Brake problems Kona Jake the Snake 105's?

Discussion in 'Cycling Equipment' started by pakejotter, Sep 17, 2009.

1. pakejotter

pakejotter New Member

Hi everyone I am new and relatively new to any kind of serious cycling around here and have come into a few problems with a build up

My giant tcr 2 frame started cracking so I brought a 2008 Kona Jake the Snake frame of ebay. In my infinite wisdom I assumed that because the Kona used the 105 components that all of the components would fit.

The first problem I have come into is mounting the front derailer. On the tcr the it bolted straight onto the frame but on the snake there are no mounting points. Is there some kind of mounting ring that the derailer bolts onto?

The next problem is with brakes Is there any way of mountin the 105 brakes to the frame can I buy or make up some adapters to make them fit or would I be better of buying some cantiver brakes like it originaly came with?

Cheers

Jake

Tags:

2. alfeng

alfeng Well-Known Member

It sounds as though your current front derailleur is intended for a frame with a BRAZE-ON mount ...

You can either buy a CLAMP which onto which you would attach your 105 front derailleur or you can buy a new derailleur whose clamp has the correct size to fit onto the KONA frame.

You will want to buy a pair of cantilever brakes to use with your KONA frame.

3. OldGoat

OldGoat New Member

Here's a cheap braze-on adapter clamp:
    Generic Application Error Test JSP (Item)

Google "derailleur clamp" for many more.

Agree w/ Alf re purchasing new cantilever brakes. Sell the 105's on eBay to recoup part of cost.