Brake Pads

Lee

Guest
Ok,

So aside from my punctures (see below!) I seem to be going through brake pads at a rate of knots.

I bought some Fibrax pads from Halfords probably no longer than 2-3 weeks ago and they are already
nearly bare. Ok, so Fibrax are perhaps not the best pads to get, but when you are desperate and
thats all the shop has..... you get my point.

Anyway, the point of the post is to see if anyone can recommend which brake pads are the best to get
(i.e. longest lasting for the cost).

My current bike has Shimano V Brakes so pads which fit that system would be appreciated.

Thanks all

Lee

"Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> wrote in message

> My current bike has Shimano V Brakes so pads which fit that system would
be
> appreciated.

Koolstop Eagle Claw - preferably the salmon coloured ones, but they can be hard to find, but various
online shops are good (Wiggle had them in iirc, Sheldon Brown will send them from the US) - brake
pads are brake pads so you don't need to see them first, and they are nice and small for
delivery.....

I am using the XT cartridge pads at the moment. The initial outlay is pretty high at about £20 per pair (i think) , but these came with my new calipers. However replacement cartridges are only about a tenner per pair (i think). Good stopping power. I havent noticed too much wear and have had them on for nearly 2 months now.

Lee wrote:
> Anyway, the point of the post is to see if anyone can recommend which brake pads are the best to
> get (i.e. longest lasting for the cost).

I would define best as: good stopping power, don't chew up rims, last longer than average pads. Kool
Stop Salmon (or Dual) fit this bill - but aren't cheap. Available from Wiggle or your local bike
shop if lucky.

~PB

"Frobnitz" <eddie_d@@@blueyonder.ocbackwards.uk> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> "Lee" <gnippernospampleasemuchly@nospampleasemuchlyverymuch.btinternet.com> wrote in message
>
> > My current bike has Shimano V Brakes so pads which fit that system would
> be
> > appreciated.
>
> Koolstop Eagle Claw - preferably the salmon coloured ones, but they can be hard to find, but
> various online shops are good (Wiggle had them in iirc, Sheldon Brown will send them from the US)
> - brake pads are brake pads so you don't need to see them first, and they are nice and small for
> delivery.....

The Fibrax 'cartridge' type with replacable pads are good too. I actually use the V-brake version
for the old-style cantilevers on my 'cross bike! However, if buying these, try and hunt down the
'special offer' packs [1] which come complete with an extra set of pads at no extra charge.

David E. Belcher

[1] Also available for dual-pivot road calipers.

"David E. Belcher" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> The Fibrax 'cartridge' type with replacable pads are good too. I actually use the V-brake version
> for the old-style cantilevers on my 'cross bike! However, if buying these, try and hunt down the
> 'special offer' packs [1] which come complete with an extra set of pads at no extra charge.
>
> David E. Belcher
>
> [1] Also available for dual-pivot road calipers.

I have seen these and they MAY well be my next purchase... still contemplating tho

davebee <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> I am using the XT cartridge pads at the moment. The initial outlay is pretty high at about £20 per
> pair (i think) , but these came with my new calipers. However replacement cartridges are only
> about a tenner per pair (i think). Good stopping power. I havent noticed too much wear and have
> had them on for nearly 2 months now.

I've got Avid SD5's and am looking at replacement brake pads. From what I can find these are
'linear' brakes, and compatiable with XT cartridges. I haven't a clue, how do I check whether I can
just use replacement pads and that I already have replacement cartridges?

Thanks

I bought some Fibrax pads from Halfords probably no longer than 2-3 weeks ago and they are already
nearly bare. Ok, so Fibrax are perhaps not the best pads to get, but when you are desperate and
thats all the shop has..... you get my point.

Lee [/B]

If you wear them in properly by being gentle with your new rim and pads I think they will last longer.
I too seem to get very little life from my pads. I tend to only use my rear brakes, like on a kart, and keep the front for when stupid motorists, bless them, try to kill me.
When the brakes get covered in crud you can hear them destroying my rims but what can you do? Funny enough they seem to wear down the most in the wet and my priority is to have a pad that is good in the wet. In the dry a pad is a pad but when its wet it seems some are a lot more controllable than others. Some pads seem to do bugger all and then suddenly, when they have been around the rim and dryed it a bit, they suddenly grab your wheel and lock it. Others, and I think these are the rim killers, give good feel and work even when drenched.

Does anybody know a good-wet pad for road bikes?

MichaelB wrote:
> If you wear them in properly by being gentle with your new rim and pads I think they will last
> longer. I too seem to get very little life from my pads. I tend to only use my rear brakes, like
> on a kart, and keep the front for when stupid motorists, bless them, try to kill me. When the
> brakes get covered in crud you can hear them destroying my rims but what can you do?

What you can do is use better pads and use the front brake. Rear brakes are less effective so you
have to use them more (if only rear braking) and rear pads disintegrate faster anyway.

> Funny enough they seem to wear down the most in the wet and my priority is to have a pad that is
> good in the wet. In the dry a pad is a pad but when its wet it seems some are a lot more
> controllable than others. Some pads seem to do bugger all and then suddenly, when they have been
> around the rim and dryed it a bit, they suddenly grab your wheel and lock it. Others, and I think
> these are the rim killers, give good feel and work even when drenched.
>
> Does anybody know a good-wet pad for road bikes?

Kool Stop Salmon - although they're no better than any other pads in the very heaviest of downpours.

~PB