Brake shoes doing some squealing

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Calm n Collected, Sep 11, 2004.

  1. My front brakes are squealing.
    They are touching the rim same as the rear.
    Any suggestions on how to stop it.

    Thanks.

    Tags:

  2. tcmedara

    tcmedara Guest

    Calm n Collected <[email protected]> wrote:
    > My front brakes are squealing.
    > They are touching the rim same as the rear.
    > Any suggestions on how to stop it.
    >

    > Thanks.

    The first line of attack w/ squealing brakes is to ensure they are "toed"
    in. Check here for a quick primer on brake adjustment:
    http://www.parktool.com/repair_help/howfix_linearbrakes.shtml

    'Course I've got a set of XT v-brakes that squeal like hell no matter what I
    do to 'em. Eventually I figure I'll just swap out the pads and see if that
    works. It doesn't bother much so I haven't felt like going through the
    effort of swapping pads and adjusting everything again.

    Tom

  3. Dan Daniel

    Dan Daniel Guest

    On 11 Sep 2004 21:53:01 -0700, [email protected] (Calm n
    Collected) wrote:

    >My front brakes are squealing.
    >They are touching the rim same as the rear.
    >Any suggestions on how to stop it.
    >

    >Thanks.

    Try cleaning the brake pads and the rim surface. Sandpaper on the
    brake pads to remove any glazing. I use steel wool on the rims- #0 or
    so.

    Toeing in is another possibility. I like to try putting a bevel on the
    back of the pad first. Sanding- disc sander or Dremel tool- about a
    1/4" length by 1/8" depth or so.

    I try cleaning first, though.

  4. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 22:08:43 -0700, Dan Daniel wrote:

    > On 11 Sep 2004 21:53:01 -0700, [email protected] (Calm n Collected)
    > wrote:
    >
    >>My front brakes are squealing.
    >>They are touching the rim same as the rear. Any suggestions on how to
    >>stop it.
    >>

    >>Thanks.

    > Try cleaning the brake pads and the rim surface. Sandpaper on the brake
    > pads to remove any glazing. I use steel wool on the rims- #0 or so.
    >
    > Toeing in is another possibility. I like to try putting a bevel on the
    > back of the pad first. Sanding- disc sander or Dremel tool- about a 1/4"
    > length by 1/8" depth or so.
    >
    > I try cleaning first, though.

    Can't argue with the basics, but I'll add that some pads squeal more than
    others, and in my experience it has little to do with price or quality,
    but probably more with the harmonics of your bike and its relationship to
    the universe. :p

  5. Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 11 Sep 2004 21:53:01 -0700, [email protected] (Calm n
    > Collected) wrote:
    >
    > >My front brakes are squealing.
    > >They are touching the rim same as the rear.
    > >Any suggestions on how to stop it.
    > >

    > >Thanks.

    > Try cleaning the brake pads and the rim surface. Sandpaper on the
    > brake pads to remove any glazing. I use steel wool on the rims- #0 or
    > so.

    Thanks, a light sanding with 80 grit did the job. I think sunlight and ozone
    had hardened the pad up and the sanding exposed some fresh rubber.

    Now I am trying to find a bike odometer that lasts. I bought the Target brand
    and it quit after 10 days. It was nice not having to connect a cable to the wheel
    like in the 60's. :)

  6. maxo

    maxo Guest

    On Tue, 14 Sep 2004 19:07:04 -0700, Calm n Collected wrote:

    > Now I am trying to find a bike odometer that lasts.

    I've always had luck with the simple Cat-eyes that are usually on sale
    somewhere for under 20usd. Their tiny front and rear LED lights are highly
    recommended for urban trips as well. Easy to remove, batteries last a
    couple months and simple. Best for being seen, not for country lanes. I
    think Nashbar sells clones for a tenner. :D

  7. Chris Goulet

    Chris Goulet Guest

    Dan Daniel <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > On 11 Sep 2004 21:53:01 -0700, [email protected] (Calm n
    > Collected) wrote:
    >
    > >My front brakes are squealing.
    > >They are touching the rim same as the rear.
    > >Any suggestions on how to stop it.
    > >

    > >Thanks.

    > Try cleaning the brake pads and the rim surface. Sandpaper on the
    > brake pads to remove any glazing. I use steel wool on the rims- #0 or
    > so.
    >
    > Toeing in is another possibility. I like to try putting a bevel on the
    > back of the pad first. Sanding- disc sander or Dremel tool- about a
    > 1/4" length by 1/8" depth or so.
    >

    > I try cleaning first, though.

    I had cantilever brakes squeal like a stabbed pig regardless of
    toe-in, cleaning, sanding and new pads. I found some play in the arm
    to frame post pivots, so I inserted washers between the arms and the
    bolts that hold the arms. BINGO! The washers had to be very thin so
    that the arms would not be too tight, or the brakes would not release.
    The washer holes had to be just big enough to fit through the frame
    posts. No play, no squeal.