Cycling Equipment · Public discussion

brake pivot bolt/nut engagement

Started by John Forrest Tomlinson · · Last activity · 4 posts · 277 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Cycling Equipment
Published
9 July 2007
Last activity
9 July 2007
Original author
John Forrest Tomlinson
Posts
4
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
277
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–4 of 4
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. I'm installing a brake caliper, and am wondering if the recessed nut
    I'm using it engaging enough threads. It take about seven or eight
    turns to snug the thing down. Is that enough?

    I have a long nut, but it won't work w/o a washer behind the brake.
    Would that be better to use?
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visit http://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

  2. On Jul 8, 8:36 pm, John Forrest Tomlinson <[email hidden]>

    Quoted message said:

    I'm installing a brake caliper, and am wondering if the recessed nut
    I'm using it engaging enough threads. It take about seven or eight
    turns to snug the thing down. Is that enough?

    I have a long nut, but it won't work w/o a washer behind the brake.
    Would that be better to use?
    --
    JT
    ****************************
    Remove "remove" to reply
    Visithttp://www.jt10000.com
    ****************************

    Shimano recommends at least 6 turns, and it sounds like you've got at
    least that.

  3. John Forrest Tomlinson said:

    I'm installing a brake caliper, and am wondering if the recessed nut
    I'm using it engaging enough threads. It take about seven or eight
    turns to snug the thing down. Is that enough?

    I have a long nut, but it won't work w/o a washer behind the brake.
    Would that be better to use?

    can you not see the bolt inside the nut? it should be close to [but not
    at] the ends of the threads.

  4. John Forrest Tomlinson said:

    I'm installing a brake caliper, and am wondering if the recessed nut
    I'm using it engaging enough threads. It take about seven or eight
    turns to snug the thing down. Is that enough?

    I have a long nut, but it won't work w/o a washer behind the brake.
    Would that be better to use?

    Rule of thumb for steel is 1.5 times bolt diameter. If you want more, just
    get a similar bolt for a non-recessed nut, run a die down it, and cut the
    excess off.

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.