Brake pads (rim roadie)

Mr. Beanz

Aug 18, 2015
Having used rim brakes all my life, I continue to use them and hope to never HAVE to switch with all the new tech today. I am perfectly happy and never had a problem stopping. Not even on descents at 40 MPH being a heavier Clydesdale cyclist.

So speaking of rim brakes, I never understood this. Spend $30 for the brake shoes/pad with removable inserts. Then to replace the insert, is another $10 as needed.

I myself but the entire brake pad/shoe for $10 or less. Why not do it this way rather than spending more just to have removeable inserts that cost the same to replace as the entire shoe?

I have had both styles and did away with my removeable system. I have never had a problem stopping as mentioned.

So why do cyclists insist on spending more money on the removeable inserts type ??? :confused:

Am I missing something? Is it about style?

--------------------------------------------------------

Spend $30 for a set of brake pads with the removeable insert.

01.JPG

Then when the inserts wear out, spend another $10 to replace JUST the insert, JUST THE INSERT.

02.JPG

But for $10 or less, you get the whole brake shoe/pad.

03.JPG

Some people are intimidated by the thought of positioning the pad. With inserts, you don’t need to reset the alignment.

Reactions: Mr. Beanz
I hear you, but they're also not that expensive, $30 for the cartridge style will last at least 5 years with heavy use. But being cheap myself I just replace the pads, but I don't use Shimano pads, I didn't find them to grip as well as Kool-Stop Dura Type pads do, and that is really noticeable in the rain, plus the Dura pads last longer, like twice as long, but they cost twice as much so price wise they're a wash.

Some people are intimidated by the thought of positioning the pad. With inserts, you don’t need to reset the alignment.

I thought about that. It does seem some people are easily intimidates with things like that. I wondered what would happen if I set them wrong but never had a problem. Line them up, use the business card to add some tow, easy.

I can imagine the shop charges pretty good to install the brake pads as well. $30 and the labor to install, if the bike doesn't already come with that style. Can get expensive.

I just purchase the insert pad and replace myself. No big deal what so ever.....but I also wrench a lot and can build a bike up blindfolded.

I just purchase the insert pad and replace myself.

Yes but why? Was that style stock equipment on your bike? I can see this but my point is that why would people switch over if not equipped on a stock bike or decide on this type if building up one's own bike? I doubt there is an advantage to this type as far as stopping power, so other than stock equipment, I don't see a reason to switch.

No big deal what so ever.....but I also wrench a lot and can build a bike up blindfolded.

Exactly! But the shop charges you like it is an engine overhaul. First time a shop did a component swap on a warranty, they charged me $75. I thought it was a lot but paid it. The next time I needed a component swap, they wanted $220. WTH! I took the bike apart and swapped the frame at the shop. Took me about 20 minutes to strip the frame and about and hour to put it back together. I spent about $20 in tools, had the rest which are basic tools.

The guy tried to make it sound like it was a tough technical job. I told him I built my own wheels as well and then he said, oh, Ok and gave up on trying to explain why I should let the shop do it for an overblown price. :D

Maybe I am seeing something different here. Pads $8.99 or shoe and pads $28.99 to $31.99 depending. I just buy the pads at $8.99 and do myself. Savings of $20-$23 depending on which set.

Takes about 3 minutes tops to do. I can see if you have a damaged shoe why you would buy the set together but for worn out pads....just buy pads myself.

I use SwissStop myself. Not sure the days going rate on those but can’t be too much.

I can see if you have a damaged shoe why you would buy the set together but for worn out pads....just buy pads myself..

Well that is my point of this post, why chose the more expensive system if you HAD to replace the brakes/shoes system?

As I said, if the bike is equipped with the system, then it's inexpensive. But in the case the shoes/pads need to be replaced totally, why would one chose the more expensive system?

Mr Beanz, replacing those pads is easier than fixing a flat! All you have to do is get on YouTube and watch videos of how it's done, it really is super easy to do yourself, and if you have enough mechanical ability to fix a rear flat then you can do this.

What are these weird new members joining and giving us a first-grade education on bikes and how they work on this forum these days?

What are these weird new members joining and giving us a first-grade education on bikes and how they work on this forum these days?
I have noticed the same crazy thing. I have been reporting the post as spammish and hopefully they will get excommunicated from us!

Since then, I have bought a box of brake shoes. Ultegra, box of 5 sets which comes out to $8 each. Probably set for life now. :D

Just couldn't figure out why anybody would pay $30 for a removable set up or even $8 for a strip of rubber when one can get the entire shoe for $8. Like 3 times the material used.

And yes, easy to replace the shoes. I use a thin strip of cardboard to set the tow. :cool: