Brake resistance, help please!

Khelmick

Jun 15, 2014
Hello! I'm a year into cycling and I'm still figuring everything out. I was cleaning my bike on a stand the other day and noticed a problem. I spun my front wheel and it spun, and spun, and spun. Then my rear wheel. It spun for maybe ten seconds then stopped. I'm assuming this is not normal. Maybe the brakes are too close. Thanks in advance!

Are the brake pads touching the rims? (Brake rub).

What kind of a hub does the rear wheel have? Is it an internal gear hub?

This is the brake set up I have.

Brake Levers Shimano Tiagra Dual Control 10spd Brakes Tektro R325 dual pivot

Are the pads dragging on the rim though? Sometimes the brake calipers are just loose and get bumped/twisted on the mount which makes one of the pads drag.

They are dragging a bit. When I switch the quick release there isn't much that happens which is odd. I thought the release would make a much biggest gap. Should I tweak the tension?

The quick release only moves them a few mm. Before you adjust the tension, make sure they're centered on the rim and retighten the caliper mount if necessary. Also, spin the wheel and watch it pass through the caliper. Does it spin straight or does it wobble?

Also if you making the adjustments on a bike stand make sure the clamps are not making the cables bind. It is sometimes better to clamp the seat post.

Things that make brakes drag include:
  • Rusty, oxidized, corroded, frayed, damaged, kinked, or otherwise ill-functioning cables and housings
  • Rusty caliper pivots
  • Damaged calipers, especially the return-spring anchors that are often cheap plastic
  • Uncentered brake caliper
  • Not using a ferrule at the end of the housing where it meets a cable stop on the frame
  • A damaged ferrule
  • Worn out brake pads
  • Incorrect toeing of brake pads
  • Brake pads set too high and rubbing the tire
  • Brake pads set too low and hooking under the edge of the braking flat of the rim
  • Wheel out of true
  • Wheel not set in dropouts straight
  • Brakes adjusted for wheel not set in dropouts straight
  • **** such as lights, locks, carabiners, and other toys hung on frame over brake cables
  • Basket or cupholder mounted to handlebar causing cables to bind
  • Accessories like computer wires wound around bare brake cables
  • Housing not set in cable stop on frame
  • Bent or otherwise damaged noodle on linear pull brake caliper

This is just of short list of what I've seen that causes brakes not to work. Some of these will be easy to check. Some will require a level of perspicacity.

Reactions: Frog154