wrote:
> Reason?

In the realm of taste, the compounds behave a little bit differently.
Neither is 'better' or 'bad' in my opinion but riders do have preferences.
--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org
Open every day since 1 April, 1971

"Artoi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Lou Holtman <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Like Jim I think the Campagnolo pads are better than the Koolstops
> > Salmon so you can beat me too.

> Reason?
> --

They stop better in the rain, and they hardly pick up any grit. I paid no
attention to the embedded grit problem until I saw a friend check his
Shimano pads after every wet ride on a holiday some years ago. 'Holy ****' I
thought when I saw his pads and I checked mine (Campy). No grit. After that
I check my pads more regulary and I can say that the Campy pads have almost
never any grit embedded in them. After reading good things about the Kool
Stop Salmons I tried them once. I was not impressed and they embed grit more
easy than the Campy pads I was used to. Probably they are better than the
Shimano pads I saw.

Beside of all this Koolstop Salmon pads look ugly and it is a sissy color
;-)

Lou

In article <[email protected]>,
jim beam <[email protected]> wrote:

> Joel Mayes wrote:
> > On 2007-02-20, Scott <[email protected]> wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> Just got a new Specialized Allez road bike. The stock brake pads are
> >> pretty bad and I would like to replace them. I'm looking for
> >> recommendations as to brands / models people like.
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Scott

> > koolstop
> >
> > nothing is as good.

> avoid the salmons. they work fine in the dry, but when it's really wet,
> prayer will be your best way of stopping in emergency, because
> koolstop's won't do it for you. campy have the best brake pads. the
> new shimano's are ok, but they still embed grit in the wet. [but grit
> is academic when you need to stop but can't.]

Jim, your theory does not reflect my experience as a year-round commuter
in Vancouver. Kool Stop salmons are the only pad I run, and I'm pretty
picky about braking performance.

-RjC.